PDA

View Full Version : EXPOSE' 2 Entries - see them here

Leonard
01-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Hi all,

EXPOSE' 2 entries are continuing to pour in and it's critical that artists get your entries in before 29 January (deadline).

You can now check out the submitted entries here:
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/bsw/viewEntries.php

Generally, the quality of entries for EXPOSE' 2 are excellent, with over 750 entries now. We are a little short on the 3D entries and the architectural entries currently, so make sure you get your entries in, or encourage your friends to enter!

Cheers,

Leonard

Icarus
01-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Wow, Im looking foward to Seeing Expose 2, Going to be Great!

Good luck to all :)

Antonbomb22
01-07-2004, 05:24 AM
wow some great images for expose2 so far:beer: ;)

bentllama
01-07-2004, 05:27 AM
very nice entries.

I am looking forward to this book.

Mahlikus
01-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Looks like they need to extend the deadline.

PixelShader
01-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Mahlikus
Looks like they need to extend the deadline.

This simply isn't true. Look at the quality of the entries. They are overall better than Expose 1 and they have enough to already put together a book that outclasses the first.

I remember when the entries for Expose 1 were closing, more than half the entries were uploaded in the last week of entries and hundreds in the final 24 hours till their FTP server crunched.

Leo's comment was just that the ratio of 2D vs 3D at this point in time looks like there are a lot more 2D works.

Expose 2 is going to rock. They don't need to extend the deadline at all.

Geoff

Berserker
01-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Yes, and it seems like the quality of the 2D work is far better than the 3D.

I kinda agree with "Mahlikus".

PixelShader
01-07-2004, 06:06 AM
If they extend the deadline, no-one's going to get the book by SIGGRAPH. That's not what we want is it? Besides, if you don't have entries in time for Expose 2, then just save it for Expose 3.

Whatever the case, it really looks like Expose 2 is going to be another excellent compilation of artwork from the digital arts community!

Peace,

Geoff

RockinAkin
01-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Wow - Thats some VERY impressive work displayed right there.
Looks like this is gonna be above and beyond what Expose 1 was.

A quick question - once you upload an entry now, does it immediatly show up on that website, or is it updated every now and then?

MaDSheeP
01-07-2004, 06:46 AM
i think more 2d to 3d is just fine =)

3d is all good, but I just love paintings, so i'm biased ;)

also, are there going to be limited editions of this one also? or was that just for Expose 1, and there are going to be soft, hard, and leather bound editions of this one?

/me starts saving

Mahlikus
01-07-2004, 06:46 AM
Exactly Pixelshader...thats the boat I am in. I ment extend the deadline because of the amount of entries...doesnt seem like much..thats all..IMO. No offense ment by it.

Leonard
01-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Hi,

Re: do the images show up immediately?
I'm pretty sure that they do.

Re: Editions
Yes. We're doing all three editions again including the Limited Edition, but they will be done through a different printer and binders to improve the quality. Paper will be thicker too.

The deadline shouldn't impact the quality of the book. From what we've seen so far, the general quality of the entries for EXPOSE' 2 are really above and beyond what we had for EXPOSE' 1. In EXPOSE' 1, we had a lot of entries, but a lot of them were also WIP's or technical tests that weren't really suitable for EXPOSE'. This time round, the artists know exactly what's expected and have entered a lot of quality stuff.

With only a few weeks left, now's the crunch time!

Leonard

BnE
01-07-2004, 07:37 AM
hi there!
do you mean, that all the works presented in the submitted entries gallery will be printed in EXPOSE II ?

Garma
01-07-2004, 07:45 AM
well, concluding from these entries I don't think the deadline needs to be extended :applause: taking into consideration the suspected rush in the end.

amazing quality. keep rocking.

Leonard
01-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by BnE
hi there!
do you mean, that all the works presented in the submitted entries gallery will be printed in EXPOSE II ?

Heya,

This gallery is to show what has been submitted for EXPOSE' 2. This is so that everyone can see the images, and can notify the publishers if there are any fraudulant entries, or any 'fakes' as we experienced in EXPOSE' 1 with a couple of images. We also hope that everyone can see what's being submitted and this will inspire you to submit your own works.

