PDA

View Full Version : DSA_Music_Video_Textures

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Nick_Hiatt
Im looking for some critique on some of my latest work.
Im currently working on a music video for a band called
Dead Star Assembly. (www.deadstarassembly.com)
I was given a rough model with no textures and my job
now is to remodel and texture the Space Station.
(The Space Station is used as a remote location to launch
nuclear missles upon its enemies on earth.)
There is going to be shots of the station that are all 3d -
and one shot where the camera pulls out of a live action
shot into a total 3d shot.
Please give me some critique on the textures and re-modeling.
The colors have to be a greenish tone.

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:33 PM
This is the Original Model and Textures before I recieved it from the Modeling Dept.

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:34 PM
This is my first pass at it -
with some remodeling and allot of texturing

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:35 PM
yet another shot -

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:36 PM
these are the fuel pods -

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:37 PM
antoher shot -

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:52 PM
here is a 640-

nick_hiatt
06-20-2002, 09:53 PM
yet another 640

leigh
06-21-2002, 07:43 AM
Well, these are looking very cool so far - I think the colours are great :thumbsup:

Firstly, on a modelling note, I'm not sure what method you're using, but if you are using sub-d, I would highly recommend increasing your rendering subpatch level - the model is looking a bit blocky in parts.

With regards to texturing - what it's really begging for now is some spec, and a teeeny bit of reflection - particularly on the gold bits - those are far too dull right now.
Also, as I've indicated on the image below, you need to do something with those little grey plates - they don't seem to have any thing else, besides their colour, which differentiate them from the rest of the surface. They need a different bump and spec, because they are obviously made out of a different metal to the surroundiing areas. The same goes for the seams with the bolts, and the area where they converge on the tip - they need more differentiating characteristics.

Another thing you have to keep in mind, is that since this is a music video, and is therefore for broadcast, you need to be careful about the size of your image maps - at the moment, it looks like they may be a little too small, which means that they will not look as good as they could when shown on a tv screen. Image maps that are too small often end up looking a bit too blocky/chunky. Try not to let them get any less that 1000x1000px, although 1500x1500px would be even better :) However, I may be mistaken as to your image sizes, as jpg compression often makes them look too small, whereas when you render to tga, they will look fine....

Are you going to be doing the light setup as well? Because with a space scene, your lighting is very important. You dodn't get shadows like this is space - and it might be beneficial to light your objects correctly before proceeding with the texturing. That way you can judge your textures more appropriately. Go to NASA's site or something, and get some references for lighting. What software are you using? If you can raytrace your lights (instead of shadow maps) that would be a good start ;) And if this is a space station, then it's surely in orbit of the planet, which means that it will get it good, strong lighting from both the planet, and the sun :)

nick_hiatt
06-21-2002, 06:25 PM
I AGREE IT NEED BUMPS AND SPEC
NOW THERE IS ONLY THE COLOR SHADER ON IT
THERE IS A DEFAULT SPECUALR AND NO BUMPS
IM ADDING THAT NOW -
THIS IS JUST THE COLOR APPROVAL FOR THE ART DIRECTOR
-
THANKS ALLOT I APPRECIATE YOUR CRITIQUE
NICK_HIATT
:airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.