PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed Trailer

RobertoOrtiz
12-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Check it out!
>>link<< (http://www.a-seed.jp/trailer.html)
-R

CGmonkey
12-23-2003, 10:49 PM
It sure looks like an anime packed with action and a thin storyline :P

Looks awesome though.

verbal007
12-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Guess I'll have to dig out my VHS copy and give a rewatch... it's been too long.

Thanks for the heads up.

- Jeremy

Pibonne Zuntata
12-24-2003, 02:19 AM
looks generic, it isnt bad, but it doesnt look that good.
maybe 3-4 years ago it might have looked good.

PhilWesson
12-24-2003, 05:06 AM
wow, you guys must be great if you think this is just OK
its got a good storyline, its been around for a while

samgrice
12-24-2003, 12:19 PM
i think this could be the best cg feature-length animation ever made.

sod this kiddy micky mouse bullshit!:buttrock:

Lunatique
12-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Pibonne Zuntata- are you kidding me? That's one of the best looking things I've seen in a long long time. Awesome style.

For those of you who's never read the original Apple Seed manga--RUN, don't walk, and go buy the entire 4 volumes and read it in one go.

EnderW
12-24-2003, 06:01 PM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH

:buttrock: :buttrock:

SheepFactory
12-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by samgrice
i think this could be the best cg feature-length animation ever made.

sod this kiddy micky mouse bullshit!:buttrock:

:rolleyes:

Boone
12-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Re: Sam Grice.

"Sod this mickey mouse bullshit!"

- You've got me laughing, now!:beer:

samgrice
12-24-2003, 11:57 PM
**** disney, and all who sailed in her!:bounce:

P_T
12-25-2003, 02:01 AM
dang... love the cartwheel or watever u call it that she did :applause: just the eyes look a bit out of place at the closeup at the end, maybe too flat compared to the 3D face?

this and GITS:Innocence is on my DVD-to-buy list.

"Sod this mickey mouse bullshit!"

i don't get it lol

FUG1T1VE
12-25-2003, 09:12 AM
The action looks good and Paul Okenfold is on the soundtrack... sweet!

RormanKnockwell
12-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Robots, guns, chicks with weird eyes and tight-fitting body armor. This looks like completely generic anime, and I honestly don't understand the appeal. Don't get me wrong, there's some great anime out there: Miyazaki, Otomo, some of the Animatrix stuff, but 90% of it is crap. Of course, like Ted Sturgeon said, "90% of everything is crap".

As far as Mickey Mouse / Disney being kids stuff, and somehow unworthy, I think we ought to be critiquing animation based on it's technical merits and originality, not putting it down because we don't fit the target audience. Hell, even Raggedy Ann and Andy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076593/) had some terrific animation, as I recall.

derelict
12-26-2003, 03:39 AM
looks like two movies from shirow next year.... cool

Lunatique
12-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by RormanKnockwell
Robots, guns, chicks with weird eyes and tight-fitting body armor. This looks like completely generic anime, and I honestly don't understand the appeal. Don't get me wrong, there's some great anime out there: Miyazaki, Otomo, some of the Animatrix stuff, but 90% of it is crap. Of course, like Ted Sturgeon said, "90% of everything is crap".

As far as Mickey Mouse / Disney being kids stuff, and somehow unworthy, I think we ought to be critiquing animation based on it's technical merits and originality, not putting it down because we don't fit the target audience. Hell, even Raggedy Ann and Andy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076593/) had some terrific animation, as I recall.

Do you know ANYTHING about Appleseed? If not, you really should research into it before making a comment like that. Appleseed is one of the major masterpieces in the history of manga, and it has a story that is complex, philosophical, and touches on future global politics, high level government conspiracies, international espionage, human nature, psychology..etc. What you called "generic anime" actual was heavily influenced by Appleseed--Shirow pretty much CREATED that futuristic cyber-military style and made it popular back in the early 80's. Appleseed has been an ongoing manga series since then, and in a way, was the predecessor to Ghost In The Shell(also created by Shirow).

derelict
12-26-2003, 06:58 AM
well... i wouldnt go so far as to compare appleseed to ghost. Than again I think Mamuro Oshii should get the bigger credit for making it more mature.

Edit: So you 're in KL now. Cool

hardimage
12-26-2003, 09:57 AM
very nice, very...

