PDA

View Full Version : The Best Way???

Teckniel
12-27-2003, 03:49 PM
what is the best way to learn painter??

is it strating with a dowing paintovers or not???i have the wow book but is this a good book to strat or not??

Jinbrown
12-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Hi,

In any case, no matter how you plan to use Painter, the first thing is to learn about the interface:

What's in each of the palettes and how to manage palettes,

What's in the palette menus,

What's in the main menus,

Keyboard shortcut commands,

Using Custom Palettes,

Painter maintenance tasks such as deleting the Pre-built Brush File when it becomes large (or after eash Painter session), keeping the Scripts and other libraries from growing too large by creating your own custom libraries to contain custom scripts and custom art materials,

If your main use of Painter will be doing paintings:

Learn what each brush category contains and how its brush variants work by opening a large white Canvas and testing all of the brush variants in each brush category, making notes when you find something you like,

Learn how to use the controls found in both the Property Bar and Brush Creator,

Read the Visual Guides linked at the bottom of the page when you click Help > Tutorials (and save them to your hard drive since Corel may remove them when the next Painter version is released,

Become familiar with the Painter 8 User Guide and refer to it often as it contains a lot of useful information.

Learn about the Layers palette, the various kinds of Layers (Default Layers, Water Color Layers, Liquid Ink Layers), and using Selections (Saved Selections are Alpha Channels that appear in the Channels palette list), and how to use Painter Layer Masks and Alpha Channels.

Learn about Clone painting and the File > Clone feature as it can come in handy frequently, even if you are painting original work, not painting based on a Clone of an image or photo.

That's a start, and a good basis for whatever you do.

Others here can help you with specific painting styles and share their own processes.

Happy Painting!

Teckniel
12-27-2003, 07:43 PM
thx for the information :) so i should up start reading my painter 8 wow book then
cause the most is explaind in that book

Frindely regards Teckniel

Jinbrown
12-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi,

I don't think that most of the step by step basics are explained thoroughly enough for a Painter beginner in The Painter 8 WOW! Book. It's better for people who already know the basics mentioned in my message above.

It's a great book for inspiration, techniques, etc., after you understand the Painter software itself.

Read it and enjoy it, and soon you'll be able to use those techniques without so much confusion.

Take time to read the Painter 8 User Guide, though.

There are some errors in it, so if you feel confused just post a message and ask.

Be sure to mention the chapter, section, and if any, the sub section. Also include your platform and OS version as that will help us to answer your questions better.

Lunatique
12-28-2003, 02:07 AM
Also remember that learning a piece of software and learning to be an artist are two different things. One is a tool, the other is understanding theory and know how to apply them--and also training eye/hand coordination. A piece of software like Painter is pretty easy to learn--you can be painting in it and doing a fully finished piece on your first day. But, knowing how to draw/paint and being able to do it well takes years.

Teckniel
12-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Im studing art @ the academie so my way is to translate everything i learn to painter

i have now a small wacon tablet and if i draw with it everything is not correct is that normal with a small tablet?

Lunatique
12-28-2003, 12:15 PM
You need to elaborate more. What does "not correct" mean?

Teckniel
12-28-2003, 12:24 PM
when i draw for example the line get on a defferent position and all like when i draw a cube the lines ar to far its hard to explain

whats the best tablet for drawing else i just buy i new 1?

Lunatique
12-28-2003, 02:09 PM
As in you can't draw what you want with a tablet? Maybe you're just not used to it yet. No tablet is "better" for drawing. They all do their jobs fine. I've never heard of a case of defective tablet upon purchase, so that's probably not it. Maybe you should post an example picture? It's kind of hard to tell if it's your inexperience with a tablet, or your inexperience with drawing in general at this point.

BTW, I hate to point this out because it's kind of annoying when people do it, but you might want to add some punctuations to your sentences. As they are, it's kind of hard to read and understand what you're saying. Proper grammar is always a good idea when communicating with text.

Teckniel
12-28-2003, 02:20 PM
sorry for that but somtimes its hard to explain cause english is my second language

i will make a sample of what i mean later on

kraal
12-31-2003, 04:10 AM
i would suggest using the computer and tablet as a final stage. just draw on paper and scan it in.......

as far as best way to learn. it all depends i was an artist, pencils inks and airbrush, for 5 years before i touched a computer and that doesnt include the time learning to be an artist. so to me a computer was just a tool. I dont know what 60% of the tools in painter can do. I just know what i need to use it for to complete my drawing and i learned most of that from online tutorials, playing aroung and the help file.

MasonDoran
12-31-2003, 11:45 AM
supposing u know how to draw.....and even paint already, here are my tips on going digital.

first thing is....start simple.

Learning any software requires that u mess around with it a few days doing a test project. In this way u famaliarize yourself with the app....and u discover your own process of working and eventually u know enough about the app to start asking questions beyond the extents of the help files.

In my case...i started using painter just yesterday. I already know Photoshop very well so i wanted to give this app a go. I naturally approach the app coming from an Adobe UI process. By the end of the day....i was getting the results i wanted.

I painting fairly photo realistic....as my style dictates. My basic tools that i use are pretty simple.

Detail Airbrush.....i can draw with it...gives me decent lineweight and it colors well without giving me unwanted colors....using the alt key in tandem makes things very fast for doing manual gradients n such. I use this tool the most.

Wet Acrylic soft.....I use this for blocking in color....it mixes the colors well, creating some nice new ones....say i paint orange on top of purple....it will mix the color very similar to what it would do in real life which is what i love about Painter. It will also blur and give texture to painting which is great for removing the lifeless airbrush look.

Round Blender....i needed a fast smudging tool....and this seems to be the easiest and most predictable to use. It gives a slight texture to break anything that is to smooth and yet gives enough pull to push the paint around.

This was always the same tools i used in Photoshop...but as i go i am sure to discover new tools as i try to push a more painterly quality to my work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.