PDA

View Full Version : Looking for resources/help on learning texturing.

Greenlief
06-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Hey everybody! I've been lurking on cgtalk for a few weeks, finally decided to sign up. First off, just want to say that you are all very talented! Some of the stuff you guys post here is unbelievable!

OK, I've been using max for a few months now, and I have got the modelling aspect down. My problem is with texturing. I know how to use the basic tools, and I have read through Leighs tutorials (a bit too advanced), just wondering if you guys knew of any good tutorials or references to help me figure it all out? I'm confused about UV maps, and the proper use of bump maps, etc. My images so far seem too flawless and plastic, and I was just wondering what resources you people used to master the art of texturing.

leigh
06-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Hey there...
For starters, check this out:
Realistic Texturing (http://www.rethinkfx.com/tutorials/texture.htm)

Other than doing tutorials though, why not post some of your stuff here? That way people can directly address which aspects you need to work on :)

Greenlief
06-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the link, I will read that over. I will attempt to post a pair of images that are giving me trouble. They are from a little animated short that I've just started working on. I'm not going for a photorealistic approach, considering it stars gumby ;)

Greenlief
06-21-2002, 04:31 PM
And this is his bedroom.

leigh
06-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Firstly, I didn't notice it before - AWESOME SIGNATURE!!! The Evil Dead films rule!! :buttrock:

Ok, your renders....
I think the main problem is that they are too sterile. I know you aren't going for photorealism, but your renders still need some meaasure of believability in order to capture your audience - people need something that they can relate to.

This isn't strictly a texturing thing either - you could also help to alleviate this problem by modelling small arbitrary household items and adding them to that room scene, for starters. Make it look like somebody lives there. You have a shelf - put stuff on it!! Books, ornaments, toys, whatever... just add them!

With regards to texturing though, what you really need is some variation. That overall green thing isn't really working. Add more colours. Then, give your objects surfaces more definition - by using specularity - that's the easiest way to start showing differences between different substances/surfaces.

What you also need to do is have a clear image in your mind of how you want this room to end up looking like.
What is the bed made out of? What kind of wood?
What kind of carpet is it? Is it coarse or fine or shaggy? Will there be any patterns woven into it?
What kind of fabric is the curtains made out of??

All this kind of stuff you need to know.

You need to know in your mind how the different objects would feel if you were to touch them, you need to know how you want them to look in the light. You need to know EXACTLY what kind of mood the room has to have....
Only once you have a perfect "vision" of how it will look, can you begin to slowly start building the textures up, and mould your scene so that it looks the way you envisioned it :)

Greenlief
06-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will put much more into the scene for sure, and I will vary the colors as well. And yes the Evil Dead films do rule!! Always nice to run into another deadite!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.