PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5: Supervlieg : [Metroid : Samus in decay]

Supervlieg
01-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Here my entry for the Game comp. I wanted to do another character first but when this popped into my head I could not resist. I always wanted to do a version of Samus. Here she is in the original version.
http://gamingworldx.com/features/images/nes4.jpg

The backstory for the character is something like this.

Infected by a strange alien substance, Samus' suit overloads and turns on its host, causing Samus to be merged with her suit. Unable to control the force of the alien substance Samus and the suit become one and constantly have to struggle for control. The substance eats away at the suit and its host, causing Samus to become a living dead fused with a suit that provides energy to keep going. Slowly but surely the suit start to take over and the line between good and evil become increasingly blurred for the Samus being.

I wanted to do a more dark version of Samus. because I think Samus in Metroid Prime could do with a more darker, more grim look.

Here's a quick sketch I did. It's not a final design, it's more of a quick sketch to set the feeling and mood of the character.

http://www.bolman.nl/cgtalk/samus.gif

Dargon
01-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Isn't Samus a woman?

CameronC
01-04-2004, 12:26 AM
I love that sketch!!

SidewinderX143
01-04-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Dargon
Isn't Samus a woman?

yes.

Erotic Fetus
01-04-2004, 02:28 AM
that image you posted strays very far away from the original samus, i wouldnt know it was samus if you just drew it & showed it.

The one you drew looks male, & has claws!?

sorry for the early crit, but that concept is a bit ... off.

Renderman_XSI
01-04-2004, 02:45 AM
I like what you have so far! Its a very challenging character to redo..i'd to see how you show the interconnection between the different part of her suit. But yeah..it does look too buff to be a girl suit..make the waist smaller maybe.

EDIT: i think skinning would be the bigger issue..

Supervlieg
01-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I will take it into consideration.

She will definitaly become more female in the final design. Im working on the front and side views now. But remember that Samus will become more of a "it" then a "she"

Erotic Fetus: Think of the way this deviates from the original Samus in the same way a grease mario or a realistic gothic link deviated from the original version. This will be kind of a mutant Samus. Hence the clawlike extentions and the more buffness of the character.

I will post the front and side views later on.

Ebola0001
01-04-2004, 09:10 PM
just a thought and a minor oversight... her gun was on her right hand not her left as in you sketch.

other than that good idea... wasn't this the concept for the game on gameboy advance that came out with metroid prime?

Supervlieg
01-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Yes, the gun was on the wrong side. I changed it in the new sketches I'm working on.

The story is kinda like the gameboy metroid. Only this Samus is going to be more zombie/mutant like. And definitaly less colorfull.
This samus is inspired by Tetsuo II the body hammer. And in a lesser way the fly. I'd like to use that dark look for Samus.

wanzai
01-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by supervlieg
This samus is inspired by Tetsuo II the body hammer.

Heh, cool. Nice inspiration. Now that's some strange movie ;)

Supervlieg
01-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Im a bit stuck here. Id like to make the mutant/zombie metroid update, but it somehow feels like it deviates from the overall trend of this comp of making old skool pixelated characters into a 3d version.

It feels more like a doing a different version of an existing game character.

So I think I'll switch back to another character I was intially thinking of doing. This being the end boss of golden axe, Death adder. As seen below.

http://www.classicgaming.com/goldenaxe/Images2/25%20Majesty%20of%20Death%20Adder%20copia.jpg

I was toying around with the idea of doing the guy from splatterhouse. But I'll stick with death adder.

Littleberu
01-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Samus was mutated in Metroid Fusion (GBA). So I guess you could always stick with Samus if you plan to make her like in Fusion.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.