PDA

View Full Version : Color shift while printing

Northchild
01-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty with printing this .jpg photograph that my stepmother has taken. I'm printing from Photoshop 7 (PC) to a clean Canon i850 with full ink carts on HP glossy 44lb paper.

The printed leaves and bird nest seem just like they are on my Samsung 191T monitor, but the flowers have shifted from a bluish violet to almost magenta. I use Adobe Gamma to make *very* small adjustments to my monitor on startup, but other than that everything's factory.

This happens on more than one computer. Same thing happens on my mum-in-law's G4, as well as on my second PC.

When I first opened the .jpg, I saved it as a .psd in CMYK mode. Other than that, no changes that I've made seem to help. Any advice that might help to make the flowers purple is greatly appreciated. :)

halo
01-02-2004, 12:49 PM
well, perhaps there are some canned display profiles that will help make your pshop preview better.

Just having a monitor and gamma doesnt mean you'll have a cailbrated setup, so you can expect colours to be wander from your display, especially if your working in CYMK, as you may not be displaying colours that cymk can even reproduce.

nervouselk
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
I would still think it is to do with the printer. Try cleaning the heads, replace the carts again or try a different printer. You could do a block colour test to see if the colours are comming out correctly. I have had a similar problem and it has come down to the ink running out. Eg almost all the red gone.

Northchild
01-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the reply halo. This seems like it would be a fairly basic violet color that should show up on screen and in print. I checked some of the canned profiles like you had mentioned, but nothing seems to help so far, and, as far as I can tell from the view gamut indicators, nothing in the image is listed as "out of gamut" for printing. I'm baffled because the flowers on the displays look quite different from the printouts on the three systems I've printed this image from.

Like I said, I'm no photo expert. Stuff that I design from scratch always prints out perfectly. Maybe it's something small that I'm missing. I had considered that the JPG image just doesn't have enough data to make the printout look like the image onscreen, but I'm still at square one. :shrug:

Link to image: http://www.northchild.com/cgtalk/purple%20flowers%2001.jpg

Northchild
01-02-2004, 02:53 PM
@nervouselk:

Changed the ink for all reservoirs yesterday. This inkjet printer is only a couple of months old, but I'll try cleaning it again. This problem occurs on three different systems with three different printers (one laser, two inkjets) - pretty much identical print output with the same color shift.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

EricChadwick
01-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Calibrating monitors and printers is very difficult. There are systems out there that sell for thousands of $$ to accomplish this, they put a suction-cup kind of thing on the monitor, hook it up to the printer, and carefully adjust both ends to match. Anyhow, it's painful.

As an option I would suggest making a good calibration image with lots of colors and tones in it, printing it out, then adjusting your monitor to match. You need a monitor with separate R/G/B controls in its HUD to do a decent job.

The monitor colors also shift as the monitor warms up, so make any adjustments after an hour or so of use.

Anyhow a couple tips.

halo
01-02-2004, 07:10 PM
thanks for posting the image, that helps.

Certainly here after a quick conversion from your RGB to CYMK there is a definate flattening of the violet. Not too dramatic, but its present. It particularly knocks the brightness of the violet. (the green dies a little as well) Now the question is wether your seeing it as it should be seen.

That image has an sRGB profile, when you open it in Pshop, does it ask you any questions about profiles and is sRGB your default RGB working space?

My guess is that your looking at it on systems that perhaps aren't either calibrated or pehaps are displaying RGB too vibrantly. This can occur if profiles are ignored or stripped as if you have it set up to do this pshop assumes its set preference profile and consequently displays the colours in a manner you may not be used to.

One thing that may be worth a go is priniting from RGB instead of CYMK. I know that slightly sounds sqewiff, but recent inkjet printers cheat colours to match RGB gamut better (often using 6 or more inks)....and lasers now have hardware that makes an optimum conversion on the fly between RGB and CYMK...this is because the recent thought is that its easier to bend RGB to a target CYMK rather than a CYMK file which may not "bend" too well without damage.

If your output is consistant then you can always just cheat it one way or another.

In PS, you should have your RGB profile as either Apple RGB, Adobe 1998 RGB, colourmatch RGB or sRGB...sRGB closely matches how images look on the web...these 4 are device independant, so if your screen is setup well, they will look the same as on another well setup screen.
DONT use monitorRGB as your RGB profile, thats a bad move.

Your CYMK profile should be your output device canned profile (as long as its a cymk profile...check with the manufacturer)....if you dont have one then use one of the default CYMK profiles that suit your output best. (i personally use PS 4 CYMK defaults as they are the closest to CYMK repro print output in the UK in my opinion)
This is however dependent on a calibrated monitor, monitor profiles are available, but monitors vary between screens even of the same make and model, so dont bank on them.

Calibratration is a bitch, and its only with trial/error, a good understanding of colour theory that you can make progress. Just for the record, i dont even agree with my magic eye calibrator ( i overide some of its settings) and i rarely found Adobe's/apples steps matched my output either, so i used to tweak those as well.

Northchild
01-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Just wanted to thank you again for your help. Using the 1998 color profile along with printing the RGB image without converting it seems to have helped. It's still a little counterintuitive for me, but what the hey. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.