PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid fans

Larry_g1s
12-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Here are some resent shots from the up coming MGS: Twin Snakes due out for the GameCube early 2004. I'm really looking forward to this game because I've heard such great things about the original, and now it's with amazing graphics, added story, and MGS:2 gameplay techniques.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/twinsnakes_121203_x8.jpg http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/twinsnakes_121203_x9.jpg http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mgstwinsnakes_100103_03.jpg

Larry_g1s
12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
A couple more...

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mgstwin_090503_x18.jpg http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mgstwin_090503_x14.jpg

Neil
12-30-2003, 06:54 PM
They're the models they used for MGS2: SOL.

The screenshots aren't really gonna do it justice alone, because a big factor in brining it to GC was pumping up the action and stunts. They got the action coordinator (whatever the term is) from Versus (the movie) to work on GC.

That's why we're getting silly/awesome stuff like Snake jumping onto rockets as they fly at him.

edit: I don't mean to be an ass, but these screenshots aren't really new either :shrug:

Larry_g1s
12-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Neil
They're the models they used for MGS2: SOL.

The screenshots aren't really gonna do it justice alone, because a big factor in brining it to GC was pumping up the action and stunts. They got the action coordinator (whatever the term is) from Versus (the movie) to work on GC.

That's why we're getting silly/awesome stuff like Snake jumping onto rockets as they fly at him.

edit: I don't mean to be an ass, but these screenshots aren't really new either :shrug:

I'm not sure were the info your getting is coming from, but everything I've read says that these are not from MGS:2, Silicon Knights is doing all the graphics. As far as them "not being new", they didn't come out today, but most of them are from 12/12/03, so realitivly new. And I figured new to most of the people on these boards. :shrug:

I'm personally stoked. I've heard it's a great game, and to be able to play it for the first time with these graphics, new ablitilies, and new story points, I'm game.

PhilOsirus
12-31-2003, 04:17 AM
I think what he meant was that they used models from MGS: SOL for this one. Whatever, it looks great but having no GC means I won't play this remake, unless they port it later on. Can't wait for MTGS3!!

bentllama
12-31-2003, 05:20 AM
does it come wrapped in wax? I only ask because it sounds like alot of cheese for me to swallow.

http://www.cheesemaker.com/images/cheese.jpg

alphatron
12-31-2003, 05:54 AM
The cut scenes are actually re-directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, who was the director of Versus and Azumi, two films I really loved. I'm quite torn, because I really liked Hideo's direction in MGS, being the first time I actually felt cinematically engaged in a video game.

Neil
12-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
does it come wrapped in wax? I only ask because it sounds like alot of cheese for me to swallow.

It's funny how you always say something totally ignorant in the MGS threads, yet you always post in all of them. I think you're a closet MGS fan.

Larry_g1s
12-31-2003, 04:32 PM

WHat bentllama posting a negative comment on a Nintendo related thread ? ? ? :eek:
I never saw that coming. :rolleyes:

Sorry Phil "Osirus", it's a GameCube exclusive, no port in sight.

alphatron
12-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Juggernaut
Sorry Phil "Osirus", it's a GameCube exclusive, no port in sight. [/color]

Juggernaut, Konami and Microsoft also said that about Metal Gear Solid: Substance, and it ended up on the PS2. I'm betting if sales for Twin Snakes don't meet a certain requirement, a port will be made.

bentllama
12-31-2003, 08:59 PM
A closet MGS fan? No, I do not think so. I like and appreciate some of the content and all the hard work that goes into making the titles...but I do not have the yearning to play the games.
The whole "croc hat" sealed the deal on my dismissal for MGS. The "riding rockets" comment is what spurred my post.

As for hating Nintendo..ummm I can't say that I do...
I visciously hammer on my GBA SP almost everynight. Enjoying alot of different titles that I cannot get on standard consoles.

Larry_g1s
12-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by alphatron
Juggernaut, Konami and Microsoft also said that about Metal Gear Solid: Substance, and it ended up on the PS2. I'm betting if sales for Twin Snakes don't meet a certain requirement, a port will be made.

Yeah, but MS wasn't working in conjuction with Konami on the developement of the game like Nintendo and Silcon Knights (Nintendo 2nd party dev) are with this one. It's bascially being completely done by SK but with Nintendo and Konami over seeing it.

As for hating Nintendo..ummm I can't say that I do...
I visciously hammer on my GBA SP almost everynight. Enjoying alot of different titles that I cannot get on standard consoles.

Fine...I should have said GameCube instead. Either way, I've yet to see you say anything slightly positive in a Nintendo/GameCube based thread. It's like you go outta your way to consistantly say something negative is all I'm saying. :shrug: And that's why I was saying it wasn't a suprise. But no biggie. It still gonna rock.

bentllama
01-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Juggernaut, if it is any consolation I have a few friends at SK whom I respect greatly. I do admire their work and hope that the studio thrives. A great Canadian studio with alot of great people working there.

I just do not think I would ever want to play a full MGS game. Not my thing, thats all.

