PDA

View Full Version : Game Modeling for Half Life 2

adam|zeliasz
12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
A quick question... I developing a model for Half Life 2, and I am working on the hair. Is it possible to build the hair model one sided and texture it to run correctly in the game engine? That way I dont have to build the inside of the hair and double my polygons. You will however see the hair from the inside too, such as hair that covers the models face, but if you look at it from the side you will be able to see the inside (inside closest to the skin)... Hope that explains it.

For example... take a poly sphere and carve it in half, remove the polygon that closes the sphere, then texture it. Will it draw correctly in game engines or do I have to model the "inside" of the sphere? One thing though is that you will be able to see in side the sphere.

Thanks.

zworp
12-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Im not sure I understand your question but, no you dont need a inside, and yes you can have one sided meshes, the polygon will however be invisible from the backside.

(if backface culling is on, it usually is in games)

chrisdejoya
12-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Hey, I've been trying to track down techie info for HL2 as well, but it doesn't look like anyone's going to start talking about it til the game comes out... but my best guess is that since the game uses normal maps (only on props, as far as I've read) double-sided textures most probably won't be supported... (since seeing the backside of a normal mapped face would break the illusion..)

kyldub
12-30-2003, 11:28 PM
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?faq=source_mod_faq

best source there is i think, pretty weak.

Dieblein
12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Snowfly
Hey, I've been trying to track down techie info for HL2 as well, but it doesn't look like anyone's going to start talking about it til the game comes out... but my best guess is that since the game uses normal maps (only on props, as far as I've read) double-sided textures most probably won't be supported... (since seeing the backside of a normal mapped face would break the illusion..)

Normalmaps should work on models too. But in any case what is the difference between NM and Bumpmaps? I saw this demonstration video and well.. I canīt see any difference.

SecretAgent
12-31-2003, 04:43 PM
I think Normal Mapping is the same thing as bump mapping, only for games they seem to call it normal mapping (probably to do with how the game engine renders it).

I've never heard it fully explained though, so I'm speculating mostly.

EricChadwick
12-31-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Eric22
I've never heard it fully explained though...

Perhaps this article will help.
http://members.shaw.ca/jimht03/normal.html

Count0
01-02-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm not so sure that HL2 uses normal mapping for characters. In DoomIII it's clear that it's used, but in HL2 it doesn't seem so. I know they use normal mapping for the world textures, so it might be supported for characters too, even if Valve doesn't use it themselves.

kyldub
01-02-2004, 09:29 PM
from the link i posted earlier

In DX8, you can put specular normal maps on all models, and you can put diffuse and specular normal maps on world geometry (including displacement maps).

In DX9, you can additionally put diffuse normal maps on models.

so people with dx9 cards can have normal maps on everything.

Dieblein
01-03-2004, 01:40 AM
I heared that Dx8 cards can emulate the technology features of Dx9 at the cost of performance speed, is that true? Or donīt they truly realize the meantioned features at all?

What is the result for the developer then? 2 types of models for each charakter?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.