PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop stroke path using Pattern

AniMo
12-29-2003, 04:20 PM
i really have problems to make my pattern flow with orientation to the path
instead of this my pattern seems to be distorted in curves or as having just a masked area driven by the path which unreveals
a static pattern lying behind it :(

is there a possibility to have my pattern realy aligned and prientated to my path ? like it looks cleanly on some straight strokes !?
my pattern should be lookin like a dotted line (white stripes)

thx for any advice and sorry for mmy bad english

http://www.ed-multimedia.de/mo/arsa.jpg

Ian Jones
12-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Illustrator is really a better tool for this. You can make a custom brush and draw patterns along a path with it. You can also try the text tool along path and just use - - - - - - - - - -

theGuest
12-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Actually PS7 and up will work just fine for this kind of problem/effect. You just have to know how to set things up to make it happen. ;)

Add a new layer for your path.
After creating your Path, choose the Brush tool and open the Brush Palette Options, then choose the pattern you wish to use.

Under the "Shape Dynamics" section/tab (within the Brush Options), look for the word "Control" under the "Angle Jitter" slider. Open that options menu and choose "Direction". And make sure the 'Angle Jitter' slider is at 0.

Choose the colour you want your stroke to be, switch to the Pen tool, right-click your canvas and choose "Stroke".

Done deal. :D

:bounce:

AniMo
12-30-2003, 03:52 AM
thx a lot :)
this info works great for me
just to sad i now finished my thing with usign text on path and "-" :D
but i will pick it up for the next project ;)

AniMo
12-30-2003, 06:35 AM
arg i was happy too early
i didnt get it to work
i found th options but setting the things u sad does nothing to me ^^
as i prooved the theoretical part practically afterwards :(

the texture setting just does nothing to m y brush instead i paints only the color i choosed continously(line)

did u mean the pattern stamp tool ?
but also this one cant have dynamics it seems
dunno what im doing wrong
i have attached this image to show my settings
for the pencil brush

the few bigger strokes with some texture look in the image are all done by using the pattern stamp tool and this looks crappy though no direction ...

straaaaaaange :(
http://www.ed-multimedia.de/mo/brush_setting.jpg

P.S i switched to all modes
from color burn to multiplay overlay etc...
nothing..:/

theGuest
12-30-2003, 09:01 AM
I don't understand why you're using a Texture for the Stroke...?

The method i outlined was for stroking with a custom brush, not a texture. That's completely different.

For the technique i outlined, you can use the brushes or pencil, that doesn't matter. It appears that your setting for the Stroke "Direction" (Shape Dynamics) is right, so it should be working for you. Just turn off the texture option you're trying to use. I'd also suggest you NOT use the Pencil tool as that tool is better for pixel art. It does not produce a smooth (anti-aliased) looking result for anything other then that.

Try it again now and see if it works ok.

AniMo
12-30-2003, 01:21 PM

you wrote i should choose the pattern !?
where else if not in the texture tab ?
i cant use a pattern anywhere else on a brush tool ^^
i dont think so at least
else plz point me to it :P
i really spend 1-2 hours searching for what uve said but with no success :(

theGuest
12-30-2003, 02:53 PM
No, by "pattern" i mean a custom brush pattern.
That's probably a bad way to explain that actually. Forget about "patterns" and just choose a custom brush.

If you don't have a brush that fits your need, simply create one. Draw out the path shape of your desired pattern, then under the EDIT menu choose "Define Brush". Now you can choose this special brush and apply it to your Path. And have it follow along the direction of the Path.

That make more sense?

PS: textures cannot be applied to a Path and conform to it by direction. Not yet anyway. ;)

AniMo
12-30-2003, 06:23 PM
hm yea got it
works now

but im still not happy :)

what i need is also i could make spaces in between the shape

the brush i difine is nonaddicted to the colors i had in the selection for brush preset
so my custom brush only gets the form
and so i cant have spaces in between i would like to achieve something similar to this, which i painted manually by hand
:cry: http://www.ed-multimedia.de/mo/helm_bump.jpg

it should be a brush with filled space and empty space
imagine this dotted lines would be a path and i had a brush with a 3 pixel white fill and 3 pixel empty or black fill
that would be nice
but like i said custom brush wont store color information just the shape and i have no control on this :(

theGuest
12-31-2003, 01:04 AM
It's very simple to add space between the brush strokes.

Open the 2nd top Options section: "Brush Tip Shape".
Look to the bottom where it says "Spacing". Move that slider to the right or left until you're satisfied.

Do this BEFORE you Stroke your path.

AniMo
12-31-2003, 01:32 AM
damn u really helped me alot
much thx for your effort :bowdown:
i will have a closer look to that brush options in general , seems to be very powerfull
and a good extension to my overhelming skillZ:rolleyes:

theGuest
12-31-2003, 09:15 AM
hehe u r welcome. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.