PDA

View Full Version : tube poly stuff

teacup
06-21-2002, 12:53 AM
I'm making a low poly character, and I want to make some tubes coming out of him but I'm unsure o the best method for this.

On the left of the pic the base polys and the tube coming out are not connected, just positioned so they are touching, is this way acceptable for a game model, or should it be connected fully as in the pic on the right.

Thanks

kandyman
06-21-2002, 12:49 PM
ask your engine programmer if he wants tristrips or if he doesn't care if the render state has to be switched, and base your method on that.

If you are doing this for fun, don't waste time thinking about it.

teacup
06-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Ok that makes no sense to me at all :) I'm just doing some characters for my portfolio, and was just thinking in a general game engine, nothing specific. So either way is fine, it just depends on the engine?

I was also thinking of putting my character into quake3, would this be a problem for it?

Thanks

blankslatejoe
06-21-2002, 03:20 PM
for excellent book on game low poly modelling, check out

modelling a low polygon character in 3d studio Max, by paul steed (quake 2 and 3 modeler)

it's an EXCELLENT book, i learned more about 3dmax in general from that book then from any webpage or tutorial... not just low poly info, the stuff i learned from that book is applicable everywhere...

teacup
06-21-2002, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting that book for a while, but I'm not sure if I'll learn enough from it to be worth 40 (get no money see) I'LL have to find it in a book shop so I can have a proper look through.

blankslatejoe
06-21-2002, 03:51 PM
yeah, i had wasted a few $$ on some other books, and although they were nice, this book is a keeper. Here's why I liked it, particularly:

The whole book is one long tutorial, from start to finish, from sketching to texturing, a low poly girl.
But, here's where its cool: it's like those cooking shows, where they begin cooking one thing and put it in the oven to bake, and pull out another tray of the same thing already baked, this book is like that.

Every four or five pages the book CD gives you an updated model, exactly like the book at that point, so if you screw up, you only are lost for a few pages at most before he grounds you again with a new save file (although you can work continuously from your model start to finish if you don't mess upat all).I don't know why other books don't do that, the files aren't too large, and I have trouble following directions perfectly like most tutorials require. I was still able to pick up a thing or two from this book, and am waiting impatiently for the "animating" sequel to come out.

as far as learning:
I didn't know anything about vertex manipulation/ uvmapping or optimization until i read this book. I mean, I know i sound a little toooo excited about it, but I just really found it helpful, and can't talk about it enough.

blankslatejoe
06-21-2002, 03:59 PM
but thats just me , im a slow learner

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.