PDA

View Full Version : Mentalray and Maya Layered shaders

AniMo
01-04-2004, 09:03 PM
im not sure if someone talked about this already but as
i do streams of testrenders i felt like since i applyed some layered shaders to my character
the render time exploded from 2 mins to about 7

is it possible that MR handles layered shaders really crappy ?

if so !? ..workaround ? solution tricky trick ?
thx for any tip :)

brunner
01-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Well, it does say in the docs that layered shaders are slow, but i don't know if they are really THAT slow.

i-d
01-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Sorry to inform you that you are right.
I'm rapidly developing new skills in texturing due to this.
Dont get me wrong, I would very much like to use layerd
shaders but its insane for now.

AniMo
01-05-2004, 01:03 AM
what a shame if i render the same scene with maya render
(i had no fg or gi applied)
it takes 38 secs :[ lol
just 4 layered shaders make my render time *14
..X_X

jeremybirn
01-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Much of the time people use layered shaders, they aren't really needed - take a look at whether the result you want could be achieved via layered textures instead.

-jeremy

AniMo
01-05-2004, 03:19 AM
hmmmmmmm.......as much as i know
layered textures with MR doesnt work at all ! ^^

:hmm:

JasonA
01-05-2004, 05:01 AM
Layered textures and shaders both work fine with mental ray (perhaps slower than maya's renderer, but I'd honestly don't see that much of a difference). I'm using them in several models in maya 4.5

jeremybirn
01-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by AniMo
hmmmmmmm.......as much as i know
layered textures with MR doesnt work at all !

hmmm.. There are many ways to layer textures, maybe you've found a broken one I haven't yet. The ways I've tried ("Layered Texture" nodes, chaining textures in "Color Gain" or "Color Offset," "Blend Colors" nodes, "+/- Average" nodes) all work fine in MR from Maya 5, matching Maya Renderer output almost exactly.

-jeremy

Timefly
01-05-2004, 11:45 AM
are you doing any sort of raytracing (reflections,refractions, shadows) if so, you can expect a much longer rendertime with a layered (regardless of maya or mr is the renderer....and as others have mentioned layered shaders dont seem to be fully implemented with mr yet)

just looked at the manual, it seems layered shaders dont work correct if either GI or caustics are used, cant find that there should be other issues

T

PsychoSilence
01-07-2004, 11:03 AM
what is do if i render in MR with layered shaders is, that is use the "convert material to texture map(? hope you know what i mean)" funktion in the hypershade after i set my mapping (automatic mappiung e.g.)... so hypershade bakes a single texture out all the layers wich will be handled by MR as a usual texture map...this speeds up the render process alot...

hth
psycho

/// edit falls du nich weiter kommst damit, schreib ne PM ;) ?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.