PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Char: Female unclothed.

geosync
12-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Hello,

I would really appreciate comments / critiques etc on this character I have created. She is naked and showing the bits which may offend some people so I apologise in advance for that. I thought it was important to keep the "finer" details of the female form while modeling the naked version.

This model will be the basis for all female characters I generate for my game, but I will make derivatives for each version ie. fat, thin, short, tall, change the texture for different skin colour / faces etc. and then clothe them.

She is made of 700 polys, modeled in LW 7.5 and posed using bones in Layout. The texture is 256x256x24.

All comments welcome.

Andy H.
http://www.geosync.ozefamily.com/vfx/lowpoly_chars/Female1b_Poses.jpg

Supervlieg
12-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Its an oke start but I think it needs more work.

-The mesh needs to be more cleaner around the belly and waist area.

-The head looks okay but the neck and the connection to the torse needs better defining.

-Her boobs are way too pointy and flat, they're almost men-like. Try to round them out and make em more like they are influenced by gravity.

-Its hard to judge from the views, but the arms look too long. The upper tose might also be a bit too long.

-Her shoulders seem to be to wide.

-Try adding poly's to the joints for better deformations.

Good luck. Sorry if I might seem a bit harsh.

geosync
12-28-2003, 04:10 AM
Excellent review there! Thanks very much :)

These are exactly the comments I need... you are not harsh at all.

I'll work the model again and post an update when Im done.

Andy H.

cris castro
12-29-2003, 05:10 PM
use more polys

Supervlieg
12-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by cris castro
use more polys

Whoa, thats a usefull post

There are actually lods of games that use that amount of polys for ingame models. You could say the polycount is dependant on the game type.

Waiting for the update...

cris castro
12-29-2003, 10:15 PM
its ok

geosync
12-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Whats the typical poly count for ingame characters? I don't wanna exceed about 1500 really but if more games are doing that I could certainly smooth out some of the hard edges.

Andy H.

Beaneh
12-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Like supervlieg said.. it depends on the type of game..

Supervlieg
12-30-2003, 04:53 PM
For a shooters main character try around 2000/3000 poly's.

Adventure game around 1200/1500

For a RTS type game try around 500.

If it's a fighter you can do around 10k/15k.

But these are averages and they still depend on what else has to be drawn by the game engine.
If you have a shooter with really large outdoor levels with lots of stuff and characters running around the polycount should be far less. But if you have an indoor type shooters with lots of small rooms you can go higher.

And with the next gen consoles you can usually use higher polycounts as long as you provide LOD's. Just set a limit for yourself and try to stay under it. Or compete in a competition with a set limit.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.