After January 29th, the jury members will then go through a gruelling process of selecting the final entries that will be published in EXPOSE' 2, the award winners, and the Grand Master.

The advisory committee and jury for EXPOSE' 2 are:

- Syd Mead, Visual Futurist
- Feng Zhu, Concept Designer
- Diana Walzcak, Kleiser-Walzcak
- Chris Sloan, National Geographic
- Lorne Lanning, Oddworld Inhabitants
- Bay Raitt, Weta Digital
- Alex Morris, Hayes Davidson
- Andrew Hartness, Ateliers Jean-Nouvell

You should all be familiar with at least a few of the names in that list!

Leonard

BnE
01-07-2004, 08:02 AM
hmmm.. ok, i understand now. Thanx. Extremely nice works in the gallery BTW !

headengine
01-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Mmmmmm - thicker paper on the LE, very very good call :D

halo
01-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Matthew Armstrong seems popular, 11 images!

phoenix
01-07-2004, 09:51 AM
excellent work so far

SuperMax
01-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Super Hot work in those.

I see a fair amount of images got their inspiration from Frazetta work. I love it!!

Like the car crash one. Hehehe, how could u destroy a nice car model mesh like that!!!

siquier
01-07-2004, 12:30 PM
hmmm... very few spanish guys

Olijosman? JJ.Palomo? Carles Piles? Proebius? P. Ayala brothers? Enrique Gato? D.M.Lara? De Espona? Victor Garrido? etc...

Krang
01-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Wow...look at those entries...and the jury!!!

Pretty intimidating...

Still, I'll send in a picture I've been working hard on...at 11:58pm on January 28th.

Okay, I'll try to get it in earlier.

By the way, you said you have had ~750 entries. Sorry if this has been answered previously, but how many pictures can you fit in Expose 2? Didn't Expose 1 have about 500? Is Expose 2 going to be bigger?

Thanks, and good luck with Expose 2, even if I don't get in.

rickycox
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
There may be a few more entries coming in after the Alienware challenge finishes.

If I make it in time I'll submit mine. Glad to hear thicker paper. If your taking requests I'd like to see higher quality white paper and less glossy.

Great to see so many entries, good luck with it. :thumbsup:

mattregnier
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Leo-

You said that a different company/publisher would be publishing the book. After having received the limited edition hardback copy for expose 1, is the design/improvements going to make the second book stand out/differ when it's set next to the first one on a shelf?

I want to keep collecting the limited edition hardbacks, and make sure they all are relatively the same looking :)

thx-

Leonard
01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Hi Matt,

We're keeping the design consistent so that the series will look beautiful on the shelf. We feel that we can produce a far better quality publication by shifting to another printer that has shown more experience in handling this type of book (lot's of pictures, lot's of ink, high numbers). The major improvements will be in the quality of the binding, and the thicker pages. Ballistic Publishing will still be producing the book, however it will be printed and bound at a different place.

Although we've set a high standard with EXPOSE' 1, we're not resting on our laurels. We pledge to this community that EXPOSE' 2 will go far beyond what you've seen with our first book.

Pages will be black again. It's simple, sexy and stylish.

Best,

Leonard

John P.
01-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I've been trying desperately to upload an entry, but have failed five times.

At first I got error messages in e-mails saying it wasn't a .zip file I had uploaded, which it was.

I had been using WinRAR to make the .zip file, so I thought OK, maybe I should try making the .zip using WinZip, since that's the "industry standard" in .zip file generation(or something).

In both instances, I saved it using the Normal compression method, and nothing else 'fancy'.

Then the .zip seemed to work OK, but I then got error messages saying the file inside the .zip couldn't be converted into .jpeg, most likely because the file isn't in .tif format. Which it is.

I first saved it as a .tif using Photoshop, but got the error message. But to see if it would make a difference, I then saved it using Corel Painter 8.

Didn't use any compression in either case, and saved as RGB.

The image is 300dpi, 3333x2700 pixels and the .zip is about 13.7MB. I know there are size limitations of the images, but when I red through the rules, I thought it said they were guidelines, and not strict. Plus the size is pretty much close to those limits anyway.

