PDA

View Full Version : Autumn, Eldar (3D)

Eldar
12-30-2003, 12:34 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/39903/autumn_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/39903/autumn.jpg)

******** UPDATE *******
Due to popular demand, I did a few tweaks. Removed DOF, leaving only a bit of haze / specular bloom in the far background, and the trees should fit the environment a bit better now.

Thanks for the input all!

Here's a little environment I did recently.

Done in 3DS Max 4.2, rendered with Vray, compositing in After Effects. All textures painted in Photoshop or designed in Illustrator.

The goal of this piece was not so much to achieve photographic quality of rendering, but to try to make an impression of autumn season.

Comments welcome, as I'm always eager to learn and improve.

You can also see this environment in motion in my demo reel, which can be downloaded from this CG Talk thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112454).

Eldar
12-30-2003, 12:53 AM
Wire:

http://www.eldargraphics.com/images/gallery_autumn_wire.jpg

Shaded view

http://www.eldargraphics.com/images/gallery_autumn_shade.jpg

Eldar
12-30-2003, 12:57 AM

vlad74
12-30-2003, 12:58 AM
I am really happy to reply first.The mood is just amazing. Really good colours.Front page.5 stars.

Eldar
12-30-2003, 01:09 AM
Thanks vlad74 :) You are too kind.

The whole scene is heavily layered. Background alone has 8 different layers for mountains and clouds. Purpose of this was to give depth to the background matte in animation.

tinrocket
12-30-2003, 01:45 AM
Very nice. I like the DOF on this piece and the other city scene on your site, and the emptiness really reminds me of the Mediterranean-esque city in Philip Pullman's 2nd His Dark Materials book, The Subtle Knife.

Mr. John

tejani
12-30-2003, 04:45 AM
FRONTPAGE WORK
GRAET PIECE OF ART
I HOPE I CAN LIVE THERE
DO U THINK SUCH RENDER CAN BE DONE BY THE DEFAULT RENDER?

Vidar3d
12-30-2003, 05:04 AM
Very nice render and great mood. I think the camera angle you chose is great and I like the detail and design on the cobblestone and bridge. My only tiny complaint is with the trees in the scene. They don't quite seem to "fit" in terms of their textures or maybe its something else. But that is really nit-picking. Great job.:)

boboroshi
12-30-2003, 06:10 AM
I personally think the depth of field detracts from this shot. It's beautiful, but the DOF kills it, more so in the background than in the foreground.

I don't believe you could ralistically get tha tDOF out of an SLR camera and the physical size this should be.

hussienhussien
12-30-2003, 06:24 AM
the leaves look like they have been painted on the ground....but other then that its superior.:bounce:

ashrafahmed
12-30-2003, 06:30 AM
i realy like your soft color/shadow and of course mood:buttrock:
- I think dof is too much. .
- the mood of water ( sharpen) didn't match with eviorment of all image( soft color) .

but impression of autumn .. :buttrock:

niut
12-30-2003, 08:11 AM
very cool atmosphere! I like a lot.

dzogchen
12-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Composition - foreground on the left of the pic is too empty to balance the background on the right.

Overall I like it.

Levitateme
12-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Looks like soemthing terry gilliam might have done. and it looks photo real to me. i really like it. it looks like a life model of a little city. great job

ghosty
12-30-2003, 09:32 AM
very nice work~~~ *2 thumbs up*

I love it

rode
12-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Very nice, but i think without DOF itt should be better. Try distance fog to adding more deep to the image.

Eldar
12-30-2003, 02:52 PM
ghosty
rode
dzogchen
niut
ashrafahmed
hussienhussien
Vidar3d

Thanks for all the comments guys :) All the input is much appreciated.

Originally posted by tinrocket
Very nice. I like the DOF on this piece and the other city scene on your site, and the emptiness really reminds me of the Mediterranean-esque city in Philip Pullman's 2nd His Dark Materials book, The Subtle Knife.

Mr. John

Glad you liked it! Architecture is a mix of various different styles (some existing and some made up), and Mediterranean architecture has partially been the inspiration.

Originally posted by tejani
FRONTPAGE WORK
GRAET PIECE OF ART
I HOPE I CAN LIVE THERE
DO U THINK SUCH RENDER CAN BE DONE BY THE DEFAULT RENDER?

Thanks Tejani!

I think much of the look of this piece is in texture work, color choices and post. Lighting setup isn't too terribly complex (only 4-5 main lights, and not more than 8-10 for local effects such as caustics). I think it can certainly be done in default render, but it would probably involve using more lights local to specific areas.

Originally posted by boboroshi
I personally think the depth of field detracts from this shot. It's beautiful, but the DOF kills it, more so in the background than in the foreground.

