PDA

View Full Version : Transfering weights

bry
01-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I have the following problem:

I have a skinned and weighted lo-res character I want to export as FBX to Motion Builder. The problem is that I want to export it smoothed, but the FBX exporter discards all smooth nodes, even if it's not smooth proxy, if the smooth operation is listed in the history then it discards it when exporting to FBX.

If I delete History, I lose the skinning information and the painted weights. I tried exporting the weights, smoothing, deleting history and the importing them again, but it doesn't work.

I tried lots of diferent things, but I can't get the same character correctly weighted and smoothed without a smooth operation in the history.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Bruno

modi
01-04-2004, 02:45 AM
have u tried, smoothing, then exporting the weights, delete history and import the weights? If that dosen't work, try this. Smooth the model, download fixweight.mel from highend3d.com.
What this does it, it deletes the history and keeps the skin cluster. Its works most of the time for me. hope that helps.

Gnimmel
01-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Your problem is because after smoothing a skinned mesh, there are no weights on the extra vertex's that where created by the smooth node. The skincluster node is before the smooth in history causing this problem.

One possible solution would to duplicate the mesh (go to bind pose first) , smooth it then delete history on it. Now smoothbind the new smoothed mesh to the skeleton (it can be the same skeleton, you don't have to duplicate that). You should now be able to use the `Copy Skin Weights` function to get the weights from the old to the new.

I did a quick test on a old character I have and as long as you duplicate it in bindpose it seems to work fine.

Hope this helps,

Richard

bry
01-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys,

the Fixweight script worked well, thanks a lot.

Gnimmel: I had tried that but for some reason it didn't work, it could have been user error, though!

thanks,
Bruno

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.