So what I was wondering was if you know if the size is the problem, or something else?

What was the exact size the rules said the image had to be anyway?

I have generated both the .tif and the .zip numerous times, and tested the .zip, but I always get the error message in an e-mail right after upload.

I have a cable connection, but only get about 15KB/sec upload, but it seems to be stable. And I have checked that the .zip is the same KB size after I've uploaded it.

I haven't done anything weird either. It's a .tif image inside a .zip, and that's it.

Anyone able to help?

eYadNesS
01-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Just I wonder, why we don't see this galleries in CGTalk gallery!? :hmm:

eevilmouse
01-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Whoo Hoo on the better Binding. I didnt think the Paper was all that bad, It did seam a little thin. But I made sure I purchased the Hardback as I wanted this book to last. ALAS the binding Cracked on the Second viewing...even though I was VERY Carefull. sigh, Its horrible, especally on a hardback, I now have to be carefull when I get to that section.

That being said, the pictures were still amazeing, and I am looking forward to the second edition, and may even have enough time to submit somthing for the third. BUt I am glad to hear that you are upgradeing the Quality of the book binding.

digitalx3d
01-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Leonard,

The gallery of submissions doesn't show work that was submitted for Exposť1 that was not accepted. (at least I don't think it does.) Are those images going to be reconsidered? Can we modify those images and resubmit them?

Thx,
John Pruden
Digital-X

raycerx
01-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey John P. I had the problems as well, CHECK for spaces in the names of your files! Our tech guy here figured it out. For me it worked. I had tried numerous times and I kept getting an error message. Then, after removing any and all spaces, everything worked perfect!
Let me know if that was your problem. Otherwise I do not know what to suggest. good luck!

Cameo
01-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Quick suggestion, dont know if it's a small database/html fix or its actually more like hard work. How about being able to view the entries by category as opposed to artist?

arliss
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
We are a little short on the 3D entries and the architectural entries currently

Hi Leo-

I know this is probably stated somewhere, for that I appologize- but what constitutes an entry as 3D specifically?

I'm curious to see how you guys are looking at it- does a piece need to be modelled, textured, lit, rendered (the whole nine yards) to be considered 3D?

Or, for example, can model who was then handpainted be entered as 3D or is that then rendered 2D?

I assume its the former since you stated you are short on 3D

John P.
01-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by raycerx
Hey John P. I had the problems as well, CHECK for spaces in the names of your files! Our tech guy here figured it out. For me it worked. I had tried numerous times and I kept getting an error message. Then, after removing any and all spaces, everything worked perfect!
Let me know if that was your problem. Otherwise I do not know what to suggest. good luck!

Thank you!

I was really pulling my hair out with this one!

It turned out both the .tif and the .zip file names had to be without spaces. I kinda found out that the .zip had to be without spaces myself, but...

I think they could've mentioned this somewhere in the guidelines...

Heh - not that I have a snowflake's chance in a very hot place to actually make it into the book, but hey - nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say. :)

Riddick
01-07-2004, 08:33 PM
This book is going to be a very beautiful object.
There are many artists of big talent in this list.
Thank you for this exclusive gallery.:thumbsup: :applause: :p

MarkSnoswell
01-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Cameo
Quick suggestion, dont know if it's a small database/html fix or its actually more like hard work. How about being able to view the entries by category as opposed to artist?

In time we will implement extensive filters to view entries by and you will be able to access entries for all books, past and present, at one time.

This will become an invaluable resource for people such as Chris Sloan at National Geographic when they are searching for artists to do contract work. This is the, number one, major reason for showing of all submitted work on the web -- it's a permanent and professional portfolio of artists work and should generate real work for many artists.

There are several other reasons for showing all the entries:

1. By showing the entries before the judging starts we give maximum opportunity for any copyright infringements to be noticed and addressed.

2. Even if you donít get in print you will get into the public web gallery.

3. Artists can log on and keep their contact details up to date.

4. This will grow to constitute a perpetual history of digital art across every category.

Ö and itís a crucial part of our overall goal of enhancing the global digital arts community.
Ö and itís free!

