PDA

View Full Version : best approach for hair and fur

tredeger
12-31-2003, 08:34 PM
I hope this isn't a redundant thread but I've searched for info on hair and fur and it seems somewhat scattered and app specific. I'm just wondering if there is any concensus on the best approach to achieving photorealistic hair and fur. I'm looking for a kind of rough, matted coat on a donkey head.

I know maya does fur, xsi does hair and LW has some impressive plug-ins, but what are the considerations for each? I'd like a critical objective discussion of the various options without starting a flame war please. If this already exists in a thread I missed, please point me in the right direction. Thanks and happy new year!

Antonbomb22
12-31-2003, 09:15 PM
well the best idea is just your programs hair/fur tools, such as maya and also other 3rd part applications. If you talking about texturing hair, well that seems nearly impossibly in my mind, since hair is usally 3d not made 2d and applied to 3d unless u modeled the hair in polygons and used texturs to make it looks like it was hair but thats just me lol:D

jussing
02-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Check dis out:

Real-time fur over arbitrary surfaces (http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/proj/fur/)

...it looks really good!

- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.