PDA

View Full Version : LA SIGGRAPH making of ROTK

ggggg
01-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Happy New Year from the Los Angeles Chapter of ACM SIGGRAPH!

Our 1st meeting of the year starts off with a bang! Join us for a

presentation on the Visual Effects of "The Lord of the Rings –

The Return of the King".

Tuesday January 13, 2004

Hosted by Apple Computer

The Visual Effects Artists and Producers of "The Lord of the Rings – The Return of the King” will guide you through the imposing challenge of creating 1700+ visual effects shots to create an unforgettable epic motion picture.

Meet Jim Rygiel, the Visual Effects Supervisor, Dean Wright the Visual Effects Producer and Alex Funke, the Miniatures Director of Photography.

Program
6:30-7:30 Social Hour

7:30-9:30 Program

The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences

The Leonard H. Goldensen Theatre

5230 Lankershim Blvd.

North Hollywood, CA 91601

Directions
From Los Angeles:

Take the Hollywood (101) Freeway North to the (170) Freeway North. Exit at Magnolia Blvd, turn right. Then turn left into the complex.

From the San Fernando Valley:

Take the Ventura (101) Freeway East to the (134) Freeway. Stay in the left two lanes at the split and exit right away at Vineland Avenue, turn right at the end of the ramp and left on Lankershim Blvd. Cross Magnolia and turn at the first right into the complex.

The Academy is on the corner of Magnolia and Lankershim.

Parking is $4 per car on-site.

Fees/Registration
The event is free to L.A. ACM SIGGRAPH members and $15 for non-members. New members who sign up on-site and pay the $35 annual membership fee (Checks or cash only) do not have to pay the admission fee.

Members will be given priority entrance from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m.

Speakers
Jim Rygiel, VFX Supervisor

Dean Wright, VFX Producer

Alex Funke, Miniatures Director of Photography

Special Thanks for the January Meeting to:

Claudia Sumner, Producer

Dion Scoppettuolo and Fleur Hervas,

Apple Computer for hosting the event

The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences

All the members of our Executive Council

And all our volunteers!

Claudia Sumner

Chair, Los Angeles ACM SIGGRAPH

elfufu
01-14-2004, 06:11 AM
whoever missed this one out really missed out. this was jaw dropping, inspiration at its finest..

too bad it was only 3 hours long. i could have gone another 3 hours

FUG1T1VE
01-14-2004, 09:14 AM
The six hour drive was wort it :thumbsup: 3 to get there 3 to come back.....

ggggg
01-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Glad everyone had a great time. Some of my friends had to wait outside because the event was full. It was awesome that they had about 10 people from Weta taking turns speaking.

Some of the shots in previs with the horse impaled on the Mumakil spikes were amazing.

Andy's acting mixed with Gollum previs was pretty interesting as well.

They also talked about MASSIVE and how agents respond using sound, among other things.

elfufu
01-15-2004, 01:22 AM
hey gggggg whens the next event? and what will it be about?

ggggg
01-15-2004, 09:58 PM
not sure what the next meeting is about.www.la.siggraph.org (http://www.la.siggraph.org)

DogBreath
01-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Sounds great. I wonder if someone that attended could give a review of what happened.:bounce: :bounce:
I wish we had something like that here [Irony.]

april
01-16-2004, 06:04 PM
I was there. It was great.

I wouldn't mind if someone posted a review... There was just so much stuff they talked about, it was hard for me to remember!

FUG1T1VE
01-17-2004, 03:01 AM
There is one of these events every second week of the month, subscribe to the newsletter :) I waited outside too. Was I happy when I got in :) Why dont we all send pm's to each other about what we can remember and then conclude up a review. Some of the things mentioned at the presentation are also here http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1883

slime
01-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ggggg
Glad everyone had a great time. Some of my friends had to wait outside because the event was full.
It was near full, but I had a free seat at my right, at the center of the theatre...
I think they talked too much about non interesting things (like explaining why there were hired..).
IMO they should had focused more on the videos and the effects :) But it was awesome.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.