PDA

View Full Version : Apology to the LW community

HIM (HowardM)
01-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Happy New Year everyone.

I want to sincerely apologize for my harsh words and behavior regarding last weeks LW delay.
I snapped after feeling betrayed by Newtek.
The grinch got the best of me. :blush:

I wish to continue to be a part of this wonderful community and promise you will only see constructive, well thought out posts from now on. All critiques will be discussed professionally with the right people at Newtek.

Please allow me to rectify myself by showing only positive behavior in 2004!

Thanks and have a great 2004!
:)

fez
01-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Happy New Year Howard! I like to think of it as an official fresh start. I was frustrated with Newtek too. Probably not as frustrated as you :), but I think some frustration is justified given the "fourth quarter" bs Newtek threw at our inboxes.

js33
01-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Yeah Howard I feel as you do although not quite to the snapping point. I have other things to worry about besides NT but I agree that they should have tried to meet their release date.

Well all we can do is hope for a speedy release now and get back to animating.

Cheers,
JS

LNT
01-02-2004, 08:42 AM
I dont think anyone including Newtek is perfectly happy with any upgrade release but all things considered lightwave8 looks to be a solid and in some areas quite powerful upgrade

the dynamics and general animation boost features might not matter all that much to non-animating people but it sure does justify the upgrade price and ,akes lightwave as a package more rounded and complete

frankly I havent seen other packages users lash out on their respective developers the way it happens here and in my opinion it is some kind of community abuse

good to see you changed your approach to a more constructive one Howard :thumbsup:

telamon
01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
nice to see you again Howard. I understand why you were so sad of NT and it has been interesting to see someone thinking differently and presenting arguments coming out from the collective purse.

I am afraid... HIM sounds very close to CIM http://forum4u.speed-hebergement.com/forum/coolforum_0_6_5_beta_php3/smileys/08mal08.gif

Tesselator
01-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Yup! Welcome back HowardM.

And I also apologise if anything I said seemed like I was calling
you out. It wasn't my intention!

Happy 2004 man!

Chewey
01-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Good luck! Why was it necessary to return/reappear under a different screen name?

Is this the "real" slim HM?
:scream:

aurora
01-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Hey man, you never needed to change your screen name. I don't think anybody really lost any respect for you as a major contributor to this forum or the LW community in large. And its not like you go out to other forums to bash LW's dev like others, (cough - cim- cough).
frankly I havent seen other packages users lash out on their respective developers the way it happens here
I believe we get like this because of all the things, forums, studies, communities, blah, blah, I get involved in I have never seen a group of people more passionate and devoted to a single thing, outside of religion that is, then LW users are to LW.

HowardM
01-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Hehe Thanks for the welcome back!
The temp name was used when I was banned the past few days.
Ironic as HIM seems like CIM, they are my actual initials (scary eh?...dunno if Im god or the antichrist or both!)
Originally posted by aurora
I have never seen a group of people more passionate and devoted to a single thing, outside of religion that is, then LW users are to LW.
And on the seventh day God hit the render button!

-some cartoonist back in the early 90's

Zarathustra
01-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh, I missed your rants. Too bad.

As for mad, I paid for 8 back in June or July(the original DFX+ deal)!
I'm also in the middle of a few projects where I could immediately make use of some of the new features (like that sewing dynamic). Of course once they're over, 8 will come out.

You're not alone in your anger/frustration, brother. Besides, if being pissed off and letting it out means banishment from the community then a lot of us would have been gone a long time ago.

HowardM
01-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Well I was pretty harsh and not professional, so from now on I will only spew forth constructive criticism!...or at least be civil with my rants....

CTRL+X
01-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Got Spanked didnt ya?

yea I read your rants,,,, nothing too out of line, but I guess some here have a low threshold for such honest opinions and have a real fear of words.

Adios

Flashfire
01-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by CTRL+X
...I guess some here have a low threshold for such honest opinions and have a real fear of words... That's the truth the world over my man... not limited to this place only. The funniest thing of it is... most people who are offended by the words, likely feel the same way themselves and are either too simple to put words to their emotions or too afraid to open their mouths at all. Its much easier to wait for another to do it and then jump on the castration bandwagon. But yeah... 'nuff said.

Nemoid
01-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Apologies accepted here. :)
harsh behaviour is ALWAYS unuseful.
great waste of time and energy.
and, believe me, I know exactly everithing about
this

You are right about many things, about Lw
but this was not a valid reason to justify umpoliteness.

Great to hear your good intentions for 2004!! :scream:

So, havew a nice time with Lw rockin'community!! :buttrock:
and say Ciao to your dog from Nemoid

Locutus
01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey welcome back. I was gone for a week too and only got to catch a little of your rants.
No big deal, though. I don't think you truly offended anyone here to point of never again being a part of the community. Hey, everybody's got to let off some steam sometimes, even if it means getting your hand slapped. Besides, your truthfulness can be refreshing.

Anyway, no harm no foul.
:thumbsup:

willog
01-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Hey np .... we all rant at times and often justifiably.

I guess you feel like you've had your arse kicked over this but I just hope that Newtek has also got a big boot up the arse due to thier approach to the premature promotion of the update.

Anyways we are all looking forward to the new stuff and lets all wish NT some new year luck in getting it out for us

Mwai Kasamale
01-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey YOU!!! HowardM yeah YOU!!!!

