PDA

View Full Version : character: soldier Sol.

Zenitor
01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Not sure wether I should post this here, I've had a bit of a look around the other program specific sections and they all seem to post their "wip's" inhouse before openning them to general critique.
I think a lot of people are intimidated out of posting here because of a high expectation, after looking at some of the images and posts in high end apps sections I think we need to relax a bit and allow the userbase to grow and develop.
This is the Blender House, bugger all different app's users will step in the door,
WIP/Critiques: 3D Art and Architectural Visualization, Focused Critiques and Gallery/Finished Work: 3D are for showcasing your work to the 3D community.

Anyhow modelling vert by vert, blender, scanline, 3 light setup,
http://myeye.homestead.com/files/art/ears.jpg

Apollux
01-06-2004, 03:40 PM
We should venture to post here, away from the sugar coating that is all around elysiun. If one can't stand profesional critique then what' s the point of showing your work in the first place?

About your character.. the forehead looks a little odd, but who said that everybody should look the same way.

What is really disturbing is the skin tone.. he has undergone some serious sunburn in the beach :) Fix that, add some good looking hair and he will be just fine.

I like the modeling a lot, specially the jaw line and the ears.. and God know how difficult ears are to make. How long did you take to model him?

Zenitor
01-06-2004, 04:38 PM
build time was about 4 hours for the head and ears another 4 hrs(these are my first completed ears) another 2 hrs tweaking, this is over a period of about 4 weeks :blush: I've got 2.5yr old twin boys...

BgDM
01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Not bad overall Zenitor.

I agree with Appolux about the forehead area.

The ears should be moved up higher. They should be more inline with the eyes. Well modelled though. Ears are definitley a pain.

Can we see a wireframe to check your edgeloops?

BgDM

Zenitor
01-07-2004, 05:13 AM
http://myeye.homestead.com/files/art/frontside.jpg
this was with the ears up a bit higher, and the top of the head has been filled out since this wireframe was taken.
in the open wip's someone adivesed me to move them down :rolleyes: ,

Apollux
01-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Wao!! So much detail with so few polygons !! :eek:

BgDM
01-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the wireframe. I noticed a couple of things that you should look at correcting on the topology. I used your image to show you what I mean, (hope that was OK).

http://hotlink.reblended.com/bgdm/frontside.jpg

The top of the head could be a bit wider and more round in the front view and alo in the side view, as you can see by the lines I added.

As for the 3 lines from the corner of the mouth to the ear, those are how you should place your edgeloops from the corner of the mouth. Follow those lines in order to get better topology and better deformations, if you want to animate him.

Nice work.

BgDM

Zenitor
01-10-2004, 12:58 PM
BgDM: ahhh yes the lines from the mouth, good idea, and logical when I think about it
The wire is older than the render, having trouble with access to website :hmm: to post a newer one, the render follows the lines almost exactly as you indicated in the head area. hoping to get some time to texture today...

Zenitor
01-12-2004, 05:07 AM
looks ok at a distance, but up close it's a mess, I think i've got the technique figured out,
just a bit slaphappy making the texture :rolleyes:
will make a new one, this is just to show where it's going.
http://myeye.homestead.com/files/art/skin2.jpg

dreamsgate
01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Actually, I like the texture. Shows nice wrinkles and lines around eyes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.