My biggest complaint with Nintendo is them not going online. Alot of their games would scream at me if they had online play. Oh well. :shrug:

Magnum Jones
01-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Looks like a great remake.

Im a great fan of the first MGS. It has some of the most original and amazing bosses of the 32/64-bits generation.

t-toe
01-01-2004, 10:02 PM
see, I don't play video games much anymore. but when I do, it's for the storyline. that's what makes the MGS games perfect. there's always some darned good storytelling going on in those games. it will be interesting to see SK's take on this already classic game.

I've been wanting to play through the original MGS for a while now, but I can't bring myself to do it, because the graphics are just sooooooo bad compared to today's standards... now I won't have to.

alphatron
01-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I hope they don't re-record the dialog, as the voice acting was incredible in the first one. Matched the tone and style of the game perfectly. I especially liked Vulcan Raven and Revolver Ocelot's voice actors.

Larry_g1s
01-02-2004, 07:45 AM
My biggest complaint with Nintendo is them not going online. Alot of their games would scream at me if they had online play. Oh well. :shrug:

I guess it's just I don't agree with your view with online gaming being the way. I believe it can be a great addition, but there are sooo many games that I don't see how it would or could help. There's so much life in single player games.

But I will admit there are definitly some games that would be fantastic online from Nintendo. My picks would be Mario Kart, and Super Smash Brothers. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by t-toe
I've been wanting to play through the original MGS for a while now, but I can't bring myself to do it, because the graphics are just sooooooo bad compared to today's standards... now I won't have to.

Exactly!

bentllama
01-02-2004, 08:16 AM
I used to be a kart king. oh how I wish it was online.

Kwe
02-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by alphatron
I hope they don't re-record the dialog, as the voice acting was incredible in the first one. Matched the tone and style of the game perfectly. I especially liked Vulcan Raven and Revolver Ocelot's voice actors.

(first time posting)

I have some good news and some bad news. If you don't want anything spoiled, as far as voice acting goes, then I suggest you stop reading now...

Bad news is...your hopes have been crushed. Good news is...they DID re-record the dialog with ALL the original voice actors and it sounds EVEN BETTER! They also took the liberty of finding a voice actor for Cyber Ninja since the voice actor who played the Darpa Chief also played Cyber Ninja's voice and it was pretty obvious the voice actor was of African descent (Cyber Ninja is a mostly caucasian character).

If you compare Ocelot's voice from MGS to Ocelot's voice to from MGS2:SOL then you'll notice Ocelot's voice from MGS2:SOL sounds a lot better. You can tell the voice actor felt comfortable playing the role in MGS2. I played MGS the other day and noticed the same voice actor sounded pretty bland in the original MGS. So Ocelot sounds more like Ocelot and less like the voice actor's original voice. Also...Vulcan Raven doesn't sound like Mr. Governator anymore.

An interesting decision was to change Naomi Hunter and Mei Ling's accents. They're still played by the same voice actresses, but they don't have foreign accents anymore. They now speak with perfect American accents. I'm not sure why they decided to make Naomi speak with an American accent...but the decision for Mei Ling was because, even though Mei Ling is Chinese, she was raised in America.

*whew* That was a long one....anywho. Does anyone know if anyone on CGTALK has done any pieces or works based on Metal Gear?

Neil
02-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Welcome.

I'm confused though... so what's the bad news?

This is the best cgtalk/mgs art i remember seeing:

http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/liu_mgs1.jpg
http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/liu_mgs2.jpg

nineinchneil
02-07-2004, 10:07 PM
i think the main issue that needs to be resolved immediately is the fact that you haven't played the original game on the ps1, juggernaut : "I'm really looking forward to this game because I've heard such great things about the original. . ."

i beg you to play it before playing twin snakes; you'll see it in a different light. i BEG you!!!!

and no, they AREN'T using the same models from mgs:sol. besides the fact that snake has shorter hair, you can definitely tell that his face looks different than in mgs:sol. plus the cyborg ninja is a lot less bulky. he had a lot of armor in mgs:sol.

Kwe
02-08-2004, 02:59 AM
The only bad news was that alphatron's hopes have been crushed...that's all.

Anywho...Juggernaut...I suggest you take NineInchNeil's advice and play the original before the remake. Even though the remake will technically be a better game...if you play the original, you'll be in for 2 different expriences rather than one. Not to mention...some of the highly stylized fight scenes might shadow the underlying story behind Metal Gear Solid. I'm not saying that the story won't be important...I'm just saying that....the focus of MGS was the story.........Twin Snakes is focused MORE on the gameplay, graphics, and action.

Kwe
02-08-2004, 03:12 AM
Oh yeah...forgot to ask...

...is there a "Requests" forum on CGTalk? I'd LOVE to see a fully rendered Solid Snake or Revolver Ocelot complete with high polygon count. I'd make them myself if I could, but I just started using 3d studio max about a year ago and I still can't even make a face.

AlbertArt
02-08-2004, 06:53 AM
The screen shots look the same as the last game.