Some areas appear a bit fuzzier than they would normally in real life due to post processing work. Like I mentioned, photo realism wasn't the main goal. I was aiming more for the painterly fairy tale look. I will certainly take the advice into consideration and maybe tone it down a bit next time around to avoid confusion. :)

Originally posted by Levitateme
Looks like soemthing terry gilliam might have done. and it looks photo real to me. i really like it. it looks like a life model of a little city. great job

To be in the same sentence as Terry Gilliam is a compliment enough. :)

k4k
12-30-2003, 03:23 PM
varee vaah!!!
g8 work!!:thumbsup:

Sas.hun
12-30-2003, 03:46 PM
wooooow :drool:

I like it. Very nice work! :thumbsup:

Garma
12-30-2003, 03:55 PM
holy crap, that's what I call layering :surprised very good work.
the geese look too blue. Looks like an addition with the sky to me ;) Next I don't think you need to add more clues to the autumn. the leaves are good, maybe more brown in the trees for example. changing the title might help also ;) coz this is a wonderful piece

4/5 :thumbsup:

DirtySkillet
12-30-2003, 04:03 PM
I love most of it. But theres a BIG problem nobodys talked about before! That tree tree in the bottom right corner! It looks terrible. The trunk dosn't seem to be part of it at all. It's like its behind the leaves. I thought for a second that u just took a tree picture and layered it onto the trunk. Or is that what u did? well, FIX THAT! Then all will be A+

STRAT
12-30-2003, 07:08 PM
it has a lovely atmosphere, but the DOF really feks up the scale. it looks like a photograph of a model rather than a real life scene.
just turn down the near and distant DOF to make the image more real.

also, the orange clouds look like cotten wool stuck on.
the tree trunk looks too ridged and box like and the tree canopy is all blurred out.
the caustics aren't correct for the water either.

as i say, an overall pleasing image, but very cg'ish and model like to me :)

Digimatrix
12-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Beee-yooo-ti-ful:thumbsup:

Eldar
12-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks again for all the input, comments and compliments, everyone. :)

STRAT - As I said in one of the earlier posts, image is purposely more fuzzy than it would be in real world for mood purposes. The goal was to try to convey a sense of painterly quality. Perhaps it could be toned down a bit.

As far as orange clouds go.. well, they are not clouds, they are falling leaves. :p I posted an image further down in the thread that shows this pass.

You can see this environment in motion in my demo reel, which can be downloaded from this CG talk thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112454), which will hopefully make that a bit more obvious.

STRAT
12-30-2003, 07:37 PM
ah, falling leaves!!!! kool, silly me.

downloading animation now :)

BonoMan
12-30-2003, 08:15 PM
As usual the DOF makes it look like a miniature.

edit: other than that the image is nice...very nice.

Rogosh
12-30-2003, 09:06 PM
I really like the mood this scene has. You did a really good job at capturing a sense of atmosphere. Can I ask how you achieved the Caustics at the river? Is it possible to achieve such an effect without having to use a seperate renderer?

Eldar
12-31-2003, 02:09 AM
Garma - Regarding the color of geese. I considered that point, but the references that I could find of birds in flight at sunset, both photo and video, all seemed to look monochromatic with a bluish tint when facing the sky. I'm not sure why this is, in terms of real world physics, but I think this is what they called "Sfumato" since the Renaissance. A distance fog effect which makes far away objects less saturated and blend with the sky somewhat.

Rogosh - the caustics are animated texture map projected by several spotlights.

*** UPDATE ***

Due to popular request, I updated the image with the main concerns (check the original post). DOF is gone for the most part, except for a bit of haze / specular bloom in the far back. The trees should fit a bit better now.

I think it's working better. Please let me know what you think. :)

boboroshi
12-31-2003, 02:23 AM
The shot in the demo reel looks great. but the DOF isn't as powerful in that shot there is it?

th3ta
12-31-2003, 03:59 AM
Hey Eldar, this is Rudy!

I love this scene, great atmoshpere and soft colors, lighting, its awesome. Its not quite photoreal , not quite cartoony but its a wonderful inbetween fantasy world.

ibeliveicanfly
12-31-2003, 04:05 AM
woooow!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
i like your work,like your demo!!:love:

Frenkie
12-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Hey!nice enviorment!Fancy colors and nice birds:)

leigh
01-02-2004, 02:44 AM
The mood in this image is fantastic - the lighting in particular stands out, and the tones you have chosen really work well together :)

*plugged* (and thanks for the email, sorry I've been late in acting on it, I've been away on a short holiday)

One thing that strikes me as a little odd about the picture is that somehow (I can't really explain why) this scene looks like it is minature, as opposed to full scale. Needless to say, I think it's lovely :)

LostSoulą13
01-02-2004, 03:22 AM
HAHAH YeeYaaa. Toled You Eldar!!!! it will make it to the front page. Well looks good as I already toled you in class and stuff. Good Job:applause:

DoLeeP
01-02-2004, 03:40 AM
:thumbsup:

Gyan
01-02-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Leigh

One thing that strikes me as a little odd about the picture is that somehow (I can't really explain why) this scene looks like it is minature, as opposed to full scale.

It looks miniature because, looking at the bridge, the eye-level of the camera with respect to the ground falls somewhere near waist-height. That disproportion is the reason.

TheNeverman
01-02-2004, 03:51 AM
The camera FOV also creates the 'minature' effect...

