PDA

View Full Version : rotation order , which one to use

modi
01-02-2004, 05:20 AM
I was wondering whats the best rotation order u guys use to avoid gimbals etc. Do you use the maya default xyz?
Or do u use different rotation orders for the root, wrist , spine etc. thanks.

dwalden74
01-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Thereīs no way that one rotation order could be "the best" solution in every case. Different controls will require different types of movements in different situations. In my default setups, spine cntrls have a rotation order of zxy - feet have the same - while fk upper arm has yzx. Additionally, these are rot order values (in most cases) will be dependant on the way your joints are oriented - in my case the X points down the joint. On top of that, it is certainly possible that different situations will require different rotation orders - for example, if your character is doing insane somersaults then you might want to opt for yzx on the hip or COG control.

So, itīs all based on the specific needs of the character. Be careful of changing the rotate order on a rigged character - this could lead to problems. Usually if you need to change the rotate order, for example on the wrist, much of the setup on the arm will have to be changed to accomodate this (ie, the character may need to be re-rigged).

Hope this helps!

:beer:
David

jadamburke
01-04-2004, 07:37 AM
generally you should look at each joint however it is oriented and prioritize the three axis acording to likelyhood of being rotated 90 or more degrees while animating.

roation order goes (secondary axis, terciary axis, primary axis)

by setting your least usable axis to the middle of the rotation order you limit the chance of getting gimbal lock.

davidsloss
01-07-2004, 12:13 AM
jadamburke-- Is that right? I'd understood it to work like this:

Rotation order = xyz

In this case, z would be evaluated 1st, y 2nd and x last.

So you would put the 'least used axis' at the start of the rotation order.

???

David

macaroniKazoo
01-07-2004, 04:23 AM
the best way to work out which rotation order suits, is to change the rotate tool to gimbal mode, and rotate each axis one at a time, to see what happens.

you'll find that one of the axes doesn't change the alignment of the others, one axis rotates all axes, and the other axis collapses when rotated.

once you do that, its pretty easy to step through the different rotation orders to see which setting works best for a particular control. once you've done it a couple of times, it becomes pretty easy. :)

jadamburke
01-09-2004, 06:31 AM
david you're right about the order in which rotation values are evaluated.

My list was of priority of the NEED to rotate. Gimbal lock will only occur when you rotate the MIDDLE axis 90 degrees. This is why I said it is the terciary axis, because its the one you are least likely to want to rotate.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.