PDA

View Full Version : PC to PS2 porting problem: Cost?

AgentX
01-03-2004, 05:47 AM
Hey all. 2 programmers and I are working on a game for a company. The desire is to have the game on a PS2 format, however we are making it for PC right now. I am hoping some of you might have the answer to my question.

Are there people/companies, that you can hire to port PC to PS2?
-if so, do you know of any, and rough cost/time?

This is very important to find this out now. My lead programmer does not know how to code for PS2, and our time frame is very limited, meaning we don't have time for him to learn.

If anyone has information regarding this I would be extremely grateful! Thanks alot.

-Jon

JesseDavis
01-03-2004, 07:48 AM
wrong forum

spm
01-03-2004, 03:27 PM
ah, the classic issue of not having a dev-kit?

it all depends on how your project is funded. maybe the publisher has a dev-kit you can rent. if not, you have to rent one from sony i guess.

to buy one is not even to think of for a small team... that is if youre not well funded :)

for info on HOW you port a game to the PS2 i dont have any advice. i guess you get support when you rent a dev-kit.

Dargon
01-03-2004, 03:59 PM
There are companies who can and will do this but, for the most part, it'll be up to your company to convince them it would be worth taking on the project.

I doubt there are any companies that would just do the service for a flat fee, most would probably want a cut of the profit, and wouldn't take on the project unless they believed there could be some.

One thing that would tip the scale is how difficult it would be. If you want to port to the PS2, you should be making the game with the PS2's limitations in mind. If you use far more polys, or higher texture sizes, or more effects than can be handled by the PS2, then they would have to do a lot of work to do to make it work, and therefore it would be very expensive.

If you're serious about it, I'd recommend going to some of the console developers in your area, and testing the waters, before you get too far in your devepment cycle.

You should also get as much information as possible as to the structures and capabilities of the PS2, as to make the port as painless as possible.

Artician
01-03-2004, 10:53 PM
You can contract that as a project to a group of independant programmers. You could find more info on gamasutra.com, there is a large listing of independant art, music and coding studios that hire out their skills for projects just like this.

However as a previous post said, you would need to keep in mind the limitations of a PS2 port while developing your PC version, and more than likely a true port to the PS2 would require your development team, (at the very least yourself (the artist)) to work very closely with the group who is porting your product. They will most certainly need you close at hand to for editing or textures and geometry to fit the new hardware.

Good luck with your project.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.