PDA

View Full Version : Used mirai ??Anyone?

Whistler2k
06-19-2002, 09:32 PM
OK, so it seems IZware is no longer! This means I can`t get Mirai, thoug I want to!

So, is anyone there who want`s to sell his version! Or, Is it allowed to use the version now without buying it? (Don`t think so ;-)

Any help is welcome!

Thnx

Paul L. Ming
06-20-2002, 07:13 AM
Hiya.

I second that question...sort of. I dont' have the $$$ right now for Mirai (well, not the retail price anyway; used, maybe ). I remember attempting to get an evaluation version of it when I was looking to pick up a new package (I ended up going with MAX 3), but the Mirai folks basically ignored me because I'm not a "big name" guy or a company. "Oh well", I thought "Their loss."

Now, I'm pretty sure I'll have the budget to pick up another package this year some time. I emailed the Mirai folks...and got a bounced email. :(

I'm still looking for that "nigh perfect fit" software. I know there is a package out there that thinks the way I do...there's a chance it is Mirai (I *really* love the way that Wings3D works; but it's a bit basic still, and only a modeler really).

So....anyone have any advice for those of us wanting to snag a copy of Mirai? Any online stores that might have a few coppies "laying around" for sale? Or is camping out at eBay the best option?

LFShade
06-20-2002, 07:48 AM
The only way to get it these days is to wait until someone is willing to sell theirs. Once in a great while you can find such an offer over on the newsgroup at Izware (http://www.izware.com), but I think they probably sell quickly.

As for me, I just sit and reminisce about the short, short month I was able to tinker with Mirai on the eval license. Its lifeless remains are still on my hard drive after nearly two years, and occasionally I open up a file browser and just stare at that beautiful, useless executable. Sometimes I cry:hmm:

Iain McFadzen
06-20-2002, 08:51 AM
Oh for Chrissake stop being so melodramatic LFShade. Mirai has nice modeling and animation tools yes, but it is NOT the panacea of all 3D apps it's reputation suggests it is. It's built an almost mythical reputation on the back of a bunch of artists (Bay, Feather, MK etc) who would be superb artists in any software, but using Mirai won't automatically make a mediocre artist into a great one.

kandyman
06-20-2002, 12:09 PM
plus, mirai is very dated in some aspects, too, so it's definitely not an all-round solution, you'll need another package to go along with it.

I use Nendo and Max which work together really nicely.

marin

Whistler2k
06-20-2002, 01:04 PM
kandyman: So you model in Nendo and then animate in MAX??

I was thinkin of modelling in Mirai and then animate in Maya. Well, that was the plan ... :-)

LFShade
06-20-2002, 04:55 PM
The melodrama was intended as a little joke, Iain:p

Anyway, say what you will - I loved Mirai. And for the record, I've never said it was the be-all, end-all tool for modeling, or any other task for that matter. I have a history on this board of advocating artistry over any sense of software superiority, and have not once claimed that any one program is better than any other. They're all just different. And being so, a certain program's workflow is bound to suit some artists more than others; that is the case with Mirai and myself. It fit me like a glove:)

kandyman
06-21-2002, 12:57 PM
nendo and max, like i said. Nendo behaves much better than Mirai, and the only things I miss are edge ring select and magnets (both of which are in wings, but wings is too slow for me).

Max with meshtools is also usable, but the viewport navigation in Max plain sucks.

-marin

LFShade
06-21-2002, 07:24 PM
I do enjoy Nendo still. But I miss more than just the edgering select and magnets from Mirai. With the advent of Meshtools I can model in Max nearly as easily as I could in Nendo or Mirai. But when I start getting beyond modelling, I find that I really miss the skeletal and displacement tools, and a number of other little features that just made Mirai a little easier for me to use than Max. I can probably acheive a similar quality of results in Max that I could have in Mirai, because the outcome is largely a matter of artistry. It just takes me more time and brain-power to do what I do in Max, and that's why I wish I had Mirai to do these things with. Make sense?

sinistergfx
06-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Hey, if you like the modeling workflow of mirai/nendo; check out Wings3d: http://www.wings3d.com (it's open-source freeware too!)

kandyman
06-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Heh I know that Mirai is way more powerful in the skinning/animation dept. than Max, it's just that I never got that far with it... :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.