PDA

View Full Version : How do you select a row of points?

Beamtracer
01-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Is there a way to select a row of points?

You know, like Bandsaw can select a row of polygons. Is there some thing like Bandsaw that enables you to select a row of points?

Para
01-06-2004, 09:57 AM
David Ikeda's PowerTools have one tool to do exactly that.

Unfortunately they're not publically available anymore since Newtek bought them :shrug:

yog
01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Select Point Chain (http://www.pictrix.jp/index2.html)

Does the same as DI's Power Tools.

fellah
01-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Does the same as DI's Power Tools.

mmno, not the same. David Ikeda's selects the points in correct order. it's good if you need to select a ring or something alike, and then create a polygon from the selection. the polygons would looked funky if you did it with 'Select Point Chain', in most cases.

and if I recall right, 'Select Point Chain' cannot select edges at euhh.. "edges". for example, cut a sphere in half, try to select the top row of that sphere(where you cutted) with 'Select Point Chain', it won't work.. Ikeda's handles this well though.

looks like Ikeda's tools are offline though, you'll have to wait for lw8 to catch it.. so, guess you'll have to use 'Select Point Chain' anyways..

Beamtracer
01-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks yog, Para, and fellah for your advice. I'll give Select Point Chain a go.

Selecting a row of points seems like such a basic operation. It's strange that Lightwave has been without this functionality for so long.

m0nd0
01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
I saw a demo of the new Modeler features here in Sydney late last year, and it will no longer be necessary to select points in any particular order to use tools such as Extender (yay!)...also done away with that irritating extra polygon it adds if you don't have a closed ring of points, and the flipped polys in alternate rows of Extended geometry...in short, it's now a tool you'd actually want to use.

colkai
01-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by m0nd0
it will no longer be necessary to select points in any particular order to use tools such as Extender (yay!)...<<SNIP>>...in short, it's now a tool you'd actually want to use.

Yay indeed, that really does open it up, I *think* this may be DI's extender now though, as I recall it does just this, a good enough reason for integrating it IMO.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.