PDA

View Full Version : Backpackin' Girl

Manik Monkei
06-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Hey. This is my first post to this forum. This girl is part of a small project I'm working on. She weighs in at 2270 tri's right now.. still cleaning up.

I'm going to start texturing her as soon as I finish my 2nd model. She still needs a little cleanup, so any opinions, critiques, or comments are warmly welcomed :)

http://freedom.up.net/~rmajkrza/Forum/traveler_03.jpg

I'll post any updates as needed. Thanks!

mudgift
06-27-2002, 11:38 AM
:applause: :applause:
hey ! good job ..if a can , just one thing or 2 ;
her butt , dontyou think his a litle flat?
her feet look like she has no boot,does she have something or not ?
hands are really cool ...
she looks like some old biplane pilot ..good work again :wavey:

RutRem
06-27-2002, 04:18 PM
the model is good.
i think that the face have to much polys , all the details
can be done with the textures.(the eyes)

spakman
06-27-2002, 07:06 PM
I really like this model. A lot. The posing seemes made specifically to rig up. There's some tweaks here and there sure, but the butt's not one of them. It kinda reminds me of how a ravegirl would dress for Burning Man.

I guess why I like it so much is I feel you are going for form in motion, rather than a photograph.

I'd try upresing her a little more. But that basic form tickles my eyes.

Excellent :bounce:

spakman
06-27-2002, 07:12 PM
...just a little bit more work on the neck, and traps area. Right now the head isn't situated quite properly. Forget about cleaning up right now. Worry about that after you are satisfied with your form.

If your software supports it, make a looping animation of your model rotating, and just stare at it. Your eye will pick things up in motion that look wrong that you'd never catch in a static shot.

Nendo was great for this. It could do a spin on the fly. Have to go thru some extra steps in Maya tho d=^(

mudgift
06-27-2002, 11:10 PM
well ...seems nobody want girl with rounder butt ... good job anyway he he :rolleyes: :applause: :applause:

spakman
06-27-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by silentseed
well ...seems nobody want girl with rounder butt ... good job anyway he he :rolleyes: :applause: :applause:

Hey, I got nothin against rou - er, I just mean it's nice to see a little lessaggeration for a change.

mudgift
06-28-2002, 01:06 AM
i wasent talkink about exageration ,,,just more "woman" then "girl " its all ....hey you done this from references ?

spakman
06-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by silentseed
i wasent talkink about exageration ,,,just more "woman" then "girl " its all ....hey you done this from references ?

But it says backpackin "girl"...

mudgift
06-28-2002, 01:15 AM
:bowdown: :argh: :bowdown: ...
ok ok ...thats all ...roger and out !!! :wavey:

Manik Monkei
06-28-2002, 01:58 AM
hey guys, thanks for the replies!

silentseed: hehe I rounded out her butt a tiny bit since that picture , but not too much. I'm shooting for more "normal" proportions.. resisting the urge to give her an itty bitty waist and giant breasts. :) oh, and you're right about her having no boots. I conceived her originally with bare feet and just stuck with that idea. I figure someone stole her footwear while she was sleeping. :eek:

rutrem: you may be right about making the face too dense. I wanted to make sure the profile of her face looked nice too.. not just from front shots.

spakman: I'm glad you like it! I'm glad you said it looks made to rig, too--I try to make sure my characters can set up easily for animating. I took what you said about form first into account. that simple tip about staring at the spinning model really helped me pick out little problems! how do you like Nendo for modelling.. does it have a nice workflow? I've just been working in good old 3dsmax for lowpoly work lately.. I haven't touched Maya in a couple of months.

I've tweaked her and I'm satisfied with the model. Now that I'm finished with schoolwork for the week I'm going to finish up her UV's and get texturing this weekend. Look for an update soon!

oh, and silentseed, you asked if I used any reference. I was bad and didn't make a model sheet like I'm always told to do :) the idea for the model came from this sketch and I just looked at it for inspiration while I modeled.

http://freedom.up.net/~rmajkrza/Forum/traveler_sketch01.jpg

spakman
06-28-2002, 06:56 PM
You are pretty much set whatever package you use now a days. I only brought up Nendo, cos it was when I was using that, that I got the idea to do looping spin cycles whenever possible.

If your app allows it, its great to run the loop in your app and fly around with the perspective camera. Or just stare. I find this helps me most with waists, and cheek/brow areas, oddly enuf. But it rilly helps anywhere.

