PDA

View Full Version : Constrain or Parent question.

Levitateme
12-27-2003, 06:10 AM
My character has a Helmet on his head. i parented that to the neck joint. i later opened the scene, and th helmet was way off in Z and Y axis. so i unparented and set all the values of the Helmet back to 000. so its were it should be again. i was curious should i just point,orient constrain the helmet to the neck joint?i don tknow why my helmet flipped out in the first place. but i thought i heard somethign about you should'nt parent stuff to joints?

thanks for any help.

verbal007
12-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, are you using any type of funky rig in the neck? In any case, you might want to consider parenting the hat to a joint in the head, instead of the neck... just simpler in the long run. Do you have an example of the file that I could take a look at?

Originally posted by Levitateme
but i thought i heard somethign about you should'nt parent stuff to joints?

If that were the case, a lot of animators would probably be pretty dissapointed... at least I would. Personally I like to parent scrap geometry to joints as proxys, to get realtime feedback in the viewport (unless you're usin motionbuilder, then just SKIN it baby!). Poly's or Nurbs... it really shouldn't give you any problems, as it's just a tranform node (I assume).

Hope ya figure it out. A file would help. *shrug*

- Jeremy

Matt Leishman
12-30-2003, 05:16 AM
I always like to group the intended child object to itself before parneting it to any joint. After grouping it to itself I then parent the new group node to the joint. I find that taking advantage of maya's hierarchal structuring in this way really helps the stablility of my rigs. But that's just me and my 2 cents.

galactor
12-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Take notica that a Point Constrain, only will keep your head at the same place as the neck joint. So if your neck rotates, the head will not notice that.

:: Galactor ::

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.