PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5 : NicoDN : Ultima VIII - Avatar

NicoDN
01-05-2004, 06:33 PM
My entry is the challenge ! Do you remember Ultima VIII Pagan and his great hero ? I've named the Avatar !
4 pixels by 10, a great hero !
My ref pic :
http://nicodn.fin-igs.com/u8.jpg

mv
01-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Nice to see you entering this comp. Avatar is cool... Ultima rules.

check your Private Messages!

Erotic Fetus
01-06-2004, 03:19 AM
i loved that game when i was smaller, i think i played one of the earlier games of the series, it's just too bad i couldnt understand it 100% since i was about... 9 years old back then.

When i envision him in 3d, i imagine a ned kelly-esque person.

NicoDN
01-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Thanks to be here m@ ! Hoping see you in another challenge, and on Expose 2 especially.

Erotic foetus, it's cool to see another Ultima player. For my, I've just play on the 8°, but it was in 1994 and I was ten... But if I remember, m@, you've played on Ultima VII Underground, no ?

Well,...
My first attempt to do a sketch for Avatar. I'm not proud of me, and I hope I gonna be a better modeler than drawer...
I'm wrong with this helm but I've tryed several type of helm with ref pics... I don't know what it's wrong ( ? ). More problems too...

I gonna do anothers pics, but actually, tell me what you think about that :
http://nicodn.fin-igs.com/sketch_1.jpg

mv
01-07-2004, 02:09 AM
pas mal. But I assume he's got a chain mail , a helmet alone looks strange... the proportions are overall good :) . Keep concepting until you're satisfied.

barclan
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Hi NicoDN,
I think as well the helmet could be better. I would take references from real medieval helmets and take ideas for your design.
Modelling is a matter of work and patience, I think. Drawing is much more important in my opinion, it´s a matter of talent that can be trained little to little. After all almost every 3d becames at last 2d. So, my advice, keep on drawing.

My link is already working properly. Sorry it did not work for you last time.

DreiGrasheir
01-08-2004, 08:50 PM
i'd suggest giving him pants. that... just doesn't look right o.O

SammyB
01-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Oh man, love avatar, he's so cool. However I have to admit I don't like that concept so much. In Ultima VIII looks like he's got sorta knee-high metal boots and the helmet doesn't seem to get any wider at the base, whereas the one you drew does. Also, I thought the helmet had one wide slit for the eyes, not induvidual holes? Bah, I dunno what i'm talking about, good luck with the model.

scribble
01-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Maybe try getting a screen capture of the Intro? You will be able to see more details of avatar in that. Good luck. Cool character. :)

NicoDN
01-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks for comment everybody, happy to see others people liking Ultima's serie. Sorry for the absence of progression, I have a lot of personnal problems for now and no time for CG art.
This new sketch try to correct some problems you evoke... Helmet was re-done with XIII° century french helm, I do longer pants and metal boots as he seems to wear in the game.

Have fun everybody, this challenge is turning good !

http://nicodn.fin-igs.com/sketch_2.jpg

YerEvilTwin
01-23-2004, 08:14 PM
In what ways is your darwing diferent from the sorce? Reread the contest rules.

NicoDN
01-23-2004, 09:38 PM
YerEvilTwin, what's the problem with this ? You just don't have to inspire yourself from a 3D existing model, I don't think it was a problem to keep the original design.

Ferg
01-23-2004, 11:22 PM
excerpt from contest rules:

"Your goal is to take a pixel character and recreate it in 3d but without using existing design of the official 3d characters "

I dont really know how to interpret this, but personally I don't see the point in just copying another person's design.

YerEvilTwin
01-23-2004, 11:28 PM
It's too much like the sprite. You are not making the model your own. You are just copying, and that's not artistic. What is artistic and original about your concept art? I'm trying to help you, that's why you posted it.

It's a bad concept, try again.

m_luscombe
01-24-2004, 03:15 AM
My impression of the content rules was that, if there wasn't already a 3D model, it was fine to follow the design of the sprite.

The point was really so that people couldn't just find reference for the Mario mesh and copy it, claiming it was their design. We are allowed to recreate a sprite in 3D, straight from the sprite reference, if desired.

Don't try to enforce the rules, guys. You're starting to sound like hall monitors.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.