RormanKnockwell
12-26-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique
Appleseed is one of the major masterpieces in the history of manga, and it has a story that is complex, philosophical, and touches on future global politics, high level government conspiracies, international espionage, human nature, psychology..etc.

I confess that I know absolutely nothing about Appleseed, other than what is shown in that trailer. Maybe it does have mature, sophisticated themes like you said, but from the trailer it looks like an infantile display of spasmodic action and visual cliche's. In order to distinguish itself, this film would have to use sophisticated themes or visuals in it's promotional material. Until then I'll just pass it off as generic anime, not worth considering.

You could argue that I'm lazy, that if I'd only give it a chance I'd discover something wonderful. If it's so wonderful, why does it feel the need to justify itself with hackneyed techno-futuristic giant robot nonsense? If Appleseed originated the genre I would be more forgiving, but it didn't. Hell, "mecha" goes all the way back to Macross, and probably earlier. Giant robots: Johnny Sokko. Techno futurism: Akira. Miyazaki does not feel burdened by this nonsense, and his films are better for it. When will people realize that techno-futuro-robo-armored-babe anime is not the new hotness, it's old and busted!

samgrice
12-26-2003, 12:55 PM
appleseed was created nearly 20 years ago and pre dates pretty much most of what you just mentioned.

i'm am getting tired of the pixar style cg films, althougn they are all excellent i want to see more than just "childrens cartoons". I know pixar films are very sophisticated in many ways, but i want to see someone produce a cg film worthy of the great anime titles (Akira, Metropolis, GITS, Ghibli titles) i have not seen the appleseed anime, but aparently it did not do the manga justice, so hopefully this new cg version will manage to.

although most of the animation comming from the big hollywood studios is technically brilliant, their storys and narratives are not. they try and imitate disneys past greats and try and catter for the highest audience in america: kids. while there is nothing wrong with making childrens animations, its just such a shame that the american industry is content on JUST doing that.

P_T
12-26-2003, 01:07 PM
just curious... why do u need to compare this anime with Miyazaki's work? if everyone in japan makes anime like Miyazaki then his work wouldn't really be special anymore now would it? besides... Miyazaki may be the master in his genre but so is Masamune Shirow in his own genre.

earliest futuristic mecha genre series that i've seen: (1969)Chodenji Mashin Voltus V

futuristic/mecha genre goes waaay back and it still is popular in japan, doesn't that tell u something? it maybe an old genre but is sure isn't busted. :)

RormanKnockwell
12-26-2003, 02:09 PM
The idea of Pixar producing "children's cartoons" is strange to me. I certainly can appreciate their work as an adult. Finding Nemo had appeal for adults: the theme of a father being separated from his son, or Marlin's growth as a character from an overprotective parent to a nurturing, confident father. I think that a lot of adults can relate to the larger themes of "Finding Nemo". At the same time, it has a lot of humor and is certianly safe for kids. I would not characterize it as a kids movie in the same vein as Pokemon. It has a broad appeal. The best American animation strives for this kind of appeal. Just because it is suitable for kids does not mean it's not also suitable for adults.

I can't comment specifically on Appleseed, but it seems that a great deal of anime is aimed at (slightly older) kids. Immature "action-fantasy" themes, in other words. It certainly sells itself like that. It is only when we grow older that we see that what we thought was "mature" is actually quite juvenile. That truth hit home for me once I saw SW1:TPM. It finally dawned on me that Lucas was making kids movies and that I'd spent the last 20 years, after seeing Star Wars, in a delusional haze.

I expect that, one day, anime fans will look back at the films they loved and see them very, very differently. Some of them may hold up to close scrutiny, as I still appreciate Akira for it's superb cinematography, but most will not.

RormanKnockwell
12-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by P_T
just curious... why do u need to compare this anime with Miyazaki's work? if everyone in japan makes anime like Miyazaki then his work wouldn't really be special anymore now would it?

You're right, it's wrong of me to lump Miyazaki in with Appleseed. It is clearly a different genre.

I wasn't trying to suggest that everyone animate like Miyazaki, but rather that people should try to branch out and try different things like he does. Be creative and original, in other words.

