PDA

View Full Version : Character: Nyxie Robot

anticz
01-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi everyone,
Been a while since I posted anything. Here's the latest nyxie character for episode 3 of Nyxies. Episode 2 is finally in the can and I've been working hard on the third for a while now. Still have a lot of work to to on the site before the second episode can go up so I thought I'd post this in the mean time.

http://www.nyxies.com/SiteImages/gallery/jynxForrest.jpg

http://www.nyxies.com/SiteImages/gallery/JynxModel.jpg

And here's a desktop if anyone is interested

http://www.nyxies.com/SiteImages/gallery/jynx.jpg

And one more little thing I've been playing with. A little sculpt of Leeek.

http://www.nyxies.com/SiteImages/gallery/NyxSculptDSK.jpg

Oh, and one last bit of news, I've suddenly found myself unemployed again so if anyone knows of any places in and around the Irvine, CA area looking for an animator, I'd be very appreciative if you could contact me privately. Thanks again, hope you enjoy.

PhilOsirus
01-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Oh long time no see. I love this one, looks simple in detail but the texture adds a lot. And I think this machine fits perfectly style-wise with the rest of the movie!

anticz
01-06-2004, 04:16 AM
THanks Phil, it's tough to design tech but still keep it somewhat whimsical. THis is 1 of 2 new character/creatures introduced in episode 3.

Kinsbane
01-06-2004, 04:29 AM
Hey anticz, I really like your Jynx model, even if it shares the nicknames of one of my ex's.. :o

Anyways, I noticed your Leeek character walking in your av.. and I recall that I have seen him somewhere before.. has he been in animations that were widely released, or any other websites.. ?

Clockwork
01-06-2004, 05:05 AM
I've always loved your style, and this one is no different. Amazing texturing and modelling.

Shaykai
01-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Wow... just.. WOW. No critiques! Its awesome :) When is your short going to be out?

Shaykai

sawoozer
01-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Very nice texturing~:eek:

Wiz-Wiz-Wiz
01-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey, hurry up and get the second episode up, been checking back on your site from time to time ever since I downloaded the first episode, excellent work matey, come on get the webby sorted and give us the second chapter :)

NicoDN
01-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Beautiful picture ! I love :love:
Happy too to discover the Nyxies, I've never heard of it before, and I love your job :thumbsup:
I cant wait to see the second episode.
It's really a great project !!! How many are you on this ? Only you ?
:applause: :applause:

Atwooki
01-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Superb character, anticz.... :) appropriately 'non-techie' looking, too; and I'd imagine when animated, he'll have lots of character!

Atwooki

anticz
01-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Kinsbane,
Haha, funny about the nick name. Nyxies.com is the site though it was featured on a number sites when the first episode released.

Clockwork, THanks a million

Shaykai, Just got the movies encoded with audio last night. It's WAY better than I could have hoped for. Jamey Scott at dramaticmusic.com did it and it's awesome. Big thanks to Jamey. Hopefully I'll have the web hosting issues taken care of soon so I can post it.

sawoozer, Yay. Glad you like it!

The Wiz, I promise it'll be worth the wait. Wish I could work on nyxies full time but I gotta pay the bills too.

NicoDN, Yep just me and the audio guy.

Atwooki, Wheeeee!

THanks again everyone. If anyone else has comments, good or bad, they're always appreceiated!

NicoDN
01-06-2004, 07:40 PM
You're only one graphist ! Performance is yet greater !
:applause:
Your universe recall me Oddworld, an atmosphere like I love. I do admit your little character Leeek as Abe's charm.:love:

Hope you gonna find quickly a job ! :beer:

leigh
01-07-2004, 08:27 PM
I really like the model you've done, but your render quality and presentation really let you down :(
In my opinion, the renders are far too saturated for my tastes, and you've rendered very boring poses for the robot. I also don't particularly like the way you've laid the renders out with that text.

If you had presented these in a more exciting manner in an environment with better lighting, it would be front page material ;)

Sorry to sound harsh, but I love the model. I just feel that you could do a lot better in presentation :)

Supervlieg
01-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey I like the model. Somehow I feel the little sculpt you did and the big robot are connected. Are you sure the little guy isn't in there somehow as the pilot of the big robot?

NicoDN
01-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Leigh, go to see his site, http://www.nixies.com, this render is just ( I think ), a presentation of the character, and not a final utilisation.
Same for you Supervlieg, make a jump on his link. This guy is rocking ! :eek:
For me, I'm waiting to see the animation which will result of this.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

lildragon
01-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Heya Mike, good to see you back on the scene, get a clearer render going and a pose and I'll plug it for ya, it's worthy of a plug, which could help ya land that gig quicker, just jump on those two things and I'll hook it up.

