PDA

View Full Version : CHARLEY the bears (Cartoon character)

squeezestudio
01-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi all,
This is my last work. His name is CHARLEY . Here's a new character i made during last week's . Rendered with no special renderer, the fur was done with shag hair/Fur ... I used 3ds max 5.1...

C+C welcome , I hope you like it!!

http://www.ftattoo.com/squeeze/CHARLEY.jpg

My webpage (http://www.ftattoo.com/squeeze/)

Alderian
01-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Look like he has been beaten by the crazy stick :)

Very nice indeed, he's got alot of character, waiting for an animation.:thumbsup:

berniebernie
01-04-2004, 03:21 PM
really nice looking fur and expressions on this character, reminds me a bit of one of the toons in 'Ice Age'

Digimatrix
01-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Charley is great!

JFFORTIN
01-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Nice Character u got there he look funny.............
l think now Charley want to move :)
kEEP IT UP paT...............
:)

SN0WM@N
01-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Very nice and it only took you the weekend?? you are definetly good.

Shoom
01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Good work and morphs :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Troy
01-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Dude! This bear is great, all your characters have such a distinctive style, and the expressions on this bear are good..

lovely fur too

Goul
01-04-2004, 06:10 PM
The fur is awsome , and the model looks fun....
I've seen some of your animations before ,and...i can't wait to see one with this bear :bounce: :drool:

Adam
01-04-2004, 08:08 PM
sqeeze this charcter is really great and you have such over the top morphs/blendshapes they really help capture the crazy appeal... also the bodies simplisity helps draw you to the face. I think your gonna have to do some fun animation with him. Anyway he looks really great thanks for sharing him

ThomasMahler
01-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Maybe you should try to get a job at BlueSky Studios? ;-)

Looks really great, very much like Ice Age.

But, hey, you make you angry... I thought you'd be animating Arnold, your mouse - And now... a whole new character. I (I guess all of us!) would LOVE to see animations for your characters. Think about it - Your characters would deserve it...

DrQuincy
01-04-2004, 09:12 PM
There's a certain style to this character.... it's really good.. really good. I hope to see this animated.

tubby
01-04-2004, 11:18 PM
great character. i love how wacky he looks, and the fur looks great.I'd say exagerate those expressions even more though. damn, you really got an eye for fun characters man, keep it up:thumbsup:

muckymouse
01-05-2004, 07:47 AM
I love this guy! Awsome work. He has that twinkle of life that a 2d cartoon has but its cooler cause he's got fur!! Just about my favorite thing so far on this site..

Keep up the good work!

=RUnyon

opendesigner
01-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey your character is GREAT as always.....you have a greate style!!

Keep up the great work ;D

Massimo :bounce: :bounce:

squeezestudio
01-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys ! i'm really glad you liked him

Hi Thomas ! for the mouse ARNOLD , i will animate this character soon as possible... but Charley the bear is another idea with more possibility for animation ... many short story... with simple idea... Its better than a long short with Arnold (a little mouse with cheese)... its not original.... I need to have a great storybord , great idea , great concept , for make original work with Arnold ...

Thanks for comment !

Crewler
01-05-2004, 11:59 AM
in german we say "drollig" :DD. looks realy nice, reminds me a litle to "ice age".my mother came evenly into my room and said "hey what a sweeet screensaver :love:" to it :thumbsup:

crewler

Ac0rN
01-05-2004, 02:06 PM
haha awesome character :applause:

CharleyBoy
01-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey Pat

Another caracter that looks really great as usual.
And he's named just like me. Yeahhhhh!!!

Keep on working!!

Charley :surprised

Jako
01-05-2004, 04:17 PM
He looks like a mix of a Ice Age animal (head) and Homer Simpson (body) :)
Great work!
Can't wait for the animation

Jako

ThomasMahler
01-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Hey, I'm really curious: How long does it take to render one single frame with fur and everything applied for just that character on your machine (Specs)?

Really keen to know if it would be possible to render a longer animation without taking a year to render...

Last time I tried Shag:Fur was on my old P3 500 Machine and it took Y E A R S to render a single frame, allthough the results were very cool.

Now I'm on Maya (Awesome for character animations!) and would love to know if there´s a plug (Shave and Haircut... naaaah) that could bring me similiar results. And hey... I'd like to know if someone knows a tutorial how to set up polyplane fur, just as in Ice Age, with Maya.

Sorry for that off topic comment, but hey, you're inspiring, Squeeze! :-)

squeezestudio
01-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Thomas Mahler Hey, I'm really curious: How long does it take to render one single frame with fur and everything applied for just that character on your machine (Specs)?

He Thomas !

render time for a 640/480 its 37 sec ... I dont have texture on the character and i dont use a special renderer (brazil ,vray) .. i used default renderer ... 16 lights... in dome position. I optimize some little things like that for have a fast render....