Its good to get that part of your brain included in the creative process (that which picks out form in motion).

peace d=^)

Manik Monkei
07-01-2002, 11:27 PM
phew. :bounce: here's how she looks at the moment, sans backpack. the texture still needs work--especially more color shifts. some parts are still too monochromatic for my tastes..but it's getting there. I haven't even touched her backpack yet or hood yet. I thought I'd see if I could get some input from you guys in her current state :)

http://freedom.up.net/~rmajkrza/Forum/traveler_tex04.jpg

again, comments/critiques more than welcome. what do you like about the texture, what bugs you?

I'm jumping back and forth between her and a second character.. I'll post that one up later on. thanks for the help so far!

kamikazerussell
07-09-2002, 10:59 PM
It's good to see women modeled with more 'realistic' proportions. I think this is your best game model to date. She has good proportions and overall the texture looks pretty good. Excellent work my friend. Excellent work indeed.

spakman
07-10-2002, 12:03 AM
She's rilly getting there! two things that need work:

1. the clavical/ shoulder area doesn't reflect the bone structure.

2. Look at her cheek (her left, your right). The silhouette from the angle you've presented should be sort of "s" shaped. The top sweep being the brow/eye area and the bottom sweep being the cheek area. right now you've got some extra sweeps in there. Rilly subtle tho.

You prolly most likely can fix this by moving those vertices on -z instead of scaling them tighter on x.

peace

Manik Monkei
07-10-2002, 03:09 AM
You're very right about the clavicle. I'm going to make sure I pay attention to that on my next model. Right now, the geometry isn't there to define it properly. I'll try to do it with my texture though.

I think I know what you're getting at w/ the silouhette of the cheek, but would you mind showing me the curve you think it should be? You're more than welcome to draw over the screenshot.

I want this to look as good as I can make it. This is one of the pieces that'll be going on my reel, and hopefully impressing someone enough to hire me :argh: fingers crossed!

I'm working on her backpack right now. I'll put the final up soon!

spakman
07-10-2002, 05:10 AM
Okay, lemme try this out. I'm seriously behind the times as far as this webstuff.

spakman
07-10-2002, 05:11 AM
WERD!!!!! I had no idea you could just post an image like that! Goddamn I feel old....

peac d=^D

spakman
07-10-2002, 05:22 AM
It's not so much detail as silhouette.

Here's what I mean in general about the shoulders. The best way to find these areas, I've found is if your application lets you view your character as just a black silhouette. In Maya, if you don't have any lights in the scene, hitting 7 will do this for you.

L8

Manik Monkei
07-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Thanks spakman for all your help! I fixed her shoulders.. that definitely helped. A friend of mine pointed out that her legs were too narrow from the side view, so I changed that as well.

So, here's the "final" :bounce: (meaning I'm moving on to my next project, but I may still come back to tweak her if I notice any more problems):

http://freedom.up.net/~rmajkrza/Forum/traveler_final01.jpg

and a few closeups just for kicks:
http://freedom.up.net/~rmajkrza/Forum/traveler_final02.jpg

cheers!

spakman
07-11-2002, 12:29 AM
Hmmm. close. Mebbe you should pull the cheeks out on +z a little. Another thing to keep in mind is that the bottom of the cheekbones end at the bottom of the nose.

The cheeks look like they're a little high, and that there's not enough fat underneath. This is making me confuse the sunburn for a gaunt shadowing of the face. From the angle you've shown me, that "s" shape still isn't there.

You usually don't get that kind of cheek hollowing artifact until you are in your late 20's early 30's, and it gets more pronounced from there.

good luck! d=^)

Manik Monkei
07-12-2002, 06:56 AM
spakman- appreciate all the help! you've given some great tips and advice. just wanted to say thanks. I think the face geometry might be a little too screwy as-is to get the right curve for her silouhette. I'm still trying, though :) Rest assured I will plan that area more carefully on my next run. Thanks again!

Crepusculum
07-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Well played, Mr. A, well played.

*faux clapping*

Looks sharp, really nice texture painting. I particularly like the hands and feet, and the detail on the backpack and arm really make the character.

Seems a bit monochrome inside its elements (eg if you look at just the shirt or pants they tend to just be shades of one color, though the skin looks to have some nice tones) but that's really a stylistic choice...likely a consicous one. There seems to be a little stretching on the center of her torso. Probably not fixable this time but I would suggest using a pixel grid in the future to avoid said problem. Last comment: more eye geometery :) The comment was made above and I agree with it totally. You've done such a nice painting job it's a shame there isn't more geometery there. Werd, keep it real.

PS, how are Jeff and Verdo doing?

El Swink-O

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.