PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

RobinOberg
06-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Hi! Im Robin Öberg (hence my nick)

I like fooling around with 3d graphics.
I have some experience with Rhino and now im teaching myself lightwave.

as i think i look in this forum quite a bit recently i thought i would introduce myself to you all.

my work is nothing to be showing, as it doesnt show what i can do at this point (but if you really want i have the sanem nick at renderosity.com)

Psyhke
06-21-2002, 01:06 AM
Hello--

I've wondered about Rhino, from time to time. I'm fairly new to 3D programs, so LW has been plenty to keep me busy. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on LW's modeling compared to Rhino.

Right now, it seems like LW modeling will be able to to do anything I can imagine, but who knows, in a few years maybe I'll be able to imagine it.

:)

Dis
06-21-2002, 01:51 AM
Welcome ! :beer:

RobinOberg
06-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Rhino is a nurbs modeller, and lightwave is mainly a polygons modeller.
Rhino is easier but gives you less control over individual poly's.
Some things takes longer to do in rhino (like simple bevel operations in lightwave) but often there are other ways to do the same object.

it would probably be a good idea to combine them both, but thats nothing i would take the time to do(lightwave is more then enough :))

rhino hasnt been in the scene as long as lightwave. its mostly designers that use it, making vacuum cleaners and shoes and stuff. that thing that the hobgoblin in spiderman flies around with, that was made in rhino.

rhino is also great at not merging but combining polygonic shapes, like the nose of a face that seems to be the same shape really isnt. that way you can save polys. but its hard to animate...

rhino is cheap as it is only a modeler, but if add the price of a renderer it is almost at the same price as lightwave. add the fact that you cant animate from rhino or its rendercompanion flamingo...

CIM
06-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Hey hey. :wavey:

Psyhke
06-22-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by RobinOberg
rhino is also great at not merging but combining polygonic shapes, like the nose of a face that seems to be the same shape really isnt. that way you can save polys. but its hard to animate...

Is this like the layers in LW?

RobinOberg
06-23-2002, 12:39 AM
well, you have layers in rhino aswell so i will have to say no :)
im a bit crappy at english...

i can explain it like this;
in lightwave you can have a cube made up of 6 polygons all connected to eachother.
(you cant do that in rhino)
if you made the same cube in rhino made up of nurbs it would be 6 different mesh's.
the good thing about that in rhino is that you can have one mesh made up of far more polygons then the rest without having to worry about where the vertices are on the edges of the cube.
the bad thing would be that you have 6 different objects instead of one, so if youre going to animate it you better have support for nurbs in that animation/rendering program :)

i think i got all the terms right, correct me if im wrong :)

Psyhke
06-29-2002, 01:17 AM
I think I understand now. That's interesting... so one way you could say it, is that it allows you to ALIGN complex or simple meshes together-- Something that is tricky in a poly modeler like LW.

When I say tricky, I refer to the times I've tried to somehow 'attach' a high detail SubPatch area to a larger, low-poly SubPatch area. Even if you can align it just right, you can never make the smoothing work so that it appears as one un-creased surface. (This, however, is acceptable in situations when a non-smooth trasition between the two areas is what you're shooting for).

RobinOberg
06-29-2002, 01:53 PM
yeah, and it would probably work real fine to animate if the animation program had native support for nurbs, i dont think you could model something in rhino and then animate it in lightwave. well, perhaps if its an inorganic shape, like a car. but if its a face or creature it might be hard.

some poser models has made in rhino, but it wasnt easy for them. the inorganic ones like cars and stuff works fine cause they dont need to change the mesh in any(like a morph would do), but when you have a character with clothes on it gets harder since all the different meshes has to follow the same charactershape.

Psyhke
06-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Well, what about 'freezing' the rhino model? Does it allow you to basically combine all these separate mesh pieces into one mesh? I'm guessing not. Or if it did, it would probably be messy (like booleans can get messy), and would probably defeat the purpose behind why they designed it the way it is in the first place.

RobinOberg
06-30-2002, 11:16 AM
there is a merge command, but it isnt all that great.
there really is not need to merge the meshes when youre inside rhino.

speaking of booleans, they work great in rhino. ofcourse you get a mess, but you wont notice it much while working in rhino.

Psyhke
07-02-2002, 04:21 AM
Rhino sounds like an interesting approach to modelling. Thanks for the info!:beer: ... Someday perhaps I'll have a need to try Rhino out.

RobinOberg
07-02-2002, 09:44 AM
it wasnt my intention to advertise for rhino :)
if you think it sounds ok you can try the demo, but i suggest staying with lightwave and forget about rhino ;)

Psyhke
07-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Ha ha... no I didn't think you were advertising:) I just mean now I know more about rhino if a need ever arises.

Cman
07-02-2002, 09:23 PM
I tried the Rhino demo. It's very cool.
Some stuff I liked is Contrustion Plane.
And if your selecting could include more than one point or edge an automatic popup appears under the mouse to select one or the other.
Very nifty.
Of course the lofting and birail stuff was fun.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.