MarkSnoswell
01-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by arliss
Hi Leo-

I know this is probably stated somewhere, for that I appologize- but what constitutes an entry as 3D specifically?

I'm curious to see how you guys are looking at it- does a piece need to be modelled, textured, lit, rendered (the whole nine yards) to be considered 3D?

Or, for example, can model who was then handpainted be entered as 3D or is that then rendered 2D?

I assume its the former since you stated you are short on 3D

It's tough to categorize images sometimes. The biggest clue is if the artist list's 3D software used in the creation of the image.

Next week we will anounce the categories for the EXPOS… II AWARDS.

These will be simillar to last years categories but we will have to introduce some new ones based on the great wealth of illustrated entries.

DJB343
01-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Mark Snoswell and all of the Expose team, you all did a beautiful job of Expose 1 and im sure it aint gonna be any different for Expose II, but i do feel for all the judges for Expose II, there are loads upon loads of extremely amazing artwork thats been submitted.

eparts
01-07-2004, 11:10 PM
puh im done with my submissions :p
I am so excited about Expose 2!
I am really looking forward to it, and I see already the great work that has been submitted.

i think its a great submit system! Great survey and gets quickly published after uploaded

:bounce:

Mibus
01-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Heya guys!

If you ever have trouble uploading, email us, don't just talk about it on the forum :-)
(info@ballisticpublishing.com will do).

Anyway... the "spaces in filename" thing is a bug that I found and fixed just this morning. It wasn't designed that way, otherwise we *would* have mentioned it in the guidelines. Anyone who has had trouble uploading should try again.

Actually, they should check their "Edit Entries" page first, I've just made the system re-process a whole bunch of failed uploads.

I've also noted a few people have had trouble uploading, and from what I've seen so far it's because they're behind firewalls and don't have "Passive FTP" enabled. So if you can log in to the FTP site, but get "No route to host" or "Could not build connection" messages, try enabling Passive FTP in your client.

A few people have also tried uploading multiple files into the one directory. It doesn't work :). Upload *one* ZIP file. No other ZIP files, no text files, nothing but that one ZIP file.

Some people have asked about deleting images from their profile... it's coming, but we have other work to do as well :-). If you title your image in an obvious way ("Delete this" etc.), it won't be considered for the book :). Hopefully we'll have deletion in before then though.

The gallery is separate from the CGTalk gallery simply because it's a separate system :-)

Entries should show up on the "View Entries" page instantly after they are confirmed by the artist. Caching by proxies might affect that though.

Having a quick look at the entries directory, it would appear that between d'Artiste and EXPOSE' 2, there are:
- 80 Unconfirmed images
- 853 Confirmed images (all viewable online)
- 818 of the images that have been viewed online.

We're talking 22GB of TIFFs here!

And lastly, don't forget to get your entries in on time!

Kirt
01-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Mark and/or Leonard - are 2D entries to Exposť II automatically considered for d'Artiste? Or are separate submissions needed for each?

Valkyrien
01-08-2004, 02:35 AM
looks AWESOME! how soon can I preorder my limited edition?:)

d_hansbury
01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I hope a quarter of those entries never see print because it would be embarrassing for Expose.

PixelShader
01-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by d_hansbury
I hope a quarter of those entries never see print because it would be embarrassing for Expose.

That's why they have a jury. They won't disappoint!

Geoff

ryguy
01-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Impressive stuff.

Bliz
01-08-2004, 08:52 PM
One of the guidelines on the Ballistic site

"A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI. "

I'm nearly ready to submit a pic. but I'm wondering if there is any point rendering it out higher than 2657 pixels wide?

My pic is a standard 4:3 aspect ratio so would submitting it at 4848 x 3636 by better for the Ballistic people than 2657 x 1993 (rounded up from 1992.75)

I'm just thinking about render times. I don't mind waiting twice as long for a bigger render to finish but if it doesn't improve anything at the publishing end then I can have my machine doing something else instead. ;)

Riddick
01-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Does we have more chance to be in Exposť 2 if we post 4 drawings than if we post just one?

The jury also counts the site of the person or / and indeed his(her) passive?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.