Neil
02-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Uh, clearly not the same looking (unless you're talking about MGS2) [i get a feeling from other forums that people still don't get what MGS:TS is]

but anyway, first the clear xbox went Japan only, now here's another case of a giving the USA the shaft.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3275

Supervlieg
02-09-2004, 08:50 AM
They redid all the models at SK. Except for Metal Gear Rex, I read somewhere they did it over at Konami, because of the importance of the character. Anyway, I wonder how much fun will be had if you allready played the old ones. Gamecube is the home of a lot of remakes, which is great for people who didnt play the originals. But if you did play them, the urge to buy these game is severly lacking.

I think I'll save my money for MGS3. Cant wait for the rambo style game, and cant wait to wear the croc hat.

nineinchneil
02-09-2004, 03:59 PM
i guess i'm just a hideo kojima fanboy, who'll eat up anything that dude throws out. he could make a remake of a remake of a remake, and i would still be all over it. . . :)

hopper2k
02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm a big MGS fan too, but I think it is dumb to make a remake of an already great game, and I don't care what they are doing to it to try and make it better. I hate the first person view to shoot, and this just shows me that they can't come up with an all new storyline, that they are just going to make more money off of something that already exists. So will I buy this game...yes. Did Konami do their job...yes.

KolbyJukes
02-09-2004, 08:41 PM
I can't understand why people love MGS so much? Now don't flame me...I just don't get it. Is it the story? the characters?

I bought MGS 2: sons of liberty for my XBOX a couple months ago. I'm usually not a big fan of the stealth genre, but I loved Splinter Cell so much, I thought I needed to give it a chance. But I was mortified by the gameplay. My three biggest complaints were the camera, the controls, and the cut-scenes every 5 seconds - it felt like I was watching a movie, not playing a game....but not in a goodway.

Anyway, I figure maybe you guys can tell me why you love it so much, maybe I'm missing out on some essential aspect of the gameplay...enlighten me. What can I say, I want to love the game; Rocket riding and a croc hat are tempting propositions.

-Kol.

edit: I did play the original on the PS, didn't care for it much either, but I chalk that up to maturity, I was only like 12, and fighting games were the rage back then. At 15 I finished MGS on my gameboy color, didn't find the story that amazing...

heavyness
02-09-2004, 08:52 PM
kwak,

did u play the first one the day it came out? i think that is where most of the MGS fans started. if you haven't played MGS until recent, you can't appreciate as much.

"I'm usually not a big fan of the stealth genre"

the first MGS help make the stealth genre mainstream. like playing the first resident evil, it was just different. if your not a stealth fan, your not going to like it. controls are hard to get use to, but after a couple hours, its second nature [same with the camera]. just like any 3D game.

but what makes MGS is the characters and plots. sure MGS2 got a little weird at the end, but MGS1 had an awesome plot that would rival any hollywood movie. i'll buy the new MGS:TS cause i liked the first one sooooo much. call it a special edition or director's cut [how many of you bought both versions of LOTR] i'm getting it. and everyone complains new games suck and they should go back to some classic games, well, you get what you ask for.

[kwak, i'm not yelling at you, just trying to explain. everyone is entitles to their own tastes]

Kwe
02-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Metal Gear isn't for everyone...if you don't like it, then it's cool. If you don't understand it what makes it special to some, even after you've played the games, then no one can tell you why it's so good. If you play it...then you either like it or you don't. You might be able to learn to like it, but you won't be able to truely appreciate the Metal Gear series if someone has to explain it to you.

I'm not yelling at you either...I'm just saying it like it is.

KolbyJukes
02-09-2004, 09:27 PM
I was just interested in why there was such a die-hard fanbase. I wondered what about the game enticed you so. Characters and plot...cool. That's all I need to know.

KWE, I wasn't asking you to make me like it, or convince me that
it's good, I just wanted to hear why others like it so much. Let's call it a discussion on why MGS kicks ass.

KOLE, yeah, I guess I must have played the original MGS right when it was released here in Canada, mind you I didn't play for more then about 2 days - my buddy bought it. I didn't finish it (the GB version) until a few years later.

I'm glad you guys could give a level-headed response. And about the stealth genre, yeah, I realize that MGS more or less defined/invented the genre...it's not that I hate all stealth games, like I said, I love Splinter Cell, it's just that I could never wrap my head around MGS.

I'm not yelling at you guys either... THIS WOULD BE YELLING! :scream:

thanks for the reply.
-Kol.

Kwe
02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
To me...it's the characters and the technology that make Metal Gear special. I love most of the characters because they're developed very well and they're not typical or common. I also LOVE movies so it helps that when I play Metal Gear, it feels like I'm playing a movie.

Neil
02-09-2004, 11:17 PM
If you really wanna know why, then maybe you can catch me on cgtalk IRC and if you got a few hours to burn, i can tell you.

But i'm not gonna bust into this thread about it, because it's the same thing about why do people liek "Silent Hill" or "Resident Evil" or "final fantasy" or "counter-strike" or....

KolbyJukes
02-09-2004, 11:26 PM
lol :thumbsup: maybe one day I'll take you up on that Neil.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.