PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5 : bentllama : Wonderboy in MonsterLand - WonderBoy

bentllama
01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
I am unsure if i will have time to finish because of all of my other duties, but I will try.

http://www.retro-games.co.uk/arcade/wboy.gif Wonderboy in MonsterLand

I played the snot out of this game as a kid.

http://www.digitpress.com/dpsightz/segamaster/wonderboymonsterland.gif

[by the way, I refuse to be judged. I am in this for fun so my entry does not count]

mv
01-05-2004, 09:21 PM
oh boy! how much I liked this game! I wonder how much effect it had on my subconcious. Seeing the cover on your link gave me shudders.
I'm waiting to see this, bentllama!

CGmonkey
01-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Well if you don't wanna be judged maybe you want to be a judge?! ;D

I've never seen your modeling abilities, this will be fun ^_^

Xaint
01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I haven't played this game, but I recall Giana sisters and Creatures from C=64, those were fun!
I'd like to see what you'll come up with bentllama!

Neil
01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
haha, that character reminds me of Little Nemo (DreamMaster)

I too would like to see what becomes of this. Let's see if it gets finished ;)

bentllama
01-07-2004, 01:54 AM
hmmm...now I am also looking at Keith Courage in Alpha Zones...
...gotta love that underworld and the nova suit.

http://members.tripod.com/~carchase/exhibitf.html

hmmm...but I think I will stick with wonderboy as I am already sketching him...

http://www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/emulation/pics/mastersystemshot.png
http://dorando.emuverse.com/images/wonder-boy-2_02.png

bentllama
01-16-2004, 08:45 PM
update is imminent!

mv
01-16-2004, 09:25 PM
can't wait to see that bent :)

bentllama
01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
update:

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/sk-wonderboy01.gif

a rough sketch the direction I chose.

still working out some details. I am unsure if I want to make him detailed or simple...or a hybrid of both. SD characters have been exciting me lately and here is my stab at a character that mimics those proportions, that is to say he is about 2 heads high...I am probably going to go a bit more extreme on these proportions too, shorter still...

I think I might go more cartoony on him still, and stylize the textures using Painter instead of Photoshop.

anyway, here is an update and a base to start from...I will move onto rough geometry and some more brainstorming sketches next...

...do not fret, for I model fast, especially once something is planned on paper first! :)

Supervlieg
01-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Lookin good. I like the super deformed look. Very true to the original. What will happen with the colors?

SecretAgent
01-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Awsome Bent! You really captured the feeling/style of the original. I can't wait to see more.

bentllama
01-20-2004, 07:09 AM
time to start modelling...here are portions from a model sheet I sketched...I will post some more action poses here soon too...he has changed a bit from the last sketch I posted...I simplified his garb a wee bit, as well as the sword and shield...damn, that last sketch I posted was bad...I hate pen...to stifled...but I wanted to post the sketch nonetheless, because honesty counts...and we all learn from our errors... :)

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/web-ref-wonderboy-front.jpghttp://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/web-ref-wonderboy-side.jpg

wheeeeeeeee...

so I have started modelling and will post an update later tonight methinks...we shall see how far I get... :) time to go put on some speed metal... :rock:

bentllama
01-20-2004, 09:35 AM
OMFG! He has a sword!

a rough sword...still optimizing to do...but the shape and base is there...details to follow...

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/wb-ruff-sword01.jpg

CGmonkey
01-20-2004, 09:39 AM
hehe nice texture sheets, I like your sword don't know about the grip though.. Looking forward to the actual model ^_^

Neil
01-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Those segments used on the sword grip seem unnecessary. Wouldn't his hand be covering it at nearly all times anyway?

KazuyaMochu
01-20-2004, 05:02 PM
^ good point!

great sketchs! he's got alot of character!

MosaFacku
01-20-2004, 07:00 PM
looks damn cool so far. one suggestion i have is that if he's going to be super deformed, it might look cool if he had big kickass gauntlets, like the little girl in battle chasers. then again, he might end up looking to much like her

jeffro864
01-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Very cool concept. I love the style of the character. If he is going to be deformed I would make the feet bigger though.

Layer01
01-21-2004, 12:20 AM
i love the hair comeing through the visor in your concept very cool. cant wait to see a model now :)

h2olt
01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
very nice. I hope/assume you'll be modeling all that detail into the shield.

It's gonna look really awesome lit up if it's any where as refined as your first drawing.

Post lots of progress render too i', interested in seeing how you're gonna do this good low poly

since you said you're not wanting to be judged are you still going to keep under the 4.5 K poly limit?

bentllama
01-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by h2olt
since you said you're not wanting to be judged are you still going to keep under the 4.5 K poly limit?

limits still have to be met, no matter what the circumstance...no exceptions...

