PDA

View Full Version : Character - My Head (Finished)

alexyork
01-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Hello all!

Some of you might have seen this in the WIP section.

It's a render from a project I have just submitted for assessment at University. The assignment was to model, texture, light and render a photorealistic version of myself, body and head, all in MAX. I was supplied with hi-res photos of my front and side for reference.

This is my 1st ever character, so there is lots I can improve, I know. I ran out of time and these are the results.

Modeller: MAX (all polygon extrusions)
Texturer: MAX (UVW mapping)
Lighting and Rendering: Brazil

It's "finished" as far as I have handed it in! If I get more time in the future I might improve it (add more detailed skin, spec map etc).

C&C is welcome although I have received quite a lot in the WIP forum for this project already.

I hope you can understand this is my 1st ever character and I am very proud of it, especially as it looks pretty much exactly like me, which was the idea!

For all the final renders please check out my website www.alexyork.co.uk and go to the gallery section, then click on BODY FINISHED entry at the top.

Enjoy!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.york/images/MFG-Head-Angle01.jpg

Final render

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.york/images/MFG-Head-Wire01.jpg

Wire

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.york/images/MFG-Head-Clay01.jpg

Clay

Cheers all!

alexyork
01-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Nadda? Can't be that bad.

DirtySkillet
01-07-2004, 01:32 AM
haha. No, it's very good. First attempt!?!?! Superb. The eye looks odd. Nothing a little photoshop can't correct. by far the best part of this image is the lips and mustache. Post some pics of ur face for comparison. Amazing first!!!!!!!:applause:

Peace.

alexyork
01-07-2004, 02:33 PM
DirtySkillet: Wow! I wasn't expecting that! Thanks so much for the kind comments. You're right about the eyes - they probably need some work (reflections/highlights etc). If I get time in the future I will definitely correct these.

I have included a photo/3D image below for you to see. I'm sorry the angle isn't the same as in the 3D image, this is th eonly photo of myself from an angle that I have! I spent a good 5 hours with my parents making this model look just like me.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.york/images/MFG-Head-Comparison.jpg

The only real changes are:

1) Shorter beard
2) Shorter, thinner hair
3) Thinner and wider moustache
4) No glasses! (I wasn't wearing glasses when I did this project!)

These were aesthetic problems with Shag Fur rather than mistakes and I actually prefer how they look than in the photo! As far as the shape of the face goes, it's pretty much 100% like me, except the corners of the eyes and slight changes in the ears.

Thanks again for the kind remarks!

marmphi
01-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Great work Alex

Keep going, i want to see also your first female character.

deffectx
01-09-2004, 10:22 PM
solo agregale los lentes i!!

esta igualita me gusta:applause:

RenderStream
01-09-2004, 10:42 PM
lol, the eye sockets are waaaay too deep. They are almost comming out the other side!

alexyork
01-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey RenderStream: while i appreciate any feedback from CGTalk users it would be nice if you could at least be gracious with your comments. If you had read my previous posts you would see that the model is in fact very like me, and any improvements that could be made are probably aesthetic. I also ran out of time for the assignment.

deffectx: I will have to find a translator! something about you like the lenses? Sounds nice anyway! Thanks very much.

Marmphi: hey man ;] thanks for posting. Female character? I'll leave that to Mr. Stahlberg! Only kidding... one day!

Cheers guys.

I will find out my grade for this project soon I hope.

Ryder
01-10-2004, 12:29 AM
the face is to smal... and the eyes are "sunken"

teruchan
01-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Seems to be a somewhat stylized representation. I can tell it is you, but simplified...

T

HenningK
01-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Less head, more face.
-hen

RenderStream
01-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Ah, sorry about the rude comment, i was in a rush so i had to type it fast.

Anyways - like i mentioned earlier, the eyes are too deep into the socket, it is easily observable in the clay render :

- The shadows that are created by the nose over the eyes are very dark and deep, showing that the eyes are too deep.

- Also, as mentioned above, the eyes are a little too small. Try enlarging them a bit.

But, for your first head, this is very good.:thumbsup:

TethyS
01-10-2004, 06:17 PM
hy, i dont like the ear. its too thick at the bottom part. but even then.. great work!

alexyork
01-10-2004, 11:05 PM
thanks for the comments, everyone. you are all dead right about the eyes/ears.

What I might do in these next few weeks is try to improve this... i do have a few weeks off work so it might be worth it. this might give me an opportunity to post some more angle renders, as most of these are from the same angle. on the other hand it might be better just to start over on something new. i have a new project (an animation in XSI - my 1st ever animation, gasp!) starting now, too.

styalised is correct! I was going for as realistic as possible, but i'm only at the very earliest stages of modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering at the moment, so i have a lot (a LOT) to learn. i guess that's why it came out styalised.

thanks for all the input everyone.

PS. funny how many new problems you notice when you look at your work afresh after a week or so... :wip:

:beer: all!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.