Ever since I did your interview I've been patiently waiting the sequels.

-lild

anticz
01-08-2004, 07:50 PM
NicoDN, Thanks! You're exactly right about the presentation part of this.

Leigh,
Good comments. I just updated one of the images on the first page and incorporated some of your suggestions. The reason for the boring pose is the robot isn't active or turned on yet in the presentation image. As for the saturation, it's part of the overall art direction of nyxies. I'm striving for a very rich illustated storybook kinda feel. Check out www.nyxies.com to see what I mean. Thanks again for the comments!

supervlieg, Nope the robot is a big headless stupid automoton. More brawn than brains.

lildragon, Thanks, check you PM.

anticz
01-09-2004, 01:07 AM
Just Fartin around with this.

http://www.nyxies.com/SiteImages/gallery/jynxForrest.jpg

oxyg3n
01-09-2004, 03:41 AM
I have never heard of the Nyxies what are they? Is it a new show on tv?

oxyg3n
01-09-2004, 03:46 AM
I was just looking at your website and the frames set-up is a litte frustrating. I have to scroll up and down to see the images of the characters, odds and ends, etc.

The banner at the top of your screen is to big, IMHO

skello
01-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Been waiting to see episode 2.. Sweet update!
BTW. Are you gonna pitch the series for TV maybe?....

Modron
01-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey, when you are finished scupting, you can add color to that guy by carefully brushing on chalk dust. :thumbsup:
<edit> and it bakes in permanently if you bake it

Shaykai
01-09-2004, 05:58 AM
can someone link me to episode 1???

shaykai

Biped
01-09-2004, 06:07 AM
nice and diryt texturs. :beer:

keithlango
01-09-2004, 06:26 AM
Nice work, as usual, Mike. :) Your love and attention for detail is oozing from this guy.

Now, if you want a critique, here's some color theory ideas that come to mind.... Right now the rusty detail in the textures is fighting against your overall composition and establishment of primary forms in my opinion. It's the strong contrasting colors (blue & orange) within the same shape that are acting to break up the image. Contrasting colors are excellent at distinguishing strong boundary areas of a composition. They work well in establishing different primary forms (like the main body and the "eye" light in the chest- excellent use of contrasting color to define form). But when contrasting colors are used in this more detailed manner like rust, they tend to fight the composition. The end result is an image that feels a bit "noisy" and the visual heirarchy is compromised because the contrasting colors reside within the presented primary form, in effect breaking up that form. The rust is acting as a kind of camoflage, breaking up your silhouette and making it difficult to read your composition easily. The eye strains to know what to look at.

When it comes to getting the notion of realism down, you've pretty much hit that nail right on the head. You've faithfully captured essential rusting properties, tendencies and behavior. But since this is your world, you can play with those rules a bit. Keep the behaviors and tendencies intact, but tweak the properties a bit, primarily the color. Maybe see how you can give the impression of that wear and tear, but do it in a way that better presents your character's form by using some more complimentary tangental colors on the color wheel instead of using strong contrasting opposites like blue & orange. Perhaps fade the colors, add slightly different values to the same general hue. Use tangent hues like blue-green of various saturations and lightness. Use diffuse map drip stains that darken the primary color without shifting the hue away so much. Add dents and scratches as much as you like, but see how it goes with a more conformed color pallette. Basically, try blue-ish or more blue-friendly colored rust and wear. You might find that the primary visual heirarchies are stronger without sacrificing the excellent detail which is a hallmark of your work.

Anyhow, that's a long winded and highly subjective bit of feedback. But I was thinking it, so I figured I'd write it. :) I'm looking forward to your second episode, and now your third as well. Here's hoping you land a gig soon. With your talent and experience I don't expect you'll be looking for long. :D

All the best!

-k

Shaykai
01-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by keithlango
.... here's some color theory ideas that come to mind....

They are 'theories' not 'laws' :scream: :D

haha, i think you gave an excellent critique keithlango, one of the best i've seen on the topic of color usage. Hey can anyone link me to eppisode 1? I can't seem to find them on his site... thanks again!

Shaykai

Sqwall
01-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Nice Concept.... I love the model and its textures ....

BiTMAP
01-09-2004, 07:37 AM
The great nixies return! muahahah! :D yay!

I been waiting for this (i was thinking about it alot since of the time of year! lol)

urgaffel
01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by keithlango
...here's some color theory ideas that come to mind.... [long good crit] ...You might find that the primary visual heirarchies are stronger without sacrificing the excellent detail which is a hallmark of your work.

You took the words out of my head Keith. Nothing to add to it :)

Really looking forward to Episode 2!