Lunatique
12-26-2003, 02:18 PM
I confess that I know absolutely nothing about Appleseed, other than what is shown in that trailer. Maybe it does have mature, sophisticated themes like you said, but from the trailer it looks like an infantile display of spasmodic action and visual cliche's. In order to distinguish itself, this film would have to use sophisticated themes or visuals in it's promotional material. Until then I'll just pass it off as generic anime, not worth considering.

You could argue that I'm lazy, that if I'd only give it a chance I'd discover something wonderful. If it's so wonderful, why does it feel the need to justify itself with hackneyed techno-futuristic giant robot nonsense? If Appleseed originated the genre I would be more forgiving, but it didn't. Hell, "mecha" goes all the way back to Macross, and probably earlier. Giant robots: Johnny Sokko. Techno futurism: Akira. Miyazaki does not feel burdened by this nonsense, and his films are better for it. When will people realize that techno-futuro-robo-armored-babe anime is not the new hotness, it's old and busted!

Let's say if a studio decided to make a Neuromancer film--based on your mentality, you might say something like, "Well, that just looks like generic old skool cyberpunk crap. Same old implant sockets in the neck, reflective sunglasses, giant corporation conspiracies, cyberspace, hacking, and a depressing future..etc. It's all been done before, and it's not like Neuromancer originated that high tech stuff."

You see what I mean? No, William Gibson did not invent cyberpunk, but he sure the hell is considered a pioneer and Godfather of cyberpunk--and he personally vaulted the entire genre onto the mainstream stage. Shirow didn't invent mecha stuff, but he's a pioneer and the Godfather of cyberpunk/military/special forces blend genre. Before him, there was no one that did a story about a futuristic SWAT team entangled in global terrorism/politics, and taking down cyborg terrorists carrying out political assassinations for foreign governments. He pretty much invented that stuff. And the "hackneyed techno-futuristic giant robot nonsense" remark is so off base because you know nothing about Appleseed. There are no giant robots in Appleseed. Those are exoskeleton armour suits worn by the SWAT team. And about the "infantile display of spasmodic action and visual cliche's"--man, Shirow drew all those action sequences in the manga series way back in the mid-80's--just like those, and they were way ahead of its time. Like I said, you think it's cliched because you've only seen the stuff that was inspired/influenced by Appleseed.

Look, I highly recommend Appleseed the manga series(do not watch the anime version they made in the 80's. It was kinda mediocre--and Shirow wasn't involved). You can decide to not look into it and blow it off as "generic mecha crap," or you can give it a try and discover a masterpiece by a master manga creator.

P_T
12-26-2003, 02:28 PM
come now dude... it's hard to define "creative and original" these days... can u define it??

masamune shirow created a futuristic world for this anime just like miyazaki created his own fantasy world... some would say that's original and creative...

some say there are a lot of Alice in Wonderland in Spirited Away and talking/moving animals and wat not has been done looong time ago as well... :shrug:

samgrice
12-26-2003, 02:44 PM
@RormanKnockwell:

as i said "I know pixar films are very sophisticated in many ways" and that they can apeal to adults as much as children. but they do not apeal to adults in the same way as die hard, the terminator or LOTR do. thats what i think is missing in american animation, although i think those such subjects are best suited to 2d as the final fantasy film proved.

RormanKnockwell
12-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique
Let's say if a studio decided to make a Neuromancer film--based on your mentality, you might say something like, "Well, that just looks like generic old skool cyberpunk crap. Same old implant sockets in the neck, reflective sunglasses, giant corporation conspiracies, cyberspace, hacking, and a depressing future..etc. It's all been done before, and it's not like Neuromancer originated that high tech stuff."

Very true, and it's an excellent point. I will concede that Appleseed may be a terrific film.

Why is it, though, that they chose to produce a trailer that looks like such bland, generic crap? Perhaps they are counting on the fact that people are already familiar with the print version, and will check out the film based on its merits. That's certainly no way to win new viewers (like myself). If a Neuromancer film came out with a trailer that looked like Matrix Reloaded, I'd take a pass on it as well. Having read Neuromancer, I would want to see the film, but relying on familiarity with the title to sell the movie is an extraordinarially poor marketing strategy.

If Appleseed is so good, you ought to be complaining to the producers of the film to make a better trailer, one which spreads the message of the film to a wider audience. Otherwise, I will dismiss it as unwatchable.

