PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5: happosai311: Chrono Trigger: Frog

happosai311
01-05-2004, 06:27 PM
http://www.ffextreme.com/ct/images/gifs%20animes/frog3.gif
WIPs Possibly by the end of the week.

KuGoS
01-05-2004, 11:40 PM
i am frothing at the tips of my mouth to see a rendition of frog in glorified 3d. excellent choice, comrade!

happosai311
01-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Here is the sketch. I based it off of what I thought the original sprite would look like if brought it into 3D... without looking at toriyama's version to sway my decisions. After I finished drawing, I looked at toriyama's and the 1 thing that I wanted to add from his design was the way the front of the pants laced up. Hope you like it.
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_scetch.jpg
Here is a quick paint job of what the colors will probably end up being. I plan to go for a realistic look, so I will make the character less saturated, a little dirty & scratched since he has fought many battles. Ifll probably use real frog skin for the texture.
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_color.jpg
Please let me know what you think.

Supervlieg
01-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Cool, the concept looks great. This should turn out well.

Beaneh
01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
great concept indeed. nice pick as well..

seantree
01-06-2004, 03:49 PM
oh man!!! this is awesome. Frog was my favorite character!!! good looking so far.

Neil
01-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Probably my favorite so far.
No just some 'guy' character.

Got some pics to show us what you're going off of?

happosai311
01-07-2004, 03:29 AM
modeling wip...
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_wip_1.jpg

PhilOsirus
01-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Looking great! I hope you will give it great textures:)

happosai311
01-09-2004, 10:51 PM
WIP update
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_wip2.jpg

happosai311
01-10-2004, 11:22 PM
I have been thinking that the head looks quite big. Does anyone else feel this way? Should i scale the head down some, or leave it alone?

Delarosa
01-10-2004, 11:25 PM
his head is really big, but if you wanna stay true to the concept, it's gotta be big...

TRyanD
01-11-2004, 08:22 AM
THe concept sketch has the head looking more like a lizard, more mean heh. The current one looks kinda like something you would see for the head of a costum. Maybee flatten the sides of the head more, kinda more blocky i guess.

max0l
01-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Nice modelin there, I like the way the head is now.
It's a frog so it's head needz to be big.
Makes it nice and cartoon looky.

Gyzer
01-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Frog looks...well like frog, which is good. Only complaint that I have is that u should have pushed the stylization of him more and pushed his proportions more, cause he looks pretty close to the original frog. Otherwise, the model is dead on, can't wait to see him textured.

Akildee
01-12-2004, 03:12 PM
in your side view sketch, the bridge of the nose flows into the top of the eye. If you make this change in your model, it will have more character for sure. Nic job otherwise!

akil

happosai311
01-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions about his big head. Here is the new head. It looks more like a frog and less like a helmet, and the size is still true to my sketch. The Body and weapons are also finished. After a little optimization I was able to get the complete package down to 4486. Which is perfect for me because in the beginning I set out to use as close to the 4500 limit as I could get. His sword holster has been removed for various reasons: poly count, clipping through cape when the cape is animated, valuable texture Real Estate, etc.
I'm going to start unwrapping him tomorrow... Let me know if anything should be fixed, changed, tweaked, etc.
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_heads.jpg
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_4486.jpg

Supervlieg
01-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Cool and clean model. This should be really excellent with a texture. Does his mouth have an inside?

What are you planning for the cape? Will you use a cloth plugin or will you model it into the right shape? I'm doing a cape for my character as well, and I still have to figure out what I'll do with the cape.

happosai311
01-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I modeled the inside of his mouth. I plan to have his mouth opening for some poses. The cape will be done with bones that will be parented to the shoulders. Maybe 3-4 bones for the left side of the cape and 3-4 for the right. So you can have that "flowing in the wind" look when he is animated.

SecretAgent
01-15-2004, 05:05 AM
Very nice model and great character choice. I think you did a great job of representing how he was in the game.

one crit, use up those last few polys in his cape, no sense in wasting them.

happosai311
01-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Good idea, Eric. I needed 20 polys to add another horizontal row to the cape. (10 front, 10 back) but i only had 14 left... so I had to take out a few polys from places that could spare them. So now the cape has a bit more geometry, and his final poly count is 4500 even.

