PDA

View Full Version : Ati Radeon 9800 Pro vs Nvidia QuadroFX 500

Ryan8311
01-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Ok, I'm just about done putting together my new machine, but I still haven't decided which graphics card to go with. I've looked at benchmark tests on several different sites, but I still haven't found a direct comparison between the Radeon 9800 Pro and QuadroFX 500. I need something that works well with Maya 5.0, but also is great with video editing and compositing. I'm a student, so I'm going to be doing a little bit of everything, but the main packages I plan on using are Maya 5.0, After Effects, and Photoshop. I'd like to run dual 17" CRT's in the near future as well if that makes any difference. Newegg.com sells both models for $299, so which card will perform best for my needs?

Any insight that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

siftingsand
01-06-2004, 08:24 PM
from what i have read the quadro FX500 is about 25% slower than quadro4-980. Ati9800 wont work well with maya.. it will run but with bugs. Paint effects basically doesnt work at all with a 9800 pro. You can soft mod the 9800 card to use Firegl drivers.. this fixes the paint effects problem and some viewport problems. I think the quadrofx500 would be your best bet.

Ryan8311
01-06-2004, 09:10 PM
WOW, I had no idea that the Radeon 9800 Pro had problems with Maya like that. Well maybe I should ask this instead: for a student on a budget, what graphics card do you guys recommend for use with the software packages I mentioned above? I'm hoping to spend no more than $300, but I suppose I can go as high as $500 if the $2-300 Ati cards are going to have serious performance issues with Maya.

:shrug:

Dinodiegus
11-22-2004, 09:15 PM
it's up to you, if you want headaches or not, in my opinion life is too short to waste time on bad video cards, i bought an ati and its the last time, i returned all my ati cards for complaints on graphic display bugs in 2d or 3d apps.

if you are a student on budget, cut your budget on something else, i suggest you spend more on a good video card than less and end up with a buggy card with makes you lose your creativity and motivation when u see those ugly bugs.

they have driver issues and are poor in 3d apps.

i would go Nvidia all the way, not that i work for them or anything.

just my honnest opinion.

abie1
11-23-2004, 06:55 PM
it's up to you, if you want headaches or not, in my opinion life is too short to waste time on bad video cards, i bought an ati and its the last time, i returned all my ati cards for complaints on graphic display bugs in 2d or 3d apps.

if you are a student on budget, cut your budget on something else, i suggest you spend more on a good video card than less and end up with a buggy card with makes you lose your creativity and motivation when u see those ugly bugs.

they have driver issues and are poor in 3d apps.

i would go Nvidia all the way, not that i work for them or anything.

just my honnest opinion.
I love honest opinions, and I'll agree w/ yours; I was a student recently as well, and I upgraded to a QuadroFX 500 after using a GForce 4 that my Dell came w/ really fast; The GForce worked fine but I wanted more stability. I still have the card installed, using all of the programs you mentioned above to the letter (which is kinda funny). I can edit in Premiere, renders out AFX files fairly quickly depending on the size of the timeline and FX of course, and to date have had no crashes w/ Maya; that's right none. On the other hand, I also have a laptop that came w/ a Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro and have not stopped having veiwport problems in Maya. I've seen more blue screens w/ that thing than I don't know what. Bottom line...I love the card, still use it. If your a student on a budget this card will do more than the job. I think that a lot of ppl will agree that ATI sucks for Maya so don't even waste your time on it.

Arcon
11-24-2004, 02:05 AM
[snip] the Radeon 9800 Pro and QuadroFX 500. I need something that works well with Maya 5.0, [snip]
Any insight that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
well as others have said the ATI is not the best choice for Maya work, but it probably hasn't been emphasised enough that the quadroFX 500 is basically crap. essentially its slightly faster than the GeForce4-MX (which is basically a GeForce2). if you're going to be doing a lot of high-poly modelling or FX work in Maya, i'd recommend at least a quadroFX 700, or an 1100, both very similar in terms of performance. if budget is paramount just go for a GeForce 5700Ultra, half the price of a quadro 500 and twice as fast. i think all stability problems with Maya and standard GeForce cards are related to choosing a good driver version. there is the occasional aweful driver release from nVidia but most are fine in maya.

Dinodiegus
11-24-2004, 03:39 AM
I personaly think they are doing on purpose to confuse the people, somebody who knows nothing about video cards can easily get ripped off. I mean lets be reasonable here, did we really need like 20 or 30 different models of nvidia cards?

Another thing i found very cheap was the fact that i cant find a single Geforce ultra or GT 6800 in any store these days, all backorder. Is that a way to treat your customers? Make good cards but make little or few of them so people jump on them even if they cost like 500$.

I think it's all a strategy to make more money and i am very dissapointed, what is the computer market becoming? When you think of the price it costs to make one, they make a huge profit.

once again money rules over customer satisfaction, what a pitty...

novadude
11-24-2004, 03:48 AM
any particular reason this thread was brought back from and 11 month grave?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.