RormanKnockwell
12-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Samgrice:

I suppose the idea of what is a mature or adult theme can vary. When you say that Pixar films are sophisticated, I would consider this the definition of an adult movie: one which has character growth and an inticate plot. I would argue that such a film is more geared to adults than "Die Hard", "Terminator", etc. In my opinon, simply belonging to an action-adventure genre or having an R rating does not make for a film which appeals to adults. There can be overlap, of course. Some of my favorite fillms, like "Memento" or "A Simple Plan", had plenty of action, but also an engaging plot. It's this last bit that really engages the adult viewer.

As far as adult themed animation is concerned, I certainly think it is possible. Animation is much more pervasive and mainstream than it was years ago. To pull it off successfully, though, you need an engaging plot, not a simple action-adventure veneer (a-la Final Fantasy).

P_T:

I think it's easier to tell what isn't creative and original than to define what the terms mean. I'll give props to Appleseed for inventing the genre, if you say that's the case. However I would also say that the genre holds no interest for me, or the majority of Americans, and will not win any mainstream converts until the cliches are left behind. If Appleseed did not make it to film before people like me were sick to death of seeing that sort of thing, well... that's a shame.

P_T
12-26-2003, 03:55 PM
well it's a good thing that anime is targeted at Japanese and probably other Asian market then. ;)

but i think u're underestimating this genre since there are a lot of american fans for even "generic anime" as u put it. for example, check google image search for Trigun and u will see some americans dressing up as the characters, same goes with Final Fantasy etc. and there are also tons of american fan sites for these types of anime.

some argued that Final Fantasy was "westernised" to suit the american audience, but people didn't like it. About all the connection it has with the Japanese games is the name "Final Fantasy" and "Cid", it has none of the "engaging plot" commonly associated with the games.

I enjoy movies like Beautiful Mind, Piano etc but i also still have an inner child that needs to be satisfied and since my view of this world is not as pure as it used to be, cartoons like He-Man and Ninja Turtle just don't cut it anymore... i need a more "adult oriented" kid movies that still has simple storyline like "good guy kicks bad guy's ass" and that's where movies like Terminator, Die Hard and anime like Appleseed, GITS comes in handy. :)

samgrice
12-26-2003, 03:55 PM
its just such a shame western audiences are so unwilling to give "mature" animation a chance. Thew vast majority of people in the west see animation as purely a childrens thing and the thought of having sex and violence in them as perverse.

this is such a shame as i (and many others) consider the likes of Akira, GITS, etc, etc, as superior to anything disney and the like have made in the past 50 years. they were great once, but they have been unable to get over talking animals and suger-coated plots.

i hope that this new appleseed adaptaion does the manga justice and that it can be the first full-length cg film to succsefully break the pixar mold and move the format into new teritory.

my spelling sucks:bowdown:

JackaL(px)
12-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Very true, and it's an excellent point. I will concede that Appleseed may be a terrific film.

Why is it, though, that they chose to produce a trailer that looks like such bland, generic crap? Perhaps they are counting on the fact that people are already familiar with the print version, and will check out the film based on its merits. That's certainly no way to win new viewers (like myself). If a Neuromancer film came out with a trailer that looked like Matrix Reloaded, I'd take a pass on it as well. Having read Neuromancer, I would want to see the film, but relying on familiarity with the title to sell the movie is an extraordinarially poor marketing strategy.

If Appleseed is so good, you ought to be complaining to the producers of the film to make a better trailer, one which spreads the message of the film to a wider audience. Otherwise, I will dismiss it as unwatchable.

Thanks for opening my eyes to that point of view. Neuromancer is a superb book, but would people not knowing about the book dub it a tad unoriginal amidst all the similar Cyber/Dark Sciencefiction films around today?

igorstshirts
12-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Bring this movie on!!!!! Somehow, I too think this will fall way short of it's epic potential, alot like the 2d anime that was made in the late eighties. How to cram 12 novels at like 600 pages each into a 45 min. animation... Hmmm... (Animation and style looks sick in this new trailer though)!!!

