PDA

View Full Version : >>Environment: Building

SecretAgent
01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi guys, I just recently finished this building scene as part of a 2 part test for a game company. I had no technical limitations so I made it look as good as I could.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Bldg_01.jpg
http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Bldg_03.jpg
http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Bldg_04.jpg

SecretAgent
01-06-2004, 09:44 PM
here are a few of the textures and close ups of the props.

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Props01.jpg
http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Textures01.jpg http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Textures02.jpg

Beaneh
01-06-2004, 09:57 PM
seriously top notch work man, textures are -awsome-.. since this is for a company test, I assume this is supposed to get you a job? well, I hope you'll get it cause it would be very stupid to let a man with your talent go..

h0pesfall
01-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Heh, you'll get the job. Trust me. flawless.

red3d
01-06-2004, 10:46 PM
really nice work :)

if its a work test then maby bake i shadowmap also ?

JonasNoell
01-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Lookin' really nice, texture work is really great! Nice style, keep us updated how it worked out with that job thing!

SecretAgent
01-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Thanks a lot guys! It's really nice to hear some
positive feedback after working really hard
on this.

I will defenitley let you know if I get the job or
not, *crosses fingers*

RmachucaA
01-07-2004, 03:47 AM
looking very good! how many tri's?

hope you get the job!

cparrish
01-07-2004, 07:17 AM
great work only thing that strikes me as "off" is the either the post of the no parking sign looks to large or else the sign itself too small, you may have a reference that says otherwise but im just nitpicking and quit a stretch at that.

-edit-

one other thing is that hand rails like the ones near the loading bay generally have the support poles in the corners were they kink.

kleinluka
01-07-2004, 01:16 PM
looks great ! nice job on the textures!!
One suggestion: tone down those yellow poles and the bright yellow air ventilation things from the pic below:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/kleinluka/dwafwa.jpg

they are a bit distracting cause they are not in balance with the rest of the textures.. just darken them down a bit and decrease contrast.

Great work overall. Nice model too. I'm sure you'll get the job!

SecretAgent
01-07-2004, 05:16 PM
>>cparrish: The parking sign might be a little off in height, I made it about eye level for a character - I'm not sure it that was right or not. Thanks though.

>>kleinluka: I totally agree w/you about the contrast of the AC units and the parking posts, they are a little too bright and saturated. I'll fix them when I get a chance. Thanks.

BoromirNo1
01-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Very nice.

Looks good enough for Max Payne 3 ti me

kleinluka
01-07-2004, 06:58 PM
may i know what company you're applying for? :>

kained
01-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Very nice, i wouldn't notice the difference between this and running around a professional building from some of the latest fps.

What sort of specification were you given for the test?

SecretAgent
01-08-2004, 02:52 AM
>>RmachucaA: the whole scene came out to around 6898 polygons (triangulated).

>>BoromirNo1: Thanks. I still need to play the Mas Payne games.

>> kleinluka: ....well, I was really apprehensive to mention them until after I find out whats gonna happen to my fate but, oh well. It's 2015.

DreiGrasheir
01-08-2004, 05:50 AM
excellent work. the only things that dont sit right with me are the loading doock cement texture and the railing texture. the railing is probably just because its so close to the camera, so its might not be bad (try adding some rust to it to go with the theme). The cement i would definitley do something with though... maybe some stains on it? other than that, its awesome.

SecretAgent
01-08-2004, 07:52 PM
>>DreiGrasheir: ah, yeah the rail and cement texture are both small repeatables so I was afraid to add any kind of real distinct rust/grime patterns - I thought they might be way to obvious in the pattern repeat.

DreiGrasheir
01-08-2004, 07:59 PM
here's something i was thinking a while ago for level design, but never really got around to trying out (because i havent done any real levels yet o.O), but what about layered shader networks? (i know they're in maya, and would assume they're in other programs as well) you could have your repeating texture underneath another texture of oil or rust, with alpha where it is not. since this was just an idea, im curious: would this ever work for games, or are shading networks too complicated for them?

Matt
01-08-2004, 09:08 PM
How long did this take you? How long did they give you to do it?

What's the other test like?

Excellent work.

three
01-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Looking really good there Eric22.
I'm trying to model buildings for a CRPG, but they all turn out crappy :)
How about posting a wireframe of your model?
I think it would really benefit us that are just getting started at that sort of modeling.

Rock on.

Hope you get the job.

albinochicken
01-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Very nice work overall ... I think the theme turned out super!

As for the before-mentioned ideas ... I agree that the signpost/sign isn't in proportion, and that something with the concrete needs to be done. Maybe add some wear marks where the trucks would be docking?