MosaFacku
01-21-2004, 07:19 AM
so's this mean you're actually gonna finish this one?? ;p

all in good fun.

really though, model this dude then lemme animate him!!!

bentllama
01-21-2004, 10:18 AM
UPDATE!

here is a couple hours work...roughing out the proportions...now it is time to get the rest of the form down...rough in the features...optimize some of the geometry as I go along...and rough out the costume pieces...

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/wb-ruff-wire01.jpg

crits welcome, and expected... :)

edit: oh yeah...too lazy to post the shield roughs...tomorrow...time for bed now...

Shishka
01-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Nicely done. It wasn't in your final model sheet, but I'm kind of hoping you're planning on adding the belt from your first sketch. Seemed to me like an important detail. =)

Looking forward to your next update.

Supervlieg
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Nice start, a bit difficult to really crit anything at this point. I lik e the proportions. Maybe his arms are a bit fat. But then again this could be what you intended.

Razorwolf
01-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Sketch is ownage, no critiques yet :).
Keep up the good work.

jeffro
01-22-2004, 01:14 AM
Great style all ready. You're an animator right? You know you don't have to do it all. Seriously, I really like the stlye of the character though. Keep it coming.

Xaint
01-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
here is a couple hours work...roughing out the proportions...

You said you model fast, Bent!

bentllama
01-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Xaint
You said you model fast, Bent!

a little more WD-40 and I should be right on track... ;)

heavyness
01-22-2004, 05:29 PM
nice character so far [i like the sketches]. makes me want to borrow the TurboGraphics16 from my wife's co-workers and play some Wonderboy and some Keith Courage [never beat those two].

"Wonderboy, what is the secret of your power? Wonderboy, won't you take me far away from the mucky-muck man? "

Xaint
01-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
a little more WD-40 and I should be right on track... ;)

I'm sorry to say, but I miss the joke, 'cause I don't know what WD-40 is. :(
Is it some kind of drug? ;)

h3llbl4z3r
01-22-2004, 08:19 PM
why does everyone refer to drugs these days? wd-40 is not a drug its solvent but it can also be used to lubricate things

anywho awesome work cant wait to see the finished product but too me he looks kinda wierd with his back bending like it does, is he trying to make his chest bigger or something?

edit
ha meant to put a smily after the drugs theses days
\/

Xaint
01-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Was just a joke, smiley is there.

bentllama
01-26-2004, 10:23 AM
update

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/wb-ruff-wire02.jpg

here is a couple more hours into it...had a busy weekend, but I should be on target for getting him finished by the end of the month and mapped/textured by the 14th...

some items are there for reference and have not been cut into the model yet...the flaps eyes, brows and headband are all still reference geometry...I also am waiting to recut the shoulders and joints for proper deformation when aniamting...

** crits are welcome and appreciated **

see you all back here with another update real soon...probably tomorrow night...

GARA
01-26-2004, 02:32 PM
nice, keep going, meh watching...
only one thing, minor...

are you changing the eyes? or you gona stick with the tiny eyes as seen in your sketch?

bentllama
01-26-2004, 05:20 PM
I have been toying with the notion of the eyes staying truer to my sketch [which I could make read really well if aniamted properly] or changing the eyes to make them have more of a pupil/iris and deeper feel [sorta like a Disney character/ Herdy Gerdy / etc]

I am leaning towards the herdy Gerdy/Disney type of eyes since their will be detail in the texture and sheild/armor/belt/sword/etc...

what do you guys think?

SecretAgent
01-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Personally I really like the black "bean" eyes like in the concept. Expecially with really distinct eyebrows, would be very expressive when you animate him. It gives him a more comic strip feel, which I kinda like (reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes a bit).

one question, is there a reason why you are modeling him in that strange position? His back/chest is really arched outwards, is that for animating purposes or just to give hime more character?

SecretAgent
01-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...have you seen pics of the new Sam & Max? They made those exact same kind of "bean" eyes like in your concept? I totally love that look! Anyways, you might wanna check out some pics here if you haven't already Sam & Max (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/freelancepolice/)

MosaFacku
01-26-2004, 06:37 PM
hey man, i like where he's going. i think your approach with the eyes will be good, we did a similar thing for fear effect, and it worked pretty cool, so i'd imagine that on a character like this, it'll be sweet. one thing thats kinda sticking out for me is the hands. i know you want to put in more polys for the other stuff, but since the poly budget is so high, i think the fingers could be a bit smoother. you've got edges midway on the index and pinky finger, so i'd pull those out a bit. i just think right now they're too blocky. other than that, keep on pluggin away!!

bentllama
01-26-2004, 09:18 PM
matt: thanks for the comment on the hands...they are not done...that geo was cut in there to remind me to do them...they will in fact be less blocky...cute little sausage fingers of love...just for you Matt, my little asspuppy... ;)

I am still torn on what to do for the eyes...I love the "black bean" look, though I would make them blue to keep him blond, blue-eyed and innocent...hmmm, we shall see...