Beautiful work though...
n8

opus13
01-02-2004, 03:55 AM
as well as the water distortion... the waves are a bit too high, but everything else is right on in proportion. water effects and dynamics dont scale too well in teh real world, to as soon as the water scale is off, it changes the dynamic of everything else.

great job though!

phoenix
01-02-2004, 03:59 AM
very impressive work

E.Z. Schwartz
01-02-2004, 05:03 AM
I really like it. The only thing I think needs work is the trees. They don't look autumny enough, they are too green and full. I think they should be more orange and yellow like the leaves on the ground.

jussing
01-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Beautiful -- what I like most is definately the paint job on the bridge. Niiiiice. ;)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Raul-Reznek
01-02-2004, 08:48 AM
this is really nice

Ch3
01-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Eldar really good work... I really like it as I like this type of architectural images with proper lighting.
About the 'minature' effect and the DOF I want to add that with most of the SLR lenses in reality, by the time you can focus to the building on the left(which will be more than 5-10 metres), you can focus up to infinity. But dont bother to reply on that or make any changes as I read all your previous replies and I already know your answer :)
Also I was thinking about the water... by the time there are leaves on the ground, some leaves must be added floating on the water as well.

keep up the good work

Lars
01-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Wow :applause:

Very beautiful picture you got there
No crits from me

omness1
01-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Nice BLZ look.

Modron
01-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I also got a feeling of it being in miniature. Something to do with the DOF I think. Also, I thought your caustic texture was too hard, but overall, it strikes me as a well composed, really nice picture. I actually kind of like the miniature feel to it, though I'm not crazy about the carvings on the bridge, I think it would be better if it were more subtle. Anyway, it's really nice, and i like the way you rendered it.

Kel Solaar
01-02-2004, 11:17 AM
I felt in love with the mood of your picture. it's really amazing, the overal softness of the picture is beautifull! very good job!

D.Q
01-02-2004, 12:24 PM
cool:buttrock:

hesido
01-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Very nice image, that looks like a painting and not a render.

My only concern is, the leaves look too much away from the ground as if floating, ok I know the leaves aren't flat and some maybe moved in air with a slight wind, but still they all look a little floating to me (you can add motion blur to the ones affected by wind..)

rquinn
01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
great piece
the sky is a little to dark in the right corner unless a storm is coming
and the water texture seems to repeat itself
other than than that the feel of it is great
i like the global illumination rendering without the water

dpvtank
01-02-2004, 04:30 PM
this is great work. It reminds me of warcraft 3 cinematics and minas tirith.

yes...odd, but it feels like the combination of those two.

Quarob
01-02-2004, 05:01 PM
I love the bridge :p
Congrats

Nimrad
01-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Very nice environment effect, reminds me of Mario Sunshine and that is not a bad thing.

Nims

amphex
01-02-2004, 06:14 PM
I cant seeeeeeee itttttttttt :cry:

Eldar
01-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry folks. Bandwith has been sucked dry. It appears 55 gigs was used since last night.

Will try to get more allocated asap.

Eldar
01-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I just ordered 40 more GIGs of bandwith which should be active within an hour (so the tech support guy says).

Ivyn
01-02-2004, 09:08 PM
I'll be damned if this isn't my wallpaper right now!

the__head
01-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Everything looks great, I agree with most of the critiques so far. The one thing that my eye is immediately drawn to is the water. The ripples are far too uniform and too large. Also, the caustics would not be that obvious and repetitive, and they would most certainly fade more as the depth of the water increased. Other than that, looks very nice. And soothing.

siquier
01-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Beautiful place, gentle and pleasante ambiance and good coloring. I like it

ahmedtharik
01-10-2004, 12:25 AM
:thumbsup: excellent work buddy. I just like ur work

Torquesmacky
01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Nice work! Can tell you spent some time on this and it shows!

To me though I get the sense that I’m looking at a model rather than a real place. Also the composition seems to be out of balance. The left side of the image is rather empty compared to the buildings on the right. But overall fantastic work! :beer:

Eldar
01-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. :)

Especially, I have to say I am honored by the positive feedback from niut (great admiration for your painting style) and siquier (unbelievable 3d environments).

Torquesmacky - Upon some reflection, I believe senses of scale are challenged due to the fact that there is no reference that we can go by. This occured to me the other day when looking at one of the "making of Return of the King" books in a book store. It appears they faced similar challenges in several shots. Namely the shot with the fall of Isengard where they shot miniatures being washed away by river. It seems compositing human sized figures into the scene did the trick and helped restore the sense of scale. This is probably why I haven't been getting any complaints about this issue regarding my animation of this environment, which has a human character present to help with perception of scale.

Just some random thoughts :)

wind3D
01-14-2004, 11:38 PM
the only criticisim i have for this beutaiful peice of art work, is that it lacks action.
the only action in the scene is the birds flying. it would be 100% better if it had little peasants walking around with their wheel barrows and vegetable stands etc. of course someone canoeing down the channel in a dugout canoe. great work.

DoLeeP
02-12-2004, 11:34 PM
nice work I like it alot:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.