Per-Anders
12-27-2003, 03:17 AM
i have to agree with rormanknockwell on this. however i think that marketing wise it's targeting kids, like most anime and for those pubescant teens then this is just gonna look sooo cool, so it doesn't matter to them. chances are they probably haven't seen that much anime, so to them it's still fresh and new, i mean... let the new generation discover enjoy this stuff and all that :)

hell, it's not as if hollywood is that original either with what i consider to be it's equivalents to most of the so called "adult" anime i.e. the action genre. but that doesn't stop teens piling into cinemas accross the world to see whatever next.

with regards cartoons and "adult" themes. well, samgrice mentioned lotr, maybe he's not aware that an earlier attempt was made at lotr in cartoon form, in fact it's arguable that this peice of cinema is responsible for some of the wests perception of cartoons, and misgivings about "adult" cartoons. on the other hand, i would also say the perception is maintained by stuff just like this trailer. which can't really be said to be mature in content, even though it contains some violence and alludes to sex. to most western adults (who're probably not in touch with their inner teen) this stuff is in fact rather the equivalent of frat jokes i.e. rather embarrasing in it's blatancy and childishness (of course sometimes that's a good reason to enjoy 'em anyway, but that depends on your adults outlook).

i don't really see much reason for the west to add in such themes and elements just for the sake of it, hell hollywood already does this with enough genres, and frankly it stinks so i'll happily see them removed and a continued tradition of better quality writing maintained at least for animation.

SheepFactory
12-27-2003, 05:58 AM
if you guys wanna see "mature" animation at its best watch Triplets of Belleville.

I totally agree with Rorman on this one ,

ok so appleseed is great and all , I am not into manga and I didnt get the sense of any intricate plot or any sense of character from this trailer. Its some chick running around while robots shooting.

This is going to open up limited theatres and will probably make $5 million and be forgotten here in US. I am not saying its bad or anything but with this kind of marketing its doomed to fail. Do you think its marketed towards adults now?

Lunatique
12-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Yeah, maybe they concentrated too much on just the action in the trailer. It's like if someone made trailers for Gladiator, Brave Heart, Ran, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket..etc, and only used the action scenes. It would be misleading and people would think those movies are just mindless action and flash--where in reality, these films are far more than just action.

samgrice
12-27-2003, 11:46 AM
yeah what would be wrong with making a 2d animation of the likes of saving private ryan, platoon? or other films i would consider entertaining, but in a mature way: 12 monkeys, the exorcist, the shining, alien, the hanibal trilogy, indiana jones.

theres no reason that, if done correctly, these types of films wouldnt make great animated films. theres so many genres out there that mainstream western animation is unprepaired to touch

Per-Anders
12-27-2003, 04:41 PM
well one possible argument is that, they're already done correctly. why make them animated? what would it add? what would it take away?

remember, hollywood (and hong kong) produces equivalent stuff to anime, the fact that it's live action for me doesn't distract.

hardimage
12-27-2003, 05:00 PM
btw: is that appleseed movie entirely 3d with toonshading (& textures onto 3d) or are some characters 2d?

samgrice
12-27-2003, 06:08 PM
@mdme_sadie: the point i was making was not to re-make those films, but to make similar, original films in the same genre, to the same standard. And not to suger-coat any death, violence or sex like western animation tends to do.

eliseu gouveia
12-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I have to confess I´ve never read the Appleseed manga.
I saw the anime somewhere and having heard countless good things about itI immediatelly bought it, got home and put it on my VCR.
It was excruciating.

I´m glad they´re trying to do a new anime about it and I hope this time they´ll make it justice.

P_T
12-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
well one possible argument is that, they're already done correctly. why make them animated? what would it add? what would it take away?

remember, hollywood (and hong kong) produces equivalent stuff to anime, the fact that it's live action for me doesn't distract.

can u give me an example? i wouldn't go so far as to compare American and HK (live action) action movies to anime coz if that's the case hollywood wouldn't be trying to adapt anime like Evangelion, Akira etc into live action. as far as i can tell, The Matrix is the closest thing to live action anime hollywood has.

sure a lot of HK movies has martial arts combine with gun fights but that coz they also have deep martial arts roots to their culture. HK action movies usually tell stories about martial artists in ancient time or some cop/triad movies in present time. They basically have their own style which is quite different to anime.

raz-0
12-29-2003, 07:00 AM
jeez man, someone needs to open a window and let the pretentious out.

Point 1) I HIGHLY doubt this wil be a failure. Like so many have said already, appleseed is a seminal work in anime. People know what it is. It has a built in market already where it is going to be released.

Point 2)Surprisingly, there seems ot be a thriving market for anime without worrying about US box office success. Who cares if it is available in the US other than on DVD for those of us who like this kind of thing.

