PDA

View Full Version : car:low poly aston

Dirtystimpy
12-29-2003, 08:18 PM
I was hoping to get some feedback.

I am in the process of learning to use Unreal in my spare time in the coming weeks. ( I haven't used unreal yet, just seen demonstrations. I'll start using it next week, just impatient)

I have researched this board, and seen many character models, but not many car models.

so, I have just started this car with plans on taking it into unreal. (remodeling one of my high res cars)
As you can see, its a long way to go, but I need some tips and critique please..

#1. the grill - what is the best way to tackle the grill? should I make my map a .tga and just map the grill?

#2. regarding the wheel rims - is it commom practice to use a map as the rims, or model them out?

#3. last, the main body is 346 faces so far, Rip it apart

low rez car
http://www.heuett3d.com/images/astonlow.jpg

my old high res version
http://www.heuett3d.com/images/01_AstonRed.jpg

Oh, before I get the "depends on what your using it for answer"

please gear the answer to if It was for a racing game. Thanks!!!

Supervlieg
12-29-2003, 08:37 PM
I would say use a map for the grill, no need to model that. It won't make a huge difference visually if you model it, since it's basically a flat surface. And if its a racing game you're bound to see only the back of the car.

Depends on the polycount youre aiming at really. Got poly's to spare, model it. If youre running low on poly's use maps. Usually you can get away with maps for the ingame models, or models of NPC's. And use poly's for the hero model if you can.

You could save poly's on the hood and on the doors. Use edge smoothing wisely to get some hard edges where you need em.
You might wanna add more verts to the sides of the air intakes on the front to soften up the roundness.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Dirtystimpy
12-30-2003, 04:30 AM
thanks for the tips supervileg.

Beroc-LOD
12-31-2003, 06:02 AM
1: I agree with suervlieg, leave the grill flat.... map it... unless you are doing something behind it, it will not be the most important part of the car. after all, you will mostly be seeing the car from the back... right?

2: Those particular rims... I would model them.... very easily done, they aren't overly complex. But that does depend on what all you are going to do with the car. Some games don't care so much about wheel polycount, some do. overly... I came up with a wheel that would work on that car, that are about 224 polys each... not too much, but they need an alpha channel. which may or may not be good for you.
http://www.lod3d.net/pic/wheel_224.gif

3: I agree though... the main body can go up to about 1000 total for most games. Soften it up some, and get some good edges... I dunno if I would model the hood and front or not, depends on the final application... To me, it is attention to detail... to others it would be a waste of polys. Do finish the side skirts... the bottom at the side is very detracting.

Other then that, good start... it will be a great model when you are done... very nice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.