PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5 : Titan : Suikoden II - Mcdohl

Titan
01-07-2004, 07:11 AM
I FINALLY picked a character to do....great topic BTW, excellent idea....

Suikoden is by far my favorite old RPG and its not even that old PS1, but it is sprite based.....

each game has 108 stars of destiny and part of the game is finding all 108 characters...one of my favorites was this little guy...

http://www.u-238.com/titan/media_uploads/mcdohl.gif His name is Mcdohl. I like many cahracters from the game and loved the character designs as far as sprite based games go, but I chose this one for mostly artistic reasons...the costume, weapon , and colors are very appealing and youthfully heroic....

so lets hope I can do him justice, I'll post sketches of my version as soon as I can:)

thanks

Titan
01-12-2004, 10:08 AM
This is a very rough and quick concept of what I intend to do with the character.....kind of knightly with a few samurai influences ...I may do one more sketch including a character sheet then I'll set to modelling.

http://www.u-238.com/titan/media_uploads/mcdohl_concept.jpg

Zieroth
01-12-2004, 10:43 AM
That kind of has zero resemblance to the original design. I know people are confused as to whether you're supposed to port the 2D design to 3D, or else give the design a bit of your own spin, but having your model recognizable as the orginal character seems like something that must be in the outcome. I dunno. I might be wrong.

Beaneh
01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
I love the concept, but like Zieroth said, it doesn't really resemble the original concept. You might want to keep some stuff like the green bandana that really show what character you are making.

Zieroth
01-12-2004, 11:23 AM
The tabard and staff, too. Tabard because it covers around 50% of him, and is a huge visual draw, next to the green bandana. I can see your concept holding a staff, but it's importance is downplayed by the sword. I've never played Suikoden 1 or 2, so I don't know if he uses solely staves, but from what I've seen, he only ever has one. That's pretty unique about him, the fact that he uses that instead of a standard issue sword, and that also helps to add to his image. Mainly I'm saying don't downplay the staff.

Titan
01-12-2004, 05:47 PM
thanks for the replies,

believe it or not this is about the 6th sketch I did of this character, the first 3 were very true to the original sprite, but I just couldnt make them interesting enough, and since the rules stated that we should design them the way we imagined them, I tried to give him a more original twist.

I tried a few armour designs, since throughout the game youre character eventually becomes a general and leads armies into battle this would stay true to the spirit of the game.

I had a couple different versions with the green headband and will definately incorporate it into the finished design.

I may lose the sword, or just reduce it to a dagger or something( I like to go detail crazy when I draw, the sword and the numerous buckles were a direct result). I'll see what I can do about incorporating more of the tabard..

thanks everyone

Titan
01-13-2004, 05:29 AM
hi everyone...this is my revised sketch...its a lot closer to the originalsprite...compare it to the above sketch...I've added the bandana, lost the sword, lightened the armor and made the tunic much more aparent...
I like this version and will probably go on to modelling...thanks everyone, hope you like.

http://www.u-238.com/titan/media_uploads/mcdohl_concept2.jpg

aesir
01-13-2004, 06:07 AM
I'd keep the last sketch but add long hair. That hair better be green too!

Supervlieg
01-13-2004, 07:46 AM
I like the second sketch better, because it has a closer relation to the sprite compared to the earlier sketch.

Its not so much the hair that is green, it's the bandana.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.