Thanks for C&C!

machine specs : P4 2400 mgh , 512 ram , geforce 4 256 mo

mattmos
01-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Gorgeous! I'm very impressed with all your characters having been to your website before. They have a very strong style to them, and it works brilliantly. Would you mind me asking you a question about how you rigged the eyes (specifically the eyelids) to work? I'm trying to rig a set of eyelids properly but failing miserably so far...

flegos
01-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Excellent work! I love how wacky he looks :) I hope you make a funny animation. :beer:
Keep it up, you have a good style!

sorry for my bad english

Frenkie
01-05-2004, 06:35 PM
cool!i love your bears much!

rikrog
01-05-2004, 06:47 PM
lovely character, congratulations.

my only gripe is his legs - that look to over simple and characterless - but maybe its just the pose?

leigh
01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Awwww cuuuuute :love:

This little guy has loads of personality! Great expressions :D

I must agree with rikrog that I feel the legs are perhaps a little too simple, but maybe this is intentional?

Great work regardless, this guy has such a cool personality, I'm putting this on the front page :)

squeezestudio
01-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the comments ! :buttrock:

thanks for the front page Leigh ! about the legs that was intentional but i was planning to add some details on the feet .

see ya !

Zack
01-05-2004, 07:00 PM
No more caffeine for you Charley...

bentllama
01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
fun character. now lets see him move!

:beer:

LittleFenris
01-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Oh man, I can just see this bear going all skitso (sp?) at a yellowstone campsite or something. like a psychotic yogi bear. :buttrock: hehehe

Remi
01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Great!!!!! and i'm with bent...let's see this guy in motion:)....nice work:)

Tim Deneau
01-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Hah, love your style!

arliss
01-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Influenced by blue sky just a teeny bit???:wavey:

Regardless very cool character!:beer:

In time you will find your own style;)

ssj5rafael
01-05-2004, 08:02 PM
GREAT!!!

COOL!!!!

GOOD JOB!!!!!

:applause:
:applause::beer:

westmeadow
01-05-2004, 08:12 PM
hiya Patrick,
I'm also loving this character (and those leading upto him). Your characters just ooze personality and charm. I would also like to know how you go about making those eyes. how do you make the lids deform round the ball?

good work,

Arron

Goro
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
very nice! I love the characterdesign!!! Fantastic

unwrap
01-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Extra!

LittleFenris
01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Assie
I would also like to know how you go about making those eyes. how do you make the lids deform round the ball?

Morph target I would imagine.

Nima-3dman
01-05-2004, 08:39 PM
I alwaye liked your works and particularly your character lighting and rendering when you use shag hair...:thumbsup:

Nima NF

???
01-05-2004, 08:40 PM
that think scare me as hell when i saw it in the front for cgtalks layout site :eek: so well done... cool stuff dude :thumbsup:

westmeadow
01-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
Morph target I would imagine.

I would of thought it might of been a bit more to it than that. Maybe Patrick could clear it up.

Teckniel
01-05-2004, 09:17 PM
very cute as usaly could i please see a wire???

squeezestudio
01-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Teckniel : very cute as usaly could i please see a wire???

Thanks for comment ! :buttrock:

http://www.ftattoo.com/squeeze/wireframe.jpg

StoneR
01-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Assie - try this, make the sphere for the eye, then clone it, scale it just a little bit larger, then cut it into two halfs, now you have the lids that rotate around the eye perfectly

gman
01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
nice work man!

I'm trying to get my shag fur to look like yours but i'm having some issues. Could you take a screen-shot maybe to show the settings you use and also how you handled the materials.

cheers

JRGauthier
01-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Nice Pat! Very Funny!

Like everybody said, I wanna see this guy animated!

Tubby said you should exagerate even more those facial expression, I kind of agree with him. Maybe add some more distortions to the face?

Anyways good job man!!:thumbsup:

Wilson-3d
01-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Great Character! He is awsome. Also I enjoyed your website.

isaak
01-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Ha ha ha!!!,your characters are very funny:) .Some animation for Charley?

ajsfuxor
01-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Man i love this style, its soooo good.

Quick question, do u have any sketches of these guys, or are they born straight out of your head directly into the computer. Do you have any reference material for the design of this guy?(and your other characters?)

Keep up the amazing work, its great to see this sort of great character design.

Blackhorse
01-06-2004, 12:50 AM
i like those charaters which are coverd by fur. you know they are so cute! good work man, nice expression of the charater.

cheers:thumbsup:

squeezestudio
01-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Glad you like it!
Thanks for the suggestion !

ajsfuxor Man : ''Quick question, do u have any sketches of these guys, or are they born straight out of your head directly into the computer. Do you have any reference material for the design of this guy?(and your other characters?)''
Squeeze : '' when i create a 3d model , i test some little sketch on paper..... ajust size of the character , style , and principal position ... in a simple draw. After , i start the 3D model with my little draw and my principal idea . Sometime , i need to change many things on 3D model for have great result beacause i dont have the complete idea on paper... but i make a little bit more time on ajustement for make a model same of my first idea.