Which brings me to talk about DreiGrasheir's question. I am just starting out too, but my understanding is that many game engines now support Multi-Texturing (Layered Textures). Anyone with more input please let us know. (NOTE: Maya seems to not like Layered Textures (NOT Layered Shaders -- different) all too well though. I had lots of problems with them.)

Razorwolf
01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Even my 100$ engine support texture blending. So you can basically have a standard texture for the building and add different dirt patterns or details.

spm
01-09-2004, 04:37 PM
no technical limits? then why not boost texture size and polycount (at round places)?

Matt
01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by albinochicken
Maybe add some wear marks where the trucks would be docking?

Semi tractors have exhaust pipes pointing up. They don't leave exhaust or 'wear' like a typical car would.

Maybe some oil drips, etc. would work though.

SecretAgent
01-09-2004, 05:47 PM
>>three: I will post a wireframe shot soon.

>>DreiGrasheir: yeah, layered texture is something that I think some games use in one way or another. I notice some games simply create a seperate plan w/an alpha texture map to represent grease or slime drips or graphitti. I think everyone does it a little differently but, I'm still learning about this stuff.

>>Matt: I had roughly over 3 weeks (it spanned over the holiday, so I lost a little time). I spent about 2 weeks on the building and a little over 1 week on the room interior. *The room link is in the bottom of my post if you want to see it.*

SecretAgent
01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
By the way, I just had a phone interview with the company and I think it went pretty well, even if I did sound really nervous, heh. They gave me some great feedback on the test and I learned a little more about the industry. I'm defeintely excited and hope things pan out for the best - I totaly want the job.

*fingers crossed* heh

SecretAgent
01-10-2004, 01:06 AM
I updated a few of the textures and here are some wireframe
shots also.

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Bldg_adjustments.jpg
http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Bldg_wireframe1.jpg
http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Building/Bldg_wireframe2.jpg

albinochicken
01-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Semi tractors have exhaust pipes pointing up. They don't leave exhaust or 'wear' like a typical car would.

Sorry, Matt, I guess I should clarify. I meant 'wear' marks from the traffic of trucks backing in on the main ground near the docks... like worn out tire marks, etc. Oil drips and stuff is good too.

come to think of it... without looking at the picture, I seem to now remember that there was a solid curb all the way around ... maybe would want to put in a spot for the trucks/etc to pull in. 8-)

Still though, it looks awesome and I certainly hope you get the job ... you have a great eye. 8-)

hellbender
01-10-2004, 11:35 AM
really amazing texture work, and also the color/shading balance it's wonderful. Keep it up.

kleinluka
01-10-2004, 12:24 PM
one more thing I just noticed looking at the new pics..

the pipes and the metal fences... They look very untouched. You should try adding some more metallic shading to them and increasing color variation and adding rust and all the good stuff. And as already mentioned by somebody else: If you were given no technical limits, why don't you use more high-res textures ? Like 512's and above?

Anyways, keep em coming ;)

mindrot
01-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Great work. I hope you get the job.

The only thing that seems a bit off to me is that the street lamps infront look too close to the building. Leaving no place for padestrians. They seem to squashed in.

Good luck....

samgrice
01-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Great work Eric, i really hope you get the job, man you've been looking for work for ages, i cant believe you havent been picked up yet. The work you do is better than most people IN the games industry and this latest piece is no exeption, excelent modelling and texturing. You must have an aesome portfolio by now!!

I really hope you get the job, working for 2015 would be sweet!

Matt
01-10-2004, 11:30 PM
You know what the building reminds me of? In TMNT for the NES, the buildings in the overworld, where you select what level you're going to go to in the first few acts.

SecretAgent
01-11-2004, 10:00 PM
>>samgrice: Hey Sam! Thanks a lot for the compliments although I think there are people out there who are way better than me but, I really wanna do this so I gotta keep on trying till I get in.

I've been looking for just over a year now and have learned a lot more and improved a lot since my early 3D work. From what I've heard, it takes about a year or so to get in - especially now since there is an extreme amount of competition out there.

*crossing my fingers*

>>Matt: Ha! Oh no! TMNT has come up again on these boards, ha ha! I probably subconsiously added elemets from that old game to this building ha ha!

>>mindrot: well, I did use a human 3D model of mine for proportions on the building so the sidewalk should be wide enough for those human scum to walk on. heh heh.

>>kleinluka: ah, those are small repeatable textures so it's kinda hard to add too much detail without making things obciously repeated but, I understand what you mean.

>>hellbender: Thanks man! That means a lot to me.