*edit*

To clarify, I don't mind the saturation, just the colour choice for the rusty areas. Blue robot + red/orange-ish rust=speckly impression which detracts from the character itself. IMHO.

cris castro
01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
i thinkit's pretty nice,but if we could see more of this beautifull blue in the texture(like the back of the robot) it could be nicer i think,less dirty,more blue:beer:

shanesemler
01-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Wow, I love the look of this! The Episode 1 animation is great! Don't listen to all that color theory baloney, I think the high color saturation gives it a unique look.

skyeywei
01-09-2004, 09:06 AM
very good ! fantasy....... I like it :)

phoenix
01-09-2004, 09:35 AM
very impressive work u did

Atwooki
01-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Regarding Mike's choice of colour palette, there will always be conflicting ideals:

http://www.colorsystem.com

However, it seems in terms of saturation aesthetically (per area of an image/design) higher intensity = small areas; lower intensity = broad areas;

but in the end it's personal choice and relationships, and one has to put each particular character into perspective with respect to an overall colour palette:

What is his environment like?

What type of character is he?

How dramatic is the lighting?

How intensley 'saturated' are the other characters/environments in relation to him etc.?

Relationships....hmmm :)

Atwooki

Wardile
01-09-2004, 11:19 AM
DUDE, MAN, I MEAN .... WOW

It's just awesome, yer mech.

Fuking great, sorry for cross word but i needed to express myslelf.

Where can i get these episodes you talked about.

Frank Dodd
01-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I love the style on your robot, it all fits in perfectly with the character and environment in the first episode, there is great natural detail and style in the character that portrays had an old worn look that matches the profile perfectly.

I am also impressed with the sculpture what is it made from? Wax? (Just don't say its CGI that would be embarrassing for me :) ) looks like we could be looking forward to a new line of Nyxie merchandising

I'm sure it will be very nice to see this coming together in your future releases. Good luck with your job hunting.

XLNT-3d
01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Mike, you've got some really bad habits and I'm not talking about your personal hygiene. It must have been that school in CO we went. Did the thin air screw you up too?.:shrug:

Good to see ya around
~Jon

aurora
01-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I personally love the guy. To heck with theory in this case. If Ep's 2 and in this case 3 hang with the same env theme I think the colors are a great choice. It provides a rich fairy tale look which I love. Having said that, that was one of the better crits I have read in a long time and provided valuable insight.
I can't wait for Ep2. I have been hitting the site every couple of weeks since Halloween hoping to see something.

Shaykai and who ever else who had problems finding the Ep 1 page heres a link.
http://www.nyxies.com/nyxies.htm

killeratti
01-09-2004, 05:31 PM
just saw the first episode.i liked the lighting and textures:thumbsup:

BoydLake
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
I like this guy a lot, but I agree with the color theory comments. Symmetric color approaches tend to lack focus and be less effective in my opinion. You don't have to use different hues, just decide on a dominant color and support it with complimentary or analogous hues of less saturation where appropriate.

Essentially, you have very strong green and blue elements with a lot of red/orange... that pretty much covers the primaries almost equally. Also, your contrast is strong in the textures themselves, but equally so throughout. Again, its very symmetric and hurts the composition of the character design. As an image, I would be tempted to make it darker overall, so the lights could be more dramatic too.

Your characters always look very cool and original. Nice job! :thumbsup:

anticz
01-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Wow, A ton of really great responses. THanks everyone.

oxyg3n, Nope, not on TV yet. I'm aware of the site design problems. I built it on a 1280x1024 monitor but as pointed out by you and my fiance, poeple with lower monitor resolutions have trouble. I'll be rebuilding it as soon as I can.

skello, I'd love to work on this full time. Maybe someday.

Modron, Thanks for the tip. I'm hopeing to get a resin cast made and paint it eventually.

Shaykai, Just go to http://www.nyxies.com/ and click on episodes. You'll find it there.

Biped, Thanks.

keithlango, Great crit! Thanks for the feed back. I am aware of the priciples you stated but I believe the strongly contrasting colors have as much to do with value as it does with hue or chroma in this case. I chose the orange rust specifically to compliment the dominant blue patterns thouout the robot. I also chose to break up the siloette with strongly contrasting value shifts (the rust) along th left side of the robot signifigantly more than the right side (forearm, leg). This will become important when you see the area and condition the robot is found in (it helps to disguise him). Hopefully I didn't take it to far. Thanks again for you excellent comments and feedback!!! Definately food for thought. :)

Shaykai, Agreed, thanks again th Keith!! :)

Sqwall, BiTMAP, weist & phoenix, Thanks!

urgaffel,Yep. Whis everyone posted crits like that.

cris castro, I think thats the first time I've ever heard anyone say make it less dirty when refering to CGI. :)

shanesemler, Yes, but I think Keith was refering specifically to the high contract values breaking up the siloette of the forms and shapes, not the overall chromanince of the image.