Point 3)look at the trailer. Note the running time. It is a TEASER. It's 31 seconds. Basically, it flashes the name appleseed on the screen and gives youa quick look at the visual style. Very seldom are teaser trailers very good, and equally seldom do they tell you much about the plot of the movie. Most teasers focus on action, or a stunning visual. That's what it does. It isn't meant to convince those needing convincing. It's meant to get those that don't really need convincing all worked up. For the folks who need convincing, you can make a better judgement if/when a longer format trailer is released.

As for the style of animation, some of it looks good, some is so-so. It looks like they mixed a number of styles, and historically it hasn't worked so well in practice as in theory. It also looks like some of the cell shading doesn't work out so hot some of the time, and they just render it anyway.

Judge Drury
12-29-2003, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't bother trying to change any preconceptions of fellas like RormanKnockwell. If you've read the manga, you know what the score is with Appleseed.

So the trailer looks like a regular old biscuit cutter guns'n'chicks'n'robots'n'armour with guns?

Well, yeah, pretty much! :p That's what Shirow does best. However, if they follow anywhere along the lines of the classic Shirow (the author) storylines, the flash and candy should be well justified.

Shirow is a master of combining sex appeal, awesome weapons and action with well developed characters (sadomasochistic, in the case of Deunan :D) and intense storylines.

Hopefully they consulted him for the movie, when he wasn't to busy compiling those pornographic illustrated posterbooks.:surprised

As has been said, this guy also was responsible for the original manga of Ghost in the Shell as well (and consequently, all the Matrix movies! :p)

krisr
12-30-2003, 01:33 PM
why can't I play this format? I have the latest Windows media player. Does this require a specific codec? Thanks.

sjxf
12-30-2003, 01:43 PM
very nice,yes,it's nice

hardimage
12-30-2003, 06:19 PM
so can anybody tell me if those characters are 2d or 3d (toonshaded)?

NeoGSR
12-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Check out the Appleseed trailer...
The animation looks pretty good.

Appleseed Trailer (http://www.a-seed.jp/)

mv
12-30-2003, 08:49 PM
looks nice! and it's not the dumbest manga story/universe out there, so... I'm looking forward for this one.

bentllama
12-31-2003, 12:27 AM

:applause: :applause: :applause:

singularity2006
12-31-2003, 04:39 AM
oooh daaang, they remade it? I remember this being an older anime.... wow, nice!

hardimage
12-31-2003, 04:57 AM
why dont you guys open your eyes a little. a thread for appleseed/ trailer is going on since days in the cgnews section.

MikeRhone
12-31-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by hardimage
why dont you guys open your eyes a little. a thread for appleseed/ trailer is going on since days in the cgnews section.

There are people who say things in a nice way, and others who just act like an ass. Welcome to pile number 2 hardimage.

Link:
Original Appleseed trailer in the news forum. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111522)

Mike R

kwshipman
12-31-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Rhonedog
There are people who say things in a nice way, and others who just act like an ass. Welcome to pile number 2 hardimage.

Link:
Original Appleseed trailer in the news forum. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111522)

Mike R

not that calling someone an "ass" is nice

this is the second thread that Neo has started today that already exists, so neo, do some more looking arround before you post, please.

Shaykai
12-31-2003, 07:01 AM
Why is everyone getting upset about multi threads? If by the subject it looks like you have allready seen a similier thread then don't click on it. Sheesh. If peoples multi-threads start getting out of hand (like 3 or 4 of the same thread in the same page of the section) then complain about it.

Shaykai

NeoGSR
12-31-2003, 01:26 PM
Hahaha ok look... there are so many damn threads on here.

Damn you guys crack up me.

KingMob
12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
I just merged the thread in the general discussion with the one here... so if anyones confused why here is two links to the trailer, I dont want to go edit anyoens posts.... please keep all apple seed movie stuff here, thanks.

and yeah, before posting a news story its a good idea to run a search cause 99% of the time someone already got it..and that someone is usually Roberto (j/k)

kaiten
01-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Looks sweet. Is there any word on which software was used? :drool:

derelict
01-05-2004, 01:49 AM
the 1st ugly one was done on MAX (not that i'm saying max is bad) but the current is more hybrid. That is to say, i have no bloody idea of the current one. :)

ArtisticVisions
01-14-2004, 10:57 PM
It has cool animation I'll admit, but it looks a little too "3d-ish" for my personal taste.... I suppose I'll have to wait and see it to give my final opinion on it.