Also I'm almost done with the UV's, I will post the UV's soon for crits on my texture placement.

happosai311
01-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Started texturing the head. The head itself is close to done... So let me know what you think so far. Sorry for the small pic, my free web space is almost used up.
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/frog_texture_wip.jpg

Gatling
01-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Awesome.

J.K.Makowka
01-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Looks really good, but I am not sure if a less photorealistic and more anime style skin wouldn't fit better to the character.

happosai311
01-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Another WIP update. I still need to paint his arms, and do some touch-ups here and there. I hope to finish soon so I can start rigging.
Looks really good, but I am not sure if a less photorealistic and more anime style skin wouldn't fit better to the character.
Let me know if it still bothers you now that most of the textures are done, and you can see the complete picture.
For me I prefer a more photorealistic approach for this character.

http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/WIP_frog.jpg

SecretAgent
01-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Looking very nice happosai311. My only crit at this point is that the head and eye texture don't seem to match up very well with the rest of the texturing in that the head and eye seem very photo sourced and the rest of the texturing has a very painterly look. It almost looks like two mixed styles that don't seem to match.

My suggestions to help alleviate that problem is to "grunge/dirty" up his armour and clothing. Use some more photo sourcing to help beat up those parts of the texture and get more color variation into those flat/plain areas of color such as the grey/silver armour.

For instance in the skin, there are lots of shades and tones of color like yellows, browns, reds etc. - this king of variation needs to be carried throughout the rest of the textured parts like the pants, armour etc.

And to finish him off, I would add things like dents, scratches, rust, blood stains to him since he is an adventuring character.

Don't get me wrong though, I really like how he has turned out so far but, I think with just a bit more he could be really really great looking. Keep up the good work (and sorry for the long rant, heh).

proudclod
01-28-2004, 01:54 AM
wow, really beautiful work... Very true to frog... Now all we need is a dialog box with him saying something like. I will protectiveth art thou, princess nadia :)

BlackZ
01-29-2004, 01:32 PM
and now put him into a cool pose.... :)

mv
01-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Looks neat. But I'm 100% with Eric on his crit. Following those suggestions would make your char go to the next level.

Keep it up!

Guntharf
01-29-2004, 03:01 PM
agree with eric but is not so important for me :) Contrasts are sometimes really interesting .Btw, i really love your "painted style" on your texture job. UXO like :)

Keep posting !

happosai311
02-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the crits and compliments everyone. I agree about there being too much of a contrast between the style of the head and the rest of the body. So, I pushed the dirt & scratches further and desaturated the skin a little. I also finished texturing the arms, redesigned the armour on his chest, rigged, and posed him.
Let me know what you think...
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/6751116.jpg
http://venus.walagata.com/w/happosai311/pose2.jpg
<edit> fixed link

SecretAgent
02-11-2004, 05:49 AM
Very nice work! His coloring seems a little bland/flat and I know you were going for realism but, I think maybe a touch of color somewhere like maybe a bright red colored jewel in his breast plate might really make him stand out. But he really has turned out great! Nice job mate!

modeling-man
02-11-2004, 06:39 AM
I like this alot and I think some tweaking in levels, variations, and saturation would fix up some of the lesser contrasted areas. I think what it really drawing my eye is well, his eyes. They look like they are pulled straight from a photo (which ain't bad and if you painted them from scratch that is way cool) but I think when I see that I expect the rest of the textures to follow the same level of detail/contrast.

Besides that I really dig this. I named the frog dude "Zen" when I played Chrono Trigger, and he stayed in my party til the end...he RULES!
B

SuperCat
02-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Wow. Brilliant work. That frogs head is amazingly realistic, much more so than mine. Could we see the textures? I'm sure I'd pickup a few things. Great work though. Love the poses too.

Confracto
02-11-2004, 05:25 PM
wow...it's...FROG!

as much as I agree that some of the texturing seems off, I'd say you've captured Frog perfectly! GJ!