TRyanD
01-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Eric22
>> kleinluka: ....well, I was really apprehensive to mention them until after I find out whats gonna happen to my fate but, oh well. It's 2015.

Ahh you bitch :P

I live like 10 minutes from them heh, tried to apply there for internship over a year ago, but i wasnt very good at the time and was pretty unprofesional about it (using major high for a mail and name isnt a bright idea :P). Maybee ill seeya there one day hopefully :O

SecretAgent
01-12-2004, 05:23 PM
>>TRyanD: I actually applied to them way back last March also, my work was pretty rough back then and not at all what they were looking for. This is now my second time applying to them, trying my hardest.

simarilius
01-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Very nice work, cant find much to crit really.
The only thing that I did spot that looks off is the wall above the loading bay door, you've put the top of the doorway right through the middle of a row of bricks, not too good an idea. Applying the arch bit from above the big windows would neaten it up.

Other minor things, you dont have any window sills, if they went to the trouble of putting the arches above they'd probably have put sills below. Using a pavement width that was a multiple of the slab width on the texture would probably look better too.

nice stuff tho, good luck with the job.

sim

dcroeser
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Very nice stuff and I'm rooting for you as well. I would be interested to hear a bit more about your textures. Do you sample from photos etc. and touch up in Photoshop?

SecretAgent
01-13-2004, 05:29 AM
>>simarilius: Thanks. yeah, I probably should've added window sills, my mistake.

>>dcroeser: I mainly use photos to help grunge up my painted textures such as in seperate layers on top of the painted elements. Some textures like the bricks are photos with slight alterations I made (didn't really have the time to paint a nice brick pattern on this test). I ultimately try and paint as much as I can though. Hope that makes a little more sense. One day when I get a website up, I'll defintely share all the stuff I've learned and know.

Mongrel
01-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Man can you or anyone else help me with doing textures? mine look awfull, especially the ground tex, Using Maya 5 and Photoshop 7, Map is 5000 X5000, (Demo map), Ive tried textures from 75X75 and up, This is a screen shot out of Maya,
http://wickedcity.bravehost.com/contact.html
Can anyone please help!! Thanks Aaron

albinochicken
01-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Mongrel ...

first, I would start a new post really ... but one quick note is that you really need to create textures that are powers of 2 .... 32x32; 64x64; 128; 256; ;512; 1024 .... even if you are not creating content for games, cuz Maya (don't know about other programs) will choke on non-powers of 2 textures and slow down. Also, I think that the max in Maya is possibly 2048x2048. You can also create non-square textures, but stick to the powers of 2 rule (i.e. 128x256).

DreiGrasheir
01-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by albinochicken
you really need to create textures that are powers of 2 .... 32x32; 64x64; 128; 256; ;512; 1024 .... even if you are not creating content for games, cuz Maya (don't know about other programs) will choke on non-powers of 2 textures and slow down.

thios goes for 3DS Max as well, but i agree a new thread needs to be started for this.

Mongrel
01-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Sorry guys, just seen erics work and thought it was great and wanted to get hia attention

albinochicken
01-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Mongrel ....

Sorry ... hope I didn't sound like a jerk ... not intentional if I did ... oops!!! 8-)

Anyway, I was just mentioning that if you wanted to start talking about textures and how to create them, you could start a new thread cuz it could be a long one. 8-) But definitely ask questions to those that are good .... and this is definitely the place!

There are tons of great tutorials out there too ... are you using Photoshop??? Just do a google search.

Mongrel
01-15-2004, 04:36 AM
Hey no foul, Just frustrated been at this to long, I'll start that thread and see what happens! thanks again!

SecretAgent
01-15-2004, 04:52 AM
>>Mongrel: Did you get the PM's I sent you on how I thought you could fix that texturing problem? Let me know if that helped at all.

Mongrel
01-15-2004, 06:06 AM
Hey ya I received them but Im still missing something, Still blurred. its late so im gonna hang it up for the night and try tomorrow, Will post then

dcroeser
01-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Mongrel and anyone else who is interested, have a look at the following article. It has some nice tips on creating tileable textures from photographic images.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010523/hajba_01.htm

SecretAgent
01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
>>dcroeser: That's an excellent article - I've never used the High Pass filter before but, I'm definitely gonna try that out next chance I get.

I thought Mongrel's texture resolution problem is in his shader settings for that grass/ground texture (hardware texture quality should be set to default - if he's using maya). He says that's not it though, so I'm not sure why if would be so blurry then.

dcroeser
01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
It is a very useful technique. Peter Hajba (the author) was part of the dev team for Max Payne and Max Payne 2.

