PDA

View Full Version : That stupid border select

TheWriter
12-26-2003, 09:42 PM
When you select the entire image, then want to shrink your selection a few pixels, how do you pull this off, when that Border keeps getting substituted for the other options?

I cant even try to Smooth my selection.

halo
12-27-2003, 01:08 AM
i thought you were mistaken, but bugger me your 100% correct...what a nause!...whatever method you try, it does the same...!

the only way around it i have found is to select all, jump into quick mask or a new channel or a layer mask (the principle is all the same) and stroke the selection with a few pixels...then convert this into your new selection.

This is what enlarge and contract do anyway, and smooth is achieved by a little gaussian blur...which is the same method again. Its just this is done "under the bonnet" normally.

Have a mini-rant over at adobe's forums, they may listen or point out some valid reason (i cant think of any tho...)

Stroker
12-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Hey, I never noticed that before.

I never noticed before because I use an Alpha channel.
Start an new Alpha.
Select > All
Edit > Stroke using whatever settings
Then ctrl + click to load it

That's the way I've always done it.
Honestly never occurred to me to try Contract.

edit:
I just tried Border and it works for me just like how you would expect Contract to work in this situation. Although, it is feathered even though I have it set to zero.

dg
12-27-2003, 01:28 AM
What do you mean, you want to select just the border of a layer?

If it's that do this:

- Load Selection from transparency
- Contratc the selection
- Save the selection
- Load Selection from transparency again
- Subtract current selection with the saved one

I have a bunch of scripts that I made, I'll share with you guys ;)

I hope this helps, and feedback on the actions are more then welcome, in fact I will love to hear yours opinions.

See ya!

TheWriter
12-27-2003, 02:08 AM
Diogo, if I load selection from transparency, photoshop prevents you from contracting selection as well... You still get that pointless border function.

Man, I'm really looking forward to the excuse as to why some genious at adobe decided to screw up somethinig so bad, for something that should of been so simple.

If it aint broke, don't ****in fix it!

dg
12-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Hi TheWriter,

then I think I didn't get your point here, that thing I told you about does just like in the attached image, now you made me curious about what you want.

See ya!

PS: Have you check my action set? :)

Stroker
12-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Diogo, what you are missing is ctrl + a (Select > All).
After that, then try to contract the selection by a few pixels.

halo
12-27-2003, 12:42 PM
or even manually selecting the whole image by snapping to doc bounds also stops it....

Primitive
12-27-2003, 01:11 PM
This kind of stuff should be done just by the click of a button.

I just figured out how to do this another way:

- Select all (ctrl+a)
- Transform Selection (select menu -> transform selection)
- Make sure the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" button is checked
- Set a lower value than 100 in the height or width
- Bingo

TheWriter
12-28-2003, 02:13 AM
And what if you just wanted the corners rounded and not the selection made smaller? Hmm.. we can draft up steped solutions all night, but this is not something that we should even have to do.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.