Thanks again! See y'all!

mrtprodz
01-06-2004, 01:02 AM
HA! he's naked! :scream: (i just saw the wire version :D )
wow, incredible character! like he's ready to say "wana hug" ;)

phoenix
01-06-2004, 05:43 AM
really impressive work

rrobert
01-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Nice, but are u ever gonna model a creature without the fur??:P

shcmack
01-06-2004, 07:40 AM
wow!:eek: That's great! Are you going to animate it?

greydef
01-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Reminds me a lot of the Aardman animation style - Chicken Run, Creature Comforts etc.

Great:applause: Aardman website (http://www.aardman.com/)

sawoozer
01-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Wow........I like your character setting.....
and the fur is awesome

Keep going!!

frameless
01-06-2004, 08:28 AM
lol, that's a nice one! simple but lots of persionality. great work. ;)

Polar
01-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Nice simple character, I like the fur it make him look like a toy.
:thumbsup: The volume of the bear are a little bit static ,that is not bad if it is part of his personality.

good work!

Genko3D
01-06-2004, 08:32 AM
V. nice, but you forgot the tail :)

squeezestudio
01-06-2004, 11:30 AM
jh_: Wow! That's great! Are you going to animate it?

Squeeze : Yes , now i'm working on the bone setup and rig . I will make many short animation with him . I will post some test animation soon as possible ..

Thanks for all comments and suggestion !

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

m-greenwood
01-06-2004, 12:48 PM
:applause:
Very nice model you got there, mate!
Can't wait to see some movement from him...

bkroll
01-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Patrick,

Great character! Your models always have such personality. I really think you mastered Shag:Hair/ Fur. I'm still working with understanding the plug-in and was wondering if you used the Hair or Fur portion of it? If you used the Hair portion, do you use guide hairs to get it to lay properly?

- Bret

Modron
01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
what is 'shag'? Is that the new technology that is like 3D alpha maps? That fur looks great whatever it is. The character could use a bit more of a hard edge imo, but that's just a personal preference. Nice renders. :D

ckpew99
01-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Model looks great!!:applause:
I like all the morphs youve made with the facial expression. I praticularlly <sp> like the way youve done the teeth. Cant wait to see him animated!

Teckniel
01-06-2004, 03:26 PM
yeah tell use more about the Shag:Hair/ Fur.
Like what you did to get it that nice

Share us some tips ;)

kurt30
01-06-2004, 04:26 PM
man that's cool!

Kel Solaar
01-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Hehe nice design!

squeezestudio
01-06-2004, 05:11 PM
THANKS guys !!!!!!

Teckniel : ''yeah tell use more about the Shag:Hair/ Fur.
Like what you did to get it that nice ''

this is a brief explanation to make the fur on a character :

1 : create many spline around my character , with different curves and sizes.

2 : apply a model hair on each spline (modify panel)

3 : create a shag render in environnement parameter and a shag hair.

4 : in shag hair in environnement , (pick the emiter (spline=model hair) and the mesh .

5 : apply different ID on your character

6 : if you have 4 different types of hair.... (=4 type ID) . create 4 shag hair in environment parameter)

7 : apply each shag hair on each ID .

8 : tweak all the parameters , thinkness , color , twisk , seed, angle ..... to have the result you want .

9 : create a shag material on material editor , apply each material you created on each part of shag. adjust all the parameters for the '' hair effect '' with the specular , sninny and glossy ...''

10 : you are all set !

I hope is going to help you , good luck

(Sorry for my poor english)

Thehustle
01-06-2004, 05:43 PM
for real...Charley looks like like he was once this graceful powerful cuddly bear then one day he jus got beat wit a stick and ....TADA....CHARLEY.....he's awsome ...my comment is like evryone's else...Animate him he's got a lt of character

symor
01-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Patrick, you have a teriffic and very funny style, and this character stays true to it.

I've got your mouse character on my desktop!

Keep up the great work!

Strob
01-06-2004, 07:05 PM
HEy! Nice job!

Howdy Patrick! Are you still working at Interstation?

Wath is Squeeze Studio about?

Everyone excuse me for using french:

Et si tu veux participer à un forum en français, y'a une nouvelle section 3D sur le forum bédéka:http://www.inxslutz.com/bedeka/index.php

C'est un forum fait par une gagne de bédéistes de Québec (Grafik Sismik).

Ciao!

shcmack
01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Thnx for the explanation how to make the fur :thumbsup:
I'm so looking forward to see that guy animated :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Teckniel
01-06-2004, 07:15 PM
thx m8 will test it out if it dont work out can i pm you??

squeezestudio
01-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi Strob ! oui je travaille chez interstation (mainenant 6ix degrés) je suis animateur 3D et pour squeezestudio c 'est juste un nickname pour mes travaux personnel. merci pour le link ... je vais aller faire un ptit tour !

Teckniel : thx m8 will test it out if it dont work out can i pm you??

Squeeze : '' send me a mail ... squeezestudio@hotmail.com ''

:thumbsup:

Teckniel
01-06-2004, 07:55 PM
i will do that will tru it in a couple of days :)

LuWeeWu
01-27-2004, 07:13 PM
He reminds me of Sid the Sloth. The fur is amazing

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.