PDA

View Full Version : Dubai panorama photo

Bob27
01-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Recently I was in Dubai and I have made this panoramic photo
out of 4 photos I took there from the Dubai port.

http://www.studioexistence.com/ezafat/dubai.htm

I have made this in photoshop, but this is not the final version.
How is it so far?What do you suggest for improvement?
I appreciate your technical comments.

BS

EricChadwick
01-02-2004, 02:28 PM
That's neat. A few suggestions...

1. Get rid of or change the canvas effect. It is very tiled, and distracting. I would prefer to see it as a photograph instead of as a painting.

2. The seams are still a bit obvious.
The seam nearest the left side is very obvious because the water line is very different. Move the far-left image down to match it, and the horizon there is also at a slight angle, not flat, you need to rotate that image CCW a little.
The transitions between images are very fuzzy on the edges, not as sharp as the middles of the images... I suggest using a sharper-edged painting tool, and to be careful to match features between two photos.
Water is different in color and detail from image to image. Use the clone tool some more, being careful to use a hard-edged brush to avoid blurriness.

3. Sky at far right shows some splotches of brown that look like careless clone stamping. Change your source location frequently to avoid this.

Hope that helps. It can be difficult to do this kind of work, but learning will pay off if you keep at it.

Bob27
01-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks Posm for your thorough reply,
I will sure consider all points you said in remaking it and
I will have you check it .
Here are 2 other pages of photos in my site I would like you
to see and know if you have any comments on them:

http://www.studioexistence.com/Sections/Photography/winterpics01/winterpics01.html

http://www.studioexistence.com/sections/photography/winterpics02/winterpics02.html

halo
01-03-2004, 03:31 PM
if it were me i'd aim to make the images more consistant across the images. ie make the water the same or change more subtly, make the sky the same and lose those repeats and make the horizon the same hieght.

EricChadwick
01-05-2004, 01:42 PM
My favorite photo is "snowy sidewalk." Nice composition, and no "canvas" filter. The third photo on page 1 has a weird bit of clouds, looks like they were painted in.

If I want to correct the exposure in over-bright areas, like the sky, I try to blend the edges in a more soft way. One way i like to do this is to copy the image, paste it into an alpha channel, convert it to a selection, then add a Levels Adjustment Layer (automatically uses the selection as a mask). I adjust the Levels settings to bring the bright areas down a little. Once I've set the Levels settings, then I like to use Ctrl-L to adjust Levels on the mask itself, giving it more contrast, so it only affects the brightest parts, and not the mid-tone areas. Also I like to use Gaussian Blur on the mask, to soften the mask, hide the edges a bit. This is one quick way to fix some over-exposure. Just use it lightly, it is very easy to over-do it. Hope that makes sense.

Bob27
03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Finally I got time to edit the Dubai panorama photo.
Posm, I tried to apply your useful advices in remaking the
photo, out of 4 photos I had and here is the one near the final version:

the one at the bottom of the page: the top one is the original which I have edited.

http://www.studioexistence.com/ezafat/dubai.htm

Do you see any flaw in it ?
where should it be fixed?
what about the lighting ? I got rid of the canvas effect but isn't
the original version kind of livelier than this one? any filter should i
use?

halo
03-23-2004, 09:55 PM
heres my comments

1) too many birds duplicated from the same one....obvious

2) try and fake some reflecions of the buildings in the centre section near the water's edge like the ones left...use wave filter on one axis...may help with motion blur as well

3) try to keep your cutting out consistant...some buildings look natural against the sky, others look too sharp (the left edge of the big blue one), others look blurry on the edge

when your comping stuff like water together, dont use a heavy feathered edge, you get overlap which loses detail...try and use a small hard edge brush and spend time "weaving" the 2 images together.

EricChadwick
03-23-2004, 11:01 PM
I like it a lot, quite an improvement!

I agree with halo's comments.

About using filters... it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want it to look more like a painting than a photo, then you can add filters. Personally, I think the less filters the better... I like to see the real thing. Especially since I've never been to Dubai... it looks like a fascinating place.

Thanks for sharing this.

Bob27
03-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks a lot. I am glad you liked it. Yes, Dubai is a fascinating place, mid-oriental charming ambience mixed with modern architecture ...
Halo, i will try to follow what you said.
By the way , when it is done I plan to make a water color paint of it and that done I will post it in the 2d finished works if it turns out
good.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.