PDA

View Full Version : MDL file specs?

Sho Takahashi
12-29-2003, 11:48 AM
A friend told me to make an MDL model for him, the problem is I really don't know the "limits" of this format.

_poly limit?
_Texture format and size?

THanks

RmachucaA
12-29-2003, 04:37 PM
as far as i know, .mdl is used mainly for half life, and the file format is supported by mikshape, a basic 3d package that is freely available. So i guess the limitations would be not within the file format but within the game you are going to use it for.

Sho Takahashi
12-29-2003, 04:58 PM
So I can use as much polygons and texture size (or format) I I want. I remind that in MD2 models you can't use more than 800 poly and a 256*256 bitmap as a tex.

Thanks

Dieblein
12-29-2003, 05:01 PM
The limitation is Milkshape. If you´re working with it theres a certain limit in the poly count. But as much as I remember, there is no limit in texture size besides to the correct ratio.

I can´t tell you exactly but I think around 1800 polygons...
Of course you could export a higher poly but of what use would it be?

Sho Takahashi
12-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Of course you could export a higher poly but of what use would it be?

A better looking Mesh.

But if i model a 2500 character in 3ds max then export it to milkshape to animate it is it ok?

In Milkshape i think that the polygon limit is 16 000 not 1800.

[BR]TADŽ
12-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Hi

Take a look in www.polycount.com

Too many people make models for Half Life and UT2003 and other games, by using milkshape and other programs ...

kleinluka
12-30-2003, 01:45 AM
having worked with the half-life engine for years i hope i can be helpful for you.

mdl doesnt support any texture files that are higher than 8 bit (256 colors), furthermore you may not want to cross 512˛ in your UV's as this may lead to more problems or won't even let you compile into the format at all. So the texture format has to be an 8 bit bmp. check out http://collective.valve-erc.com - they should have some info available. if not directly on the site, download the HL1 sdk, i know for sure there is some documentation on MDL in there.

good luck,
dan

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.