PDA

View Full Version : critics plz

Vipes
12-31-2003, 09:26 AM
hey everybody!
I need your help. I made my first online portfolio but before I put it online I need you guys to take a look at it and maybe give some tips. Anything is welcome just don't be too hard on me :)
btw, it's not done yet I'll be adding some effects in flash
here's the link
http://cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~viper87/cg.jpg
my host is so weird, you'll have to copy the link and paste it
in your browser, sorry for the trouble.

EricChadwick
01-02-2004, 02:47 PM
What kind of work are you looking for? I would tailor your portfolio to that particular discipline. A Flash designer could have very different needs/goals than an illustrator.

I have interviewed many artists for employment at a game development company, so I've seen a lot of gallery sites.

My impressions:
1) The text is very small. Hard to read. Make it at least the size of CGTalk's thread text. And make sure it isn't too drab like the text at upper right, the contrast is too low, hard to see.
2) Not sure where to click to see your artwork. Upper left? Lower bar? Make sure it is absolutely obvious. As an interviewer, my time is precious, don't annoy me. That may sound like an asshole talking, but interviewers have a lot of other jobs to do, so I'm just being painfully honest with you. I want to see your artwork first, then I want to see your resume, then I want to see your contact info. The less fluff in the way of these goals, the better your impression on us.
3) Get rid of any sounds on your site. Without exception, website sound is always annoying to the interviewer. Looks like you may have some radio on there. Also the radio text takes my eye away from the meat of your site, I don't want to read about someone else's radio site, I want to learn about you. My time was wasted looking at that text.

Here's a site I saw recently that I liked. Very simple and straightforward, everything's right there. Only thing missing is the resume.
http://www.jamiefield.com

Hope that helps.

kraal
01-05-2004, 01:33 AM
tried but cant get in...... no matter what your site looks like you need a reliable host so i would concider that your first step cause no one would take you seriously if it comes across that you dont even want to invest in your own promotion so what exactly can they expect you to do for thier company

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.