Supervlieg
02-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Whoa, this turned out really excellent. I like the realistic look of it all. I would ad a bit more color, just to make him stand out more as a lead character. But other then that, great job!

leigh
02-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Haha that's an awesome character! I personally rather like the low contrasted textures - I often find myself thinking that game textures are a little too contrasted and saturated.

Very cool work! I didn't know about these challenges before.

Neox
02-11-2004, 09:21 PM
"I often find myself thinking that game textures are a little too contrasted and saturated"

thats because grey in grey with low contrast is making a lot of people depressive, on our game we tried to make it less saturated as in other games but after 2 years of development no one in the team wanted to see those "boring" and depressive graphics... warm and saturated colors and contrasts are really more relaxing to look at... as long as the contrasts ain't too hard ;)

@happosai311: great work, very well done.. .but try to get a more solid look to your textures, they don't look like they have the same quality, the face is way better texturized then the sword, you should fix that to create a "round" look :)

Mahlikus
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Um..there are quads...isnt it only supposed to be tris. Now, no disrespect here, this guys is wicked awesome. I just don't understand. I don't do game modeling so I don't understand why only tris. I guess a final wire would be cool. Maybe some info on the tri thing and if you still have quads...damn I sound like a dumbass.

Cheers

Neox
02-12-2004, 07:58 AM
well a game engine is only working with tris, but wuads are easier to handle as a mdoeller, so as long as the mesh look correct there is no need to model with tris only :)

Gyzer
02-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Personally with working in max, I work in edit polly which only deals with quads, but u still go by tris by either converting it to edit mesh or turn to mesh. In maya I'm not 100% sure on how it works in there, I haven't worked much in maya. With all game companies they go by tris, not quads. And if they're doing something for playstation that goes by verts.

Neox
02-12-2004, 10:11 AM
in my oppinion the tri-count or vertex-count shouldn't change your way of modelling... if there are quads in you model in Max,Maya or whatever software they are only there, as long as your polygoncounter is counting the tris your model will look like in the engine, you don't have to triangulate everything. As long as your mesh looks fine it doesn't matter if all edges are visible or not, they will be in the engine... maybe its just my way of modelling but i'm much faster on quads and more flexible when adding details, but i add tris in aread where i need to turn a edge or where tris are helping to let it look smoother :)

Dancing Monkey
02-12-2004, 12:29 PM
I wanna play a game with this guy in there. DUDE! You did really well. I don't know what it is that makes me like this... The overall... erm... everything is most excellent!

Mahlikus
02-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys.
Sorry to kick it off topic happosai311. I too would love to take this guy out for a spin...maybe set him up for UT2003/2004?...LOL. That would be cool to set all these game characters up in it and have a CGTalk Deathmatch!

Cheers

ckaos@om
02-15-2004, 02:17 AM
Simply fantastic !
Always great to see new chrono trigger characters translated into 3d !
Love both the model and the textures , but the sword and shield seem just a tad too "bland" compared to the rest (particularly the swords blade ) and the armors "brass" part a tiny bit washed out , but fantastic model nonetheless !
I think we have a winner :)

Mananetwork
02-16-2004, 10:09 AM
That looks sweet!! I'm pretty surprised how good lowpoly characters look now a days!

Ivars
02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Hi. Just wanna congratulate you on a job well done. Incredibly smooth, and a great interpritation of the original! I realy like what you did with the texture for his head. The only problem I can see is the swordtexture, it looks a bit dull. But overall a beautifull piece.

Blud_Stane
02-21-2004, 09:03 AM
this is my favorite of the contest, the only complaint i have is the face is so detailed, but the body is so bland :(

a nice balance of detail would make this character looks more complete, it seems you took all the time in the face and wanted to just finish and rushed the body? anyway great overall, hope you flesh him out more

Lekku
02-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Any ideas for the next contest?

amola2k
03-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Wow !
its so cool to see frog from chrono trigger made in 3d !
really good job in therE !
reall brings back good memories
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.