PDA

View Full Version : Painter 4 or Painter Classic ?

Bliz
12-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Hello,

I want to get into Painter but don't have the cash for a new copy so I bought a copy of Painter 4 off ebay and a second-hand Wacom off a friend.
I didn't realise until I got the tablet that it included Painter Classic.

My question is.. which one is better for pro. use?

I've got both installed and both programs seem to have most of the same functions. Looking at the copyright notices and system requirements it looks like Painter4 was released 95-96 while Painter Classic was around 2000.

Painter 4 doesn't 'seem' to have layers which makes me think the newer code in Painter Classic would make that the option to use, but I'm just wondering if there is any functionality in Painter 4 that would make it better for pro. use?
Painter 4 seems to allow you more options to change nozzle and brush shape than Painter Classic but is this enough to offset the newer code advantage of Painter Classic ?

Jinbrown
12-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi,

Both Painter Classic 1 and Painter Classic 2 are very limited, appetizers to get people interested in buying a full Painter version. Currently, that would be Painter 8.

If you have Painter Classic 2, it was based on the full Painter version 7. Consequently, it uses the new Water Color technology and Liquid Ink brush category, among some other things introduced with Painter 7.

It also provides Layers, Water Color Layers, and Liquid Ink Layers.

You won't be able to add extra brush libraries or extra art materials libraries, though.

Painter 4, as you know, is a very old version and you may have some problems running it on new systems.

Instead of Layers, it uses Floaters and you'll need to read the Painter 4 User Guide to learn how to use them and post questions to other newsgroups, e-mail lists, and message boards in order to find people who are able to help.

Though I do have both Painter Classic 1 and Painter Classic 2, along with Painter 5, 6, 7, and 8 installed, I no longer have Painter 4 installed on my system. However, I have the Painter 4 User Guide handy, so if I'm around I may be able to explain things to you, even if I can't test them in the program.

If you can make Painter 4 run on your system, you may find it useful. For one thing, I believe it uses the old Water Color technology which a lot of people prefer.

I'd also suggest that you install Painter Classic 2 as you'll find other things useful there as well.

A couple of places in the wider Painter community where you may find help with Painter 4, from other long time Painter users:

Corel Painter Newsgroups
Add Server: cnews.corel.ca
Subscribe to: corel.graphic_apps.painter

Painter list at Topica.com
http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

Good luck,

DigArts
01-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Painter 4 had "floaters", which work essentially as layers as I recall. Unfortunately, Painter 4 technology is so outdated (floaters vs layers, not to mention the assorted implementation and UI differences from today's Photoshop standard, that learning them will prove daunting.

You might try purchasing Painter 5.5. Version 5.5 version was given away free with the purchase of the British PC magazine PC Format back in 2000/2001, so it shouldn't be hard to find, and cheap.

Painter 5.5 works more like today's PS, which will make your life much easier when it comes to layers. Further, you can use Painter 5.5 to upgrade to P8 at the upgrade price (use CNET Shopping search for some very good prices).

Your best bet is Painter 6, however. We prefer it over v.8 and use it for development to this day. So if you can find it for near the same price as P5.5, choose it instead. It's more like PS, which will lessen your learning curve. Further, it was the last version that introduced truly new features like tiling layers and pattern brushes.

Last but not least, we still have a P4 tutorial posted on our site. While it focuses on nozzles, it's a good primer on using P4 masks and layers. See http://www.gardenhose.com/jungle.htm or follow the Tutorials link on the front page and choose "Painter 5 Tutorials."

Good luck,
Dennis@DigArts

Bliz
01-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks a lot guys and sorry for the delay in aknowledging 'said replies.

It sounds like I need to use both versions. I'll keep with Classic for now and use 4 when I find out where it's better to use it.

Cheers guys! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.