Not quite sure how to help Mongrel. I am using 3ds Max 6 at the moment but know a bit about Maya 4. If it is hardware related perhaps he could fix it with updated video card drivers or something.

albinochicken
01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
that IS a great article! 8-) I tried it out on a random brick texture and immediately the results were there. It wasn't perfect (cuz the source image isn't all too great), but with a bit more tweaking it will work I think.

Thanks!

Lee3dee
01-16-2004, 05:32 PM
what company are u applying to? and is this typical test for an environmental artist? reason im asking, is I'm gearing my reel towards that area, and maybe I should start creating these types of environments in my portfolio.

SecretAgent
01-16-2004, 05:49 PM
>>Lee3dee: I did the test for 2015. I'm no expert but, the test subject matter really depends on the company you apply to but, generally from the tests I've done for Env. positions - they want you to create a building exterior and/or room interior with some props (I recommend you create lots of props).

Most importantly try and keep your work styled to where ever you want to apply - hence, if you want to apply to companies that creat fantasy games, create fantasy environments and props.

I hope that helps you a little.

Sammy
02-08-2004, 05:26 AM
you've inspired me to work on my own warehouse building Eric. I'll post my stills in a few days. I've unwrapped it all -- now I'm prepping everything for the texturing. I'd appreciate some comments and crits from you.

Rock on!

_Sammy

http://www.lilypad.ca/briefcase/warehouse_shot.jpg

Matt
02-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Sammy, have you considered welding the verts from the window arch to the corner verts of the building? Or, did that give you bad shading results?

The fences look really nice.

erik2003
02-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Nice model!

Don't know if this is said already:
in the first image, the brick wall is wrapped where it has a corner (just left of the grey slide door) -- this is not the way the bricks behave in the real world. They would look very different from the side. Just walk to a brick wall and look at the inset of a door or where it goes around the corner.

Cool model tho

E.

SecretAgent
02-08-2004, 06:56 PM
>>erik2003: Thanks! Yeah, I know the brick pattern should be different around the corners but, since it's intended to be a game model I had to use a repeatable texture to save textr space. I understand your crit though, maybe I'll fix than on my next Env.

>>Sammy: Cool, I'm glad my stuff inspired you! I'll be looking forward to seeing a progress Thread for your environment.

SecretAgent
02-08-2004, 07:03 PM
>>Sammy: Hey, I checked out your env. and it looks great so far! You need to start up your own thread here so we can see the progress on it! Start one soon!

kleinluka
02-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Eric22:

Any news from 2015 yet ?

SecretAgent
02-09-2004, 02:11 AM
>>kleinluka: Yeah, things are on hold for the moment, though I'm told that they defenitly will interview me when they get the chance. I have a good friend who works there and he keeps me informed with what's going on, he's my liason there.

It's a bummer, I was really looking forward to that interview but, it looks like it might be awhile. Oh well, that's how this industry is sometimes I guess.

I'll defenitly let you know once something happens.

TRyanD
02-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Ive been trying to keep an eye on their progress on MOV (cause i wanna bug em about in house testing when they get close :P) so far it seems they wont be doen with the xbox version till august or so. Im gonna try to bust ass learning some more and getting better hopefuly by then so i can show off with some custom maps or mods with their game when it comes out, try to get em to let me intern this time :P

Teaching myself to do some of this stuff is hard heh, especially without some of the drawing and anotomy skills alot of the guys around here seem to have :(

GL though, i hope they hire ya, youve got good stuff.

costas
02-10-2004, 02:33 PM
You are the best dude.

SecretAgent
02-10-2004, 05:15 PM
ha ha, thanks guys! I don't know about "the best" though, lol - I
don't even have a job in the game industry yet, lol!

CloakedThunder
02-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Eric thats great work man. Thanks for all the reply to my email about FS. So did ya get the job? :D Just curious. I hope all goes well man, your very talented. :)

SecretAgent
02-13-2004, 05:35 PM
>> CloakedThunder: Thanks! If you have any more questions about FS, feel free to ask me anytime. I'm still working on getting that job, things are on hold for the moment though but, I still have my fingers crossed.

BakerCo
04-25-2004, 07:13 PM
i know this post is kinda old but could perhaps i see a closer view of the street lights they look really good and i wanted to see the kinda detail u put into it

SecretAgent
04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
>>LostInFace: Sure, I'll try and post those pictures when I get a chance. Been kinda busy since I started my job a couple weeks ago but, I'll try and get those shots up eventually.

BakerCo
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
thanx i appreciate that
oh and congrats on the job :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.