YerEvilTwin
01-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Proportions are cute. I think it would be swell if you made one of the tassels on the hat bigger than the other. Also made it would be funny if you made the plates on his back smaller so you see the bottom of his butt.

Also over at Digipen we are having an open house on Feb. 6th for the pros to come out and take a look at our stuff. We all have been grinding our selves to the bone for some hardcore C+C. We would love if you and Mr.Butkus came out for a few to take a look at our stuff.

work that you could take a gander at

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117095

and

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117076

Shishka
01-27-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the blue bean idea. I think it'd be really cute, especially when animated. Stick to your concept!

EVIL
01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Gander? .. ahhwell :)

bentllama
02-02-2004, 09:44 AM
UPDATE

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/wb-ruff-wire03.jpg

so here it is...my latest update...I found a little time to re-work him a bit, but I have been really busy with personal stuff [not to mention playing Halo 2]

here is what I have done since last update:

- re-worked proportions
- cut in rough hands
- cut in hair and scrapped it
- cut in hair again
- tried both types of eyes, I am still very unsure what to do, though I am leaning towards the "jelly-bean style" blue eyes
- roughed in visor placement
- played with sheild and sword scale
- re-did knots for the headband

things to do still:

- optimize topology for both deformation AND reduced polycount
- cut in the hands better
- cut in the top of the head/hair
- finish visor
- cut in boots and make boots larger
- cut in armor flaps and detail
- double check proportions as a whole once everything is cut in
- decide if he needs greaves
- decide on the damn eye style and finish them
- decide if he needs shoulder armor
- finish sword
- finish shield
- optimize topology for both deformation AND reduced polycount

so there you have it... a bit left to do... but I am confident I will get the model done... the UV's laid out and the texturing started before contest end... I will be using painter for the textures, so it may take a little longer than usual... gotta pick away at getting him done inbetween deadlines at work...

he is at 4160 tri's right now with the sword and shield in the scene... and yes, I STILL NEED TO OPTIMIZE HIM... for my sake, I will count the final poly count as NOT including weapons... ;) who cares right? I am not getting judged anyway... you can't judge yourself, that just aint fair! :)

comments and crits welcome as always...

peace.

SecretAgent
02-02-2004, 05:52 PM
cool, he's very nicely done so far - you've done a good job so far of capturing that cartoony style from the old game.

Do you think you could get into H2, so he could square of against the Master Chief?! ha ha!

bentllama
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Eric22
cool, he's very nicely done so far - you've done a good job so far of capturing that cartoony style from the old game.

Do you think you could get into H2, so he could square of against the Master Chief?! ha ha!

thanks for the comments.

H2? You would be surprised what we do throw into the engine for fun... ;)

AdamAtomic
02-02-2004, 11:04 PM
he looks cool as hell! He's coming along great - I can't wait to see the textures. Either style of eye would look fine, I think - a Pixar-style eye with a hi-res texture would look pretty great, but the calvin-and-hobbes/sam-and-max style would totally fit the model as well. I'm on the fence :P Great work!

EVIL
02-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Starting to loook very sweet

CGmonkey
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Wow great modelling bentllama! nice flow and volume!!

Shishka
02-03-2004, 10:25 PM
tried both types of eyes, I am still very unsure what to do, though I am leaning towards the "jelly-bean style" blue eyes

Why don't you give us renders of both examples, so we can help you decide?

Since you're going with a painty, probably vaguely cartoony texture style, I think the cartoon style eyes would probably be better. If you were going for photoreal textures, I might think differently.

cut in armor flaps and detail

Could you, alternatively, use a single sided poly and alpha maps? Which would be the better option? I'm guessing the answer is "If you have the budget for polygonal detail, use it."

decide if he needs shoulder armor

There's not a whole lot of room left for the over-sized details you're giving him. Shoulder pads might convolute the model. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Jeffo
02-04-2004, 02:22 AM
textures!! the people demand textures!

the model is looking ace so far man! put down halo for abit, and finish her up ;) stop teasin!

great concepts too by the way..

cheers man, keep it comin!

Lekku
02-12-2004, 05:49 PM
It's a shame that you aren't entering it in the contest. It looks great, so I assume that you don't have faith in our abilities as judges. Heh heh, no prob - you have good stuff though, just wanted to chime in.

Any plans to texture?

bentllama
02-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Sorry guys/girls/aliens...

Halo 2 dev and a small hockey logo gig and Valentine's took precedence over getting this model finished and textured in time. I will be picking away at him for awhile longer until he is finished...I will have some more progress to show soon...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.