PDA

View Full Version : El Zombo!, Francis001 (2D)

francis001
12-31-2003, 06:14 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/40859/el_zombo_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/40859/el_zombo.jpg)

This is a pin up I did for Dave Wilkins' forthcoming creator owned comic from Dark Horse. It was painted with Photoshop 7.0 over a period of a week or so.

picksel
12-31-2003, 06:40 AM
Not bad, I like the ambiance! good color! but it would not be said that the girl sat on her shoulder!
good work!:applause:

shaangfx
12-31-2003, 06:42 AM
hello !

wow another great work from teamgt ! cool..:beer:

brasshorse
12-31-2003, 05:38 PM
Very very cool, Francis.

I like the really illustrative paintings you've been doing lately. The lighting's always dramatic and strong, and your style is nicely varied as usual.

The detail on the big-ass wrestler guy is great. His right leg (left side of the image) looks a bit awkward around the ankle, but it's barely worth mentioning. The girl's face and leg positioning could probably use a slight tweak, too.

Anyhow, hard to find crits with your work. Keep posting :)

-a

cerreto
12-31-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey

been a while sense ivee seen your work looking better than ever !

regards
Trav

lildragon
12-31-2003, 10:23 PM
Masterful, the only one area that seems flat is the underwear, the bulge so to speak. Nice work as usual.

[Plugged]

salud!

frogchild
12-31-2003, 10:33 PM
It's nice to see wider diversity in comic pin ups these days. I'm all for the classic pen and ink work, but somenew stuff like this beautiful pieces is great for rocking the boat.

When does the comic hit the stands?

cris castro
12-31-2003, 10:40 PM
beautifull man!great!

proton
12-31-2003, 11:06 PM
Simply Amazing. Over a weeks time...SO how many hours would you say that took...would take me 2 weeks to do it and it wouldn't look half as good :)

Boondock Saint
12-31-2003, 11:08 PM
i think the total image is really sweet. although i have a few nitpicks with it. the girl's positioning just kind of looks like she was placed on his shoulder, and is sort of floating there. i agree with brass on that one. that is the biggest thing that bugs me. other than that i think the only thing wrong is theres no smoke coming from the cigar. overall great exaggerated pose and mood though.
peace,
ed

iDio is Me
12-31-2003, 11:18 PM
Wow, I really like that.

A nice expression on both of their faces, though the girl looks like one of my friends in a peculiar way.:shrug:

mental
12-31-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
Masterful, the only one area that seems flat is the underwear, the bulge so to speak.http://mywebpage.netscape.com/SoulJack3r/uhh.gif

...slowly backs away from lildragon...

Garma
12-31-2003, 11:52 PM
nice work on the girl. I'm not a too big fan of the guy, but the girl is nice done

Riddick
01-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by tekila
Not bad, I like the ambiance! good color! but it would not be said that the girl sat on her shoulder!
good work!:applause:
All the same!
But the picture look definitely cooooool!
Maybe you should give to the girl, a more exciting style!;) :p

Izu
01-01-2004, 12:56 AM
girl ?.....thought it was a boy, i mean from the look of almost everything except the chin on the "girl"....still cool...

but one thing kinda bothers me....the shadow that´s cast on the big guys body..from the "girl" seams to be off in places..i mean you would think that there was more shadow on him....it just looks like she´s floating infront of him and not sitting on him..

if u still have time to edit it a lil i would really try n work in a better shadow..especially at his "cleavage" area and his face...other then that....nice work...

igorstshirts
01-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Your color work is amazing. I love the stark cold light from the upper left and the contrasting warmth from the right... Emphasizes the upper body volume well. I love how he is giving us the finger indirectly. I think the cigar could heve been a little bigger though.:surprised

DoLeeP
01-01-2004, 02:17 AM
:thumbsup:

superlayer
01-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Wow thats really cool.

jrwells
01-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Any idea where I can get one of those cigars?

monsitj
01-01-2004, 05:01 AM
greatwork!! love that girl!:)

jtk77
01-01-2004, 09:46 AM
I like the idea a lot. THe style and action is wonderful.
I think however, the girl for some reason almost seems super-imposed rather than really in the scene.
Not sure if this is diliberate since I am not familiar with the characters, but her body seems a little teenage boyish.
Kinda manish angles even for a toyboy-style young girl.
Her face and expresstion however, is perfect!
Overall is a great dynamic peice.

Matt
01-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Lucha Libre is too trendy. There's a cartoon on Fox Kids about it, and there are tons of "Obey Giant" style shirts with Lucha Libre stars. :\

Good painting though.

elnady
01-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Fantastik job:love:

francis001
01-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the comments and crits! It was helpful, and looking back I agree that the girl seems to float. I think I will be going back to work on that. Also, thanks Tito for the front page exposure!

frogchild, I am not sure exactly when it is coming out. I believe it is sometime in early to mid 2004. Dave Wilkins' comic art looks great, a mix between Tex Avery cartoon style and sort of surreal painterly stuff.

proton - I wasn't paying close attention to how much time I spent, but I would estimate maybe 10-12 hours.

The girl is supposed to be around ten years old. I didn't want to make her too feminine and make her seem older. I don't have any kids and don't seem to hang around kids too much, so I might not have exactly hit the mark...

Matt, sorry about that - she is a wrestling fan, and so would be in that market you're talking about.

