PDA

View Full Version : Animation: DDRbot

Game-boi
01-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been working on this short on and off when I could get the time. I used Maya 4.5, Photoshop, and After Effects. This is the first work I've posted up here, so I'm anxious for crits and comments! I'm not going for something with a plot with this piece. This has been an idea that I've always wanted to do since the first time I played the game. I've played the song more times than one might believe, but I think it was worth it! :)

http://homepage.mac.com/scadboy/banner.jpg

Lo-Res Quicktime Movie (6.9 MB) (http://www.game-boi.com/ani/ddrbot.html)

Mid-Res MPEG 4 Movie (11.9 MB) (http://www.game-boi.com/ani/DDRbot.mp4)

High-Res Divx AVI (14.3 MB) (http://www.game-boi.com/ani/divx/DDRbot.avi)

The_Magician
01-07-2004, 02:29 AM
hehe, fun concept to work with

your character lacks wieght, most of his movments seem like they are gliding around effortlessly. Whenever I see people going at those dancing machines, they all seem to be putting everything they've got into every movement, jumping and many stomping those buttons hard. then they get off the machine sweating and breathing hard.

your guy seems to be floating, and not really putting much into his movements, and only very lightly touching each button pad incase he breaks it.

Try using his chest to show weight, at the moment its really stiff. But its good to see you've given thought to the hands, and what they're doing, and his body positioning when standing on one leg is good.

EnzoIce
01-07-2004, 02:38 AM
Yeah, it's body location works with what a real ddr player would be doing. But there is a lot of body movement going on and force being put into keeping up the dance. I usually lean into my steps. The jump parts I couldn't really tell your robot was jumping. I really like the idea, and you should keep it up.

HenningK
01-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Its a bit long to go without a climax or even intensification. He just dances. and dances some more.
-hen

Game-boi
01-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

The_Magician: I guess I was afraid over-exaggerating some of the movements. Thanks for the tips about the chest, I'll be sure to try that.

EnzoIce: Should he jump higher or should the motion be more exagerated? One of the factors of working with the game footage was that I had to keep up with it. and only given 6-8 in between steps. I think the timing is right, but...

HenningK: I was just going for a simple simulation. :shrug:

Anyways, thanks to you guys for getting back to me. A lot of people watched it, I just wish that more would leave me comments.

-Chris

Shaykai
01-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Hey game-boi!
I've had a similier idea floating in my head for a while, but i never completed it. I think your guy moves a little slow, and its not very intense. You should download some of the videos of pro's playing ddr off of kazaa or something (if you want i can send them to you over AIM).
When playing DDR i kind of have 2 modes of playing, light mode dancing, and standard mode dancing. When i'm on standard mode i dance just like the robot was, not lifting my feet off the pads. But when i dance in light mode i keep moving at least one foot onto the middle between steps. Its not necissary but it adds movement and it helps you keep the beat. I think if you tried this way with your robot it would look better. Maybe add some spins and knee drops to his dance too. If you don't mind my asking where did you get the DDR video for him to dance to? Anyway, great job!

Shaykai

Game-boi
01-07-2004, 03:57 PM
The footage was from me playing the song and recording it. I just wish that I didn't get that one "good" step. I would have had all Perfects and Greats then...

Anyways, yeah. I guess I should have animated the light mode version as it would have allowed me more space to do things like drops, spins, etc.

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.