Yeah, there was a previous OVA made of Appleseed. (think it was made in the late 80s-early 90's)

staticneuron
01-15-2004, 05:08 PM
To RormanKnockwell and to everyone else who doesn't get anime. (This as an age old arguement.) First of all it's the story and the character development. I have been watching anime for years and ,yes ,I am tired of the generic look but you can have two character that look exactly alike but have enough personality and such a different demeanor that you can tell them apart. Another thing is I doubt you have seen any other anime than what has been released and overglorified in the US. That 90% statement is kind of unfair. I love disney and many of thier 'older' films but it can be pretty and original yet have a crap story which (in my opinion) destroys the entire thing.
As far as the popular complaind of reusing frames and or static character shots it was because of money reasons. It happened for so long that it became a style. In movies it is obviously noticible what the people who make "crap" can do with more time and money.

ICO88
01-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Appleseed is an amazing work of art and this I have a feeling is goning to be big (like Akira, Metroplolis, or GITS). To say appleseed is generic is to be unaware. The world of appleseed is just like today with the threat of terror and rouge states threatens stability. It covers Philosophy, Religeon, Multiculturalism, Race relations, Terrorism, and politics. It is a very deep story. It also is infused with miltary style action (Shirow was influenced by the british SAS and films like the Final Option and Who Dares Wins) The orc powered suits are modeled after the SAS's combat suits. I still read the 4 volume translated manga to this day and I find it is far superior to GITS. The long Trailer shows that they are taking this in the right direction. The old anime they did in the 80s was horrible, so the only reason they doing this today is to do it right and give this manga the cg justice it deserves. This is gonna be elite people.:bowdown:

Silvermyst
01-31-2004, 07:19 AM
*cough*

You might all be interested in a longer trailer in quicktime format.

http://www.apple.jp/quicktime/trailers/index.html

Right there, bottom row.

ACFred
02-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Looks like it could be fun. Characters do look pretty generic, but if you've seen one anime character you've seen nearly all the rest, so you have to know that going in.

I do like the brief shot of the guy punching through the robot's midsection in slow-mo.

I think we need just a couple more movies with a chick jumping off of a building with the camera following her down and it'll be an official cliche.

Why'd they name it Appleseed anyway? Is there a Japanese name for the film or is Appleseed it? The trailer was kinda funny with all of the Japanese voiceover and then a guy coming in at the end to whisper "Appleseed."

Thank goodness for mocap and toon shaders. Soon, they'll mocap a bouncing ball, run it through a toon shader and call it great animation.

pomru
02-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ACFred
Looks like it could be fun. Characters do look pretty generic, but if you've seen one anime character you've seen nearly all the rest, so you have to know that going in. Yeah, the characters look more generic than the original designs.
I think we need just a couple more movies with a chick jumping off of a building with the camera following her down and it'll be an official cliche. LOL! My thoughts exactly! :)

Why'd they name it Appleseed anyway? Is there a Japanese name for the film or is Appleseed it? The trailer was kinda funny with all of the Japanese voiceover and then a guy coming in at the end to whisper "Appleseed." If you thought that was funny, then you'll also think the guy whispering "Innocence," at the end of the Innocence: Ghost in the Shell (http://www.innocence-movie.jp/trailer/index.html) trailer is funny too. ;) Seriously though, Appleseed is the name of the film in both English and Japanese. It's based upon the popular graphic novel series by Masamune Shirow (http://www.darkhorse.com/search/search.php?sstring=Masamune+Shirow) (who also worked on the popular Ghost in the Shell graphic novel series).

Thank goodness for mocap and toon shaders. Soon, they'll mocap a bouncing ball, run it through a toon shader and call it great animation. The use of mocap in the trailer is quite obvious, but it's nowheres as painful to watch as the test trailer they made for Appleseed about a year ago. The animators have come a long way since then, but as you noted, they still have some ways to go before they reach Pixar-quality. (Ugh, I've got to find a less-overused term than "Pixar-quality." :rolleyes: )

P_T
02-01-2004, 10:56 PM
since they're not doing some anthropomorphic animal/toy characters how did u actually compare their work to Pixar? :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.