PDA

View Full Version : Max frames for UT2k3 walk / run cycle

Seven
12-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Hi

Very simple and quick question I hope. How many frames do you think is the maximum you can get away with for a UT2K3 walk and run cycle.

Default in the game seems to be 20 for run and 24 for walk. Ive seen custom models fo as high as 30 for run and 34 for walk.

Could I realistically go higher ? Or would it just not work ingame.

Cheers

CameronC
12-28-2003, 05:23 PM
as far as I know the frames can be as many as you want. The custom UT2003 characters have 20 or 21 frames per walk cycle.
I believe if go too high it can cause framerate problems (especially if you have 12 characters in a map all doing 80 frame walk cycles).

chrisdejoya
12-29-2003, 06:15 AM
plain and simple. you can get away with as many as the hardware can handle, specifically the RAM.

unreal's engine doesn't have any hard-coded limits, it goes as high as the machine can go. got this bit of info at:

udn.epicgames.com

if you check the out of the box walk and run anims, they go up to about 11 to 15 frames, but i'm not sure about how many keyframes they're squeezing into each one..

have fun. :)

Delta_5
12-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Generally i would keep the frame number to what ever the default character is, as it has the least slide. unless your animating for a mod with a different run/walk speed in which case it will take some good communication between your self and the programmer. but usually i start from default, i believe the characters name is gorge.

heres a character i did as a test, the walk cycle is pretty good for judgeing the amount of slide you get in movement. although my run cycle for this particular char is 1 frame movement. if you know the char you'll understand why :p

http://www3.telus.net/public/a4a86353/TachikomaMod.rar
cookie for anyone who gets what it is

Seven
12-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks alot guys, most helpful.

chrisdejoya
12-30-2003, 12:23 AM
speaking of which, anyone know by how much the characters run forward per cycle, and what the world units in Unreal are?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.