PDA

View Full Version : Passes based on layers help please

dmonk
06-20-2002, 08:15 PM
OK

I have this really huge seen and I want to render in layers.
Now if it's a churchand I have all the components arranged in layers already.

Lets say I wanted to render out and ambient-diffuse pass on just one layer

1: Will it render the shadows for that layer also?
2:should I make a matte pass for it if that particular layer is on top another layer and when composite one layer just sits on top of the other? (if that makes any sense:shrug: )

any tips I don't know if I'm clearly explianing myself.

doltman
06-21-2002, 12:03 PM
When you define a pass based on layers, it seems to make a partition for each layer. You can then go in to each partition and tell it not to render a certain partition(in this case it is also a layer). It will render an alpha channel for what ever elements you use. I have a very heavy scene now too. The guys at Soft seemed to suggest that using layers and passes can slow down a very large scene. I put all my objects into models instead of layers. Than I can hide or unhide the model null to speed up my scene. Although I have still been using passes. The Isolate Matte renders RGB info for the object selected.

Anyway. I hope that gives you some info. Working with very heavy scenes is a pain. My scene is over 30MB. And I have an older machine. I feel your pain.

dmonk
06-21-2002, 05:29 PM
I have this really huge "seen" and I want to render in layers.
I have this really huge "seen" and I want to render in layers.

Sorry brain fart.
anyway I'm going to try that out.
Thanks for the suggestion.

dmonk
06-22-2002, 06:55 PM
I think I will use and isolate map instead.
I'm trying it out now.

When I use based on layers pass, I lose all the shadow infromation from the objects that don't render and when it renders I only get casted shadows on the things that are visible if that makes any sense.

thanks though

doltman
06-24-2002, 12:15 PM
I have wondered about that before. I guess you would have to put some kind of override on the partition to turn off the primary rays of each object in the partition but not the secondary and shadows. It most likely wouldn't render any quicker but you would have shadows and reflections and have separate layers. I'll give that a try and see if I can get it to work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.