PDA

View Full Version : holographics

energie_r
06-21-2002, 08:48 AM
anyone know how to make holo grahpic plates and shpere like in final fantasy the movie in maya?

tried a few ways with sampler info and facing ratios but can't really get a good look. well if any can help please repsond thanx.

svenip
06-21-2002, 08:56 AM
have you connected sampler info to a ramp ? i guess you did :hmm:

a good way to improove might be to put a checker texture (set to give out stripes) in to the ramp. this way you could simulate a lcd like effect in the outer parts which you're controlling via the sampler info.

did you connect the output to the color only ? or to the glow or better the glow threshold !?

energie_r
06-21-2002, 11:06 AM
well i tried to make like glass with no reflection and add a glow and a refection map but it dosent look anything like a hologram.

svenip
06-21-2002, 11:08 AM
can you post an image of it, so i can see more clearly what it looks now and what to improof

energie_r
06-21-2002, 11:50 AM
well im just testing right now a way of make a hologram i don't really how to begin. so right now im just using defult textures test them out. heres a pic a grid for color and sampler info to ramp to transparecy of a lambert and ramp also to glow intesity. on a nurbs shpere and plane.

thanx for your help svenip.

svenip
06-21-2002, 11:57 AM
the overall effect doesn't look so bad actually. try to make the glow more blueish. such hologramms tend to be light blue. als try it with a real image as the hologramm, thats what it actually is. it might be better to see the effect instead of with these simple textures. just a suggestion. :)

wireFrame
06-21-2002, 12:29 PM
As far as I know holographic images in Final Fantasy movie were separately rendered materials and then composited back to the scene using compositing softwares (i.e flame*, digital fusion, shake, etc.).

It's is mush easier manipulating the look by using layering techniques with rendered passes materials in 2d than tweaking shaders and rerendering again in 3d.

I suggest you render separate passes for the background and forground elements plus mattes. You can also render additional mattes like wireframe matte, highlite, glow, etc. then go to your compositing program like After Effects/Combustion and apply FX filters/transparency fx to those layers, mattes, and glows. It's much easier to render in 2d as well as to manipulate/tweak those effects.

wedge
06-23-2002, 02:52 AM
yeah, check out the final fantasy bonus DVD... it shows some of the compositing that was used, and you can see that every shot in the movie was composed of easily 10 layers each.

wmaher2
06-24-2002, 07:51 AM
It Doesnt look that bad with a bump and some other layers for further glows for more control it would be jusyt like final fantasy.

Marce
08-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Hello to everyone! . :)
I'm new here ... so , this is my first post .

I was wondering with one thing.
Which software or , how they make those "Holographic User Interfaces" in Final Fantasy (The Spirits Within)??????

I mean , the "soldier's" interface when the guy is "zooming" to see if any spirits are coming. or the dream recorder interface, or the Aki's interface...
all of them are awesome!. any of that interfaces... how can i make it, or which software they used?????

, i was looking around , and nothing...

how can i do???.

please help me!!!

thanks in advance.
also, could someone please explain more detailed the info for this kind of stuff from the DVD of final fantasy?.
thank you very much!

Marce

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.