Its about F$%^&$g (time!!!! I for one accept your DAMN apology whole F&^%ing heartedly. Its bloddy wonderfull that you feel the need to F#%^ing express this!!!! Its Bloddy GREAT to have you back in 0 F%^$#@g 4!!! Rant as F%^&*#g much as you want!!!! Just do this politely. Savvy!!!!:D

Cheers brother happy new year.:beer:

archiea
01-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by CTRL+X
Got Spanked didnt ya?

yea I read your rants,,,, nothing too out of line, but I guess some here have a low threshold for such honest opinions and have a real fear of words.

Adios

That does bother me a bit, the fact that Howard was banned... Like I said, his posts were a bit on the emotional side, but there were valid points... Seems a bit sheepish that if someone had an opinion thats consistantly not too popular or is a bit abrasive, that the police come out.

HowardM
01-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Well my points are valid, but they are right that I should be more professional and not speculate about Proton, Chuck or the rest of NT like I did. I did say some rather harsh things!
:blush:
At least my post got some people thinking about issues and hopefully we will see a great 8+!
They just banned me for a few days so things could settle down.
Its all good now. :)

iratethemad
01-04-2004, 12:29 AM
OMG my favorite program is being delayed and my favorite game is being delayed Unreal Tournament 2004 the antisipation is killing me :cry:

i geuss good things some to those who wait.

So i'll jump up and down untill their released :bounce:

CG.p
01-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by archiea
That does bother me a bit, the fact that Howard was banned... Like I said, his posts were a bit on the emotional side, but there were valid points... Seems a bit sheepish that if someone had an opinion thats consistantly not too popular or is a bit abrasive, that the police come out.

There were a few personal attacks in there that COULD have been left out. But at the same time were the people that attacked Howard banned for a few days too?

Pi3141
01-04-2004, 03:50 AM
Hey no worries howard. I too jumped at you so I also apologise.

:beer:

Jonathan
01-04-2004, 04:51 AM
That was an interesting thread. I enjoyed reading it too, not that I'm into chaos, anarchy and all of that mumbo jumbo. I felt you HowardM and I still feel you. I don't think you owe anyone an apology but that's your choice and making peace with others is not a bad thing..

As for software, it's never been good practice to put your money down in advance. Everyone remember MetaCreations when they released Carrara 1.0. They put out all of this hype, released the program then stopped supporting it and went under or went into e-commerce or something right after they snatched everyone's money. The users were left with the buggiest peace of shit in 3D and had no support for it either. That was awful and one of the most flagrant rippoffs in 3D software.

leigh
01-04-2004, 05:45 AM
I'd like to clarify something here.

Howard was not the only individual who was contacted privately regarding insulting posts in the thread. And by "insulting posts" I don't mean the comments about LightWave, I'm talking about personal insults, which I posted a number of warnings about in the thread itself before it got closed.

Howard was banned from the site not because of his opinions about any LightWave issues (frankly I couldn't care less about his comments in that regard), but because of personal comments that he made about William Vaughn and Chuck Baker. Any user on CGTalk making any insulting remarks about any other CGTalk user is banned because it is a violation of the courtesy policy that we enforce here on CGTalk.

We do not make special allowances and rules for the LightWave forum, as some of you seem to think. If users make such comments on any of the other forums here, we do the same.

If anyone has any questions or comments they would like to make regarding the way that we moderate CGTalk, please feel free to contact me instead of making snide remarks on the forum.

And in case anyone is thinking that we made Howard post this apology, we didn't. He did entirely of his own volition.

Thanks.

CG.p
01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
That is why I asked....

"asked" not "accused". :thumbsup:

Zarathustra
01-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Any user on CGTalk making any insulting remarks about any other CGTalk user is banned

Well, that sounds nice. I just think there are subtle ways you can needle someone and that gets through the filters. Obviously if you just blatantly fire off at someone the alarms go off. Neither should be tolerated, but the latter usually is more deserved of punishment.

I also think comments/questions about forum policies will ALWAYS be posed publicly rather then privately to garner public interest and support so the issue(s) can't be easily swept under the rug.

peanut
01-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I can understand your frustation with Lightwave, i just discovered last night that LW didnt handle N-gons with Subpatches and i fell like a complete waste when i cant pick edges. I dont care if Lw 8 takes 2 more years to be made.

Just fix it :D

rock
01-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Quite a few number of plugins (like spin quads and all those other cool-sounding plugins) exist because LW does not have edges. And the more we learn more of the plugin parameters, the more we pat ourselves in the back, saying how great LW modeler is. Consequently, Newtek starts to pat themselves in the back, saying how great and world-class modeler it is, forgot that Modo, Maya, and Cinema4D has pretty much catch up in the modeling arena.

HowardM
01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
HAH! :) Karma!
Ok, guys please take the bickering outside?
This is an apology thread, not the rekindling of LW bashing!

Rei Ayanami
01-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Congrats Howard, on havving the balls to appologise, although i think a few ppl are even starting to fogive CIM... but thats not the point!

I want other people to see that this is how proffesional people behave, they know when they are wrong and they appologise. something this board needs a little more of sometimes.

HowardM
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, it seems like the past year alot of regulars who act professional have left the forum...

whew, after realizing what a pain I was, and being more aware now, I have to give kudos, props, etc to Chuck and William!
there are just too many forums, msg boards, etc that they have to constantly keep track of, watching and defending against rants and naysayers!

Poor guys! I am SO sorry for contributing to your hell!

HowardM
01-06-2004, 02:56 PM
:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.