Atwooki, Agreed, but there's always room for Improvement. I tend to like very colorful, saturated images so long as the color sceme compliments itself and isn't so bright it becomes garrish. There's a fine line between hyper-satured realism and over-satureated baroque garrishness. Hopefully I don't cross that line to often.

Wardile, Wheee, Thanks. Go to http://www.nyxies.com/ and click on episodes.

Frank Dodd, Thanks, It's made of superSculpey with a wire armature underneath.

XLNT 3d, Huh? I hope your not refeing to my brain freeze addiction.

aurora, Thanks, I hope ep2 doesn't disappoint. :)

THanks again everyone.

One last thing, if anyone one knows of anyone out there with enought bandwidth and sever power to host episode 2 for free of at a low cost plaese let me know. The sooner I can find hosting, the sooner I can get it up. Thanks again.

keithlango
01-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by anticz
I chose the orange rust specifically to compliment the dominant blue patterns thouout the robot. I also chose to break up the siloette with strongly contrasting value shifts .... This will become important when you see the area and condition the robot is found in (it helps to disguise him).

Ah! Very good then. I look forward to seeing the whole thing operate within the narrative context for which it's designed. In every aspect design must serve story, and if that means breaking the theories as it were, then that's the right thing to do. If the story needs him to be camoflaged, then you've made some excellent choices. It'll be interesting to see how you handle the lighting and scene composition once that narrative necessity for disguise has past and clarity is better served. But then, that's more than half the fun in telling moving stories- figuring out how to solve those unique and tricky situations that come up. Of course I don't expect you'll have difficulty in making it all work well together. Good on ya! :D

-k

Shaykai
01-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the links everyone, i think i was going to anticz.com instead of nyxies.com
Thanks! I look forward to episode 2!

Shaykai

ChrisNeuhahn
01-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Hey Mike!

I agree with Keith. The blue and orange is kind hard to look at. But as I said before I love the model.

I know somebody in San Diego that will do STL output for toys.

XLNT-3d
01-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Is that what it is? All I know is I keep hearing the number 13 over and over in my head and I have nightmares of a clown without a nose!

anticz
01-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Here's a look at him minus textures. From the number of comments on the contrast I believe I may have gone a little to far with the rust. Great comments.

http://www.nyxies.com/SiteImages/gallery/jynxNoTex.jpg

Hey Chris, how ya been?

XLNT 3d, Haha :). I used to get those too, but I've since moved on to nightmares about a straight razor, genital shaving, dominatrix clown named Mr.Ouchie,... The horror.

I'm surprised nobody noticed the smiley face antenna ball I stuck on there.

XLNT-3d
01-09-2004, 07:45 PM
I noticed! I thought it was so you could find your robot in the parking lot. It's kind of small, maybe you should use a tennis ball.:p

arliss
01-09-2004, 07:52 PM
For the gritty light centerpiece I'm curious were you inspired by this:

http://div.dyndns.org/EK/tutorial/gritty/light.html)

Great work! Cheers:)

ilka
01-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Than looks amazing:drool: but...

...doesn't this look better :beer:

http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v35/solidsoul/jynxForrest.jpg

iLKa

XLNT-3d
01-09-2004, 08:22 PM
No....well ok maybe....uh.. I don't know, what do you think?

igorstshirts
01-09-2004, 11:07 PM
I love how this is so intricate in some areas and very simple in others... And the ladder on the back dude... SICK!!!!:thumbsup:

oracle
01-10-2004, 12:05 AM
ilka: You have to remember that not everyone is looking at the picture through your monitor. Your adjusted pic does look better on my old Sony Trinitron monitor... but on the LCD on my iMac your pic just looks too washed out.

Infact, your adjusted pic on my Sony monitor looks about the same as the original image does on my LCD.

Bliz
01-10-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree with oracle. I have no problems with the original contrast levels. The relative darkness of the original gives the orange light on its belly an excuse to emit volumetric glows.
On the brighter version the 'god rays' coming out of the chest look silly [IMHO]

I also love the design of the robot. It really is absolute top stuff :bounce:

synj
01-10-2004, 04:26 AM
kicking ass and taking names as usual. loving the environment rendering and all.

milqman
01-10-2004, 05:23 AM
The first image posted here... is now one of my favorite 3d works ever. It has such great atmosphere. Great job!

squidinc
01-10-2004, 11:08 AM
I thought the whole idea behind nyxies was that it's always dark, no sun at all, ( watched episode 1 a while ago, cool stuff :thumbsup: ) so it being a dark render of the bot is in the style of the rest, the modified one just looks weird, like bliz mentioned,

excellent modelling :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.