PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys/girls preserve your coordinates in highpoly models??

PIXAR
06-20-2002, 12:37 AM
imagine:

I create a highpolymodel for a animation (3ds max). When do you unwrap the mesh?

A. after meshsmooth, result: tons of coordinates to tweak in unwrap uvw edit mode.

B: before meshmooth, result: less to tweak, but coordinates wont be identical anymore, incorrect tex. coordinates.

There are a million tuts for lowpoly models, i never saw one for highres models, it can't be a identical procedure because of the meshmooth applied afterwards.

Please bomb me with helpfull advice, it's a important question for me

leigh
06-20-2002, 08:18 AM
Hmmmm... I presume you are using Max, eh?
Unfortunately, I've never used that method of modelling (I use sub-d, and I don't have problems when the polys get subdivided).

Ummmmmm...... surely the co-ordinates remain intact if you don't collapse your modifier stack?

PIXAR
06-20-2002, 10:58 AM
well, collapsing or not, from the moment i add meshsmooth, the mesh changes so the texture wont fit 100% like it used to do, right?:thumbsdow

leigh
06-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Hmmm... but that's just silly! Because it logically shouldn't mess up your co-ords, because isn't meshsmooth the last thing you do before rendering?
So surely they should take into account the fact that the UVs would already have been done, and therefore the co-ords shouldn't change :surprised
What if you do an unwrap before smoothing, then just edit it (the UVs) accordingly so that you have the basic shape, and then just use that as the basis for your actual image map.
That way, once you meshsmooth, then surely the image you made would still fit, even if the co-ords seem to change a bit?? And even if the image was slightly off, then you could just adjust it slightly so that it would?

PIXAR
06-20-2002, 12:18 PM
i realy realy hope so Leigh, am unwrapping now, i don't have a clue what other method to use if the uvw coordinates don't stay put after a meshsmooth.

thanks as always, yer a great person:beer:

kandyman
06-20-2002, 12:19 PM
If you are using max4, it should keep your UVs just fine.

In max3, they get messed up a bit :(

I usually map the control mesh, collapse, then add 1 smooth iteration and render my template with texporter or something similar.

marin

PIXAR
06-20-2002, 12:21 PM
thanks to you also, am gonna try that one for sure, painting on a light meshmoothed version should be a excellent idea.:applause: :beer:

ooh yes, i use max 4:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.