PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat Model

m333x
01-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Im about to turn in this model into a company that does basic modeling in Maya.

Can you guys tell me anything that they would point out and say is inncorrect or bad method? Im pretty new on modeling.

http://home.comcast.net/~mex/pian2.jpg

m333x
01-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Jesus guys! 18 view and nothing, is it good, fair, or bad?!:buttrock:

mhovland
01-03-2004, 01:36 PM
What kind of a critique are you looking for?

The model looks OK, but you have some problem areas. Mainly in the knees, and feet. You have stray verts on the tops of the feet that don't need to be there, and you will need to add geometry to the knees to accommodate the bending.

Thats the best I can do without beter images of the model.

m333x
01-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Thats exactly the kind of critique I was looking for, thanks alot for the review mhovland.

Rock on the mel!:buttrock:
Ps: Just got Mk5

mhovland
01-05-2004, 12:26 PM
As a complete side note, I can tell you that the models used for Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance were much higher poly than the one you are building.

Somewhere in the 3 - 4 thousand range, more or less.

m333x
01-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Yea I know, I just wanted to make the model more like the ones in Mortal Kombat 4. I dont think im good enough yet to make one that of MK:DA..

That's a good game though I just got it for christmas. They did the whole game in Maya, the cd has a real awsome "Making of Mortal Kombat" video on it.

Stroker
01-06-2004, 02:07 PM
If you are going to be animating him, it looks like you will have deformation problems in the lower abs and the hips.

I highly recommend doing a mock rig on occassion to test the deformation. Play with the placement of the joints and envelopes and things. Get to know how your mesh and rig interact. If you can't get the low poly to deform well, chances are you will have a harder time with the higher poly version.

m333x
01-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Haha no way im not going to animate him anytime soon, but thanks for the tips I will use them when I do! :D

That was my first shot at modeling any type of human form :shrug: I seen a box modeling video and im probably going to model my next charactor using that method.

Thanks again Stroker

JohnNangle
01-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey m333x,

Good job on your first humanoid model, here's a few tips:

1) I'd rotate the hand in 90 degrees, I can't tell for sure from the model but it looks like he's standing with his palms out but that's not being reflected in the elbow.

2) As you'll rarely be making a character model that isn't meant to be animated (low poly anyways) you should definitely think about that while modeling. A tip that has helped me out is to predispose your character's joints to the way they should bend. What I mean is, give him some bend in the knees and elbows, and make his bind pose (which is what you're creating) a bit more relaxed.

3) Also, you'll want to model him with the arms outstretched. A lot of people put the arms at a hard 90 degree angle to the body, but I prefer a 45 degree angle, moving the hand closer to the thigh. It's up to you and the demands that the animation is going to put on your model. The reason for all this is again rigging and animation.

4) The final tip I have is don't triangulate your model until after you've textured it. Some tri's are essential while modelling and seeing how the character will move-that's ok, but by triangulating all the polys you've almost doubled the amount of faces you need to select to map him. This is just a work flow note, it won't really affect the outcome of your textures or maps it'll just slow the process down.

Hope these help,

John

m333x
01-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks alot for all the tips man and your time in helping me out. I appercaite it boat loads :scream:

All your tips are going to be used on my next character model.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.