Thank you all again for your comments!

sinthetic
01-01-2004, 06:40 PM
"the girl's positioning just kind of looks like she was placed on his shoulder, and is sort of floating there"

I agree here, if there were still time, going back and making the girl look more like she is sitting and not floating would really tighten this image up.

Great use of color and ambient feel all around, great work!

arliss
01-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Great Job!

I would agree with the positioning of the girl on the shoulder- did you render the figures on seperate layers?? It would do the image justice to go back and add some blending in that area

Also I have to ask about the choice of the graveyard for the background- its kind of bland and distracts from the lucha libre theme-

other than that awsome man ;)

phoenix
01-02-2004, 04:51 AM
very impresive...very heroic

farhquad
01-02-2004, 09:05 AM
wooow.

I don't know how long has this comic book exists but the big character is very similar to Paco Zarco's Peritonitis.

He is a comic artist from Valencia, where I come from. If I can I'll post an image of that character for you to say if they are or aren't very similar, not only in design but in Style of drawing etc...

Will look in the net for an image.

Between very good job.

farhquad
01-02-2004, 09:25 AM
I found one not very good one, but he isn't that famous :)

lulaassassina
01-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Is that a joint?

jtk77
01-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Ah, the girl was intended to be ten. I see. Her face to me makes her look like an older teen toyboy kinda girl.
The only reason I say that she doesn't seem to be fem enough is not neccesarly her lack of curves but the fact that at that angle her shoulders appear to be broader than her hips. Even at age ten I don't beleive in a girl that would be the case. They would be even and perhaps a hint of growth to come. Not sure.
It could be the angle as well.
I failed to comment on this before, but the guys face is great man, I love expressive faces on characters and both the girl and the man really show emotion. Good job again.

Book
01-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Francis, that's a really sweet painting! I really dig it! Nice work. Congratulations on landing the comic pin-up gig also.

I feel the same way as others about the girl looking like she's floating. I took a couple of seconds to make a visual suggestion - basically with a couple of shadows she'll feel like she's sitting on the surface more.

http://www.joshbook.com/offsite/cgtalk/girlsitting.jpg

Also, perhaps a little less defined anatomy in her neck would make the girl look a little younger - she looks to be about 13-15.

Really Great work! :thumbsup:

phoenix
01-03-2004, 05:42 AM
now thats superhero:thumbsup:

francis001
01-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Hello all -

I went back and reworked the image based on a lot of the comments and observations I received here and at gfxartist.com. I think it works a little better.

fahrquad, I was not familiar with that character, but I can see the resemblance. Keep in mind that this is not my character design, but just a rendering of a design done by a friend of mine. The character is meant to be one of those Mexican wrestler types, so there will undoubtedly be some characters around who look a lot like this guy.

jtk77 and josh, thanks for the suggestions regarding her anatomy, they were good places to start from.

arliss, the cemetery setting is a story element. You will have to pick up the book to see where all the pieces come from!

lula, not a joint, but a bigass cigar. It's another story element.

OK, here is the updated version:

http://www.teamgt.com/gallery/albums/illustration/el_zombo640_02_001.jpg

Boondock Saint
01-04-2004, 10:44 PM
much better, but what about the cigar smoke?

desireerose
01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Um...i am not as keen as the others are about these piece. don't get me wrong the man is amazing. the detail that went into it is something else, but what is up with the girl?

her facial expression, her face detail and set up makes NO sense for this piece. the interest is the man, why would you need to place the her in there? one step at a time...

1.) the girls facial detail. compared to the man there is no similarity. infact her face looks flat even throught he lighting. she needs more detail. keep her expression it is funny.

2.) what the girl is wearing blends into much with the man. try making what she is wearing brighter or put in some highlights.

3.) she looks like she is floating over his shoulder. what i mean, is that he is not responding to her being there. wouldn't his shoulders or body posiotion change with a person sitting on his shoulders. i know mine would. or maybe it is the position of the girl, either way something about one of them is off to me.

your main issue is the girl. Try to work out the kinks, if all else fails you don't need her for the model, because the muscle man is your main subject!

Torquesmacky
01-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Sweet work! Now that you fixed the girl sitting on his shoulder, is near Perfecto! :thumbsup:

ibeliveicanfly
01-15-2004, 08:43 AM
:love: :love:

Ryu
01-17-2004, 06:22 PM
hi,

I liked the first version, but now I LOVE this one :)
really good touch ups, make the image a lot more real...

I'm new to digital painting, and i'd really like to progress...
I would like to know how you work, how do you build the midtones? what type of brush do you use? any tips and tricks you use a lot ?

I hope i'm not boring you, but i'd really like to progress, so thx already...
Cu

:)

jtk77
01-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Wonderful update. I like the tone more , it seems to be richer.
Can see you made some changes to the girl, they look great.
Her new hand placement really seems to lend more to her angle and the sense that she's really up there holding on.
Before the graviety was odd, this seems right, also she's no longer a seemly pasted image.
Glad any suggestion I had could help.
Great job man, good luck with the book.

DKMNZ
08-01-2004, 01:12 AM
really cool colours and shapes, the fog is a good touch as well. I think the ridiculously huge spliff takes a little of the credability away from this work.

DKMNZ
08-01-2004, 01:17 AM
and maybe I'm looking at the leg too much, now that you moved it, but that shoe looks kinda goofy to me now.

jst being pedantic

ramy
10-21-2004, 07:08 AM
This really made me laugh. Great content!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.