PDA

View Full Version : Environment : Alleyway in St. Maarten

chrisJ
01-06-2004, 10:03 PM
I was recently in St. Maarten and saw this cool little alleyway. Thought I'd do a 3d rendering of it. Done in Maya 5. Textures in Photoshop. Would love some crits comments or whatever.http://home.nc.rr.com/chrisjolly/PIC4.jpg

JonasNoell
01-07-2004, 12:28 AM
I like the lightning and the details of the plants. But the dirt on the stairs looks a little too painted for some reason ;)
Also some UVW problems on the stone surrounding the plants...

mv
01-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Nice one! tight integration with the background image, the lightning setup matches it well. I agree about the dirt: really looks like quick pshop brush strokes. You should make it finer and with more subtle color/bump/spec variations.

Taoizm
01-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Ditto with the above. Break up the edges of your objects a bit too. Your weathered stairs have too crisp of a line. Bevel it down, and break up the perfect edge.

Overall it's a good start.

yojie
01-07-2004, 02:17 AM
my first public crit/post. from the what they said i agree with them. the floor tiles i would imagine the spec and/or reflectivity down a bit considering it's an outdoor setting it could be a bit more "dirty". the grime on the stairs above the gate has some good color could use a little more bump but this depends what the building is made of. check where the reflected light is coming from and how much of it actually bounces off. is that dirt or shadow on the right side of the floor? can't really read it. don't go too black on the shadows, try to play something a little cooler for underneath the stairs.

ok i'm done.

chrisJ
01-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Hey, this is what I need. The other forum I used to post in never gave any feedback. I will most certianly consider these problems as soon as I get over the flu that seems to be getting the better of me. I will post updates but it may be a couple of days. By then the thread will probably be way gone.:shrug:

Seraph135
01-07-2004, 05:20 AM
http://www.seraph3d.com/PIC_perspective.jpg

I agree with all the above comments. But your perspective does not match your background photo... If you follow the vanishing points of your render, where they intersect is where the horizon should be. Its a very common problem I see people make all the time. It just kills the realism of your renders if you don't get it right.

You've done a very nice job on this otherwise.

Tim J

anoe_nomus
01-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Seraph135
http://www.seraph3d.com/PIC_perspective.jpg

But your perspective does not match your background photo... If you follow the vanishing points of your render, where they intersect is where the horizon should be. Its a very common problem I see people make all the time. It just kills the realism of your renders if you don't get it right.

You've done a very nice job on this otherwise.

Tim J

ohh, right... the vanishing point,, err , right. i and the rest of us failed to realize that. kudos to u for pointing it out. it does kill the realism 0_o .. fyi i'm being sarcastic ... there are so many instances in "real" life where vanishing points may alter, and the background photo, is just a background photo.
Great work man
the dirt map on the stair need a little touch up... increase bump and diffuse perhaps. and try to match the lighting of bkgrnd with ur lights, or just use FG
Good Job

Seraph135
01-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by anoe_nomus
there are so many instances in "real" life where vanishing points may alter...

True...but only if the walls are sloped, curved or the whole structure was built on an angle...Otherwise, lines of perspective will ALWAYS vanish at the horizon. I didn't bring this up because I'm being picky. I brought it up because its wrong in this image and the artist asked for constructive criticism. Since the goal is clearly to achive photorealism, I thought he might want to know since its a very simple fix.

Perhaps "kill" was a strong word in this case. I didn't mean to sound harsh, I only meant to convey how important matching perspective is when trying to produce photoreal renders.

Tim J

rexfang
01-07-2004, 08:04 AM
That's cool....I love the way lighting is....

I think you need more dirt for the stair and the wall of the house and give them more BUMP up....now I think it's too smooth for the surfaces.

Also turn down the spec. on the door and put the dirt on it. Some how it's too clean now.

good job....keep working on it!!:thumbsup:

sawoozer
01-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Nice image....and I think the wall wants more bump and dirt~

chrisJ
01-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'm working on the perspective problem. The Walls and the steps in real life ( this is a real place} did not have any dirt on the wall to the left but did have some on the right on the steps. The floor is reflective but dirtier than I have it. I am using FG for this and it is taking a bout 20 min for each render (on a laptop). So It may be a while brfore I can get it right according to the comments. Thanks again for the crits, It is helping me out.

chrisJ
01-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all your comments and helpful crits. I have spent some time and revised the following: Horizon was lowered, more dirtr on the floor, however the "real floor" wasn't so dirty and it is shiny in splotchy areas kinda like i have it, I redid the bump and color on the steps, redid the door to the left by addind dirt and a better spec map, lastly the concrete to the right og the weeds next to the pipe did have UV problems so I fixed that in the uv editor.
Since It takes me 30 min to render this on a little laptop, I probably won't fix it any further, but it is good enough for government work;)
http://home.nc.rr.com/chrisjolly/revise.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.