PDA

View Full Version : hands: composition and colours

peekoot
12-26-2003, 08:31 PM
hi there...

i've been playing with hands i made recently... to me hands are very beautiful and truly amazing... and they make cg possible... :) also, i think that they are very important to the believeability (i hope this is spelled right) of the character... they say a lot...

anyway... these pictures are about composition, colours and emotion...

when you see these pictures... do they mean something to you? how about colours? do they tell something to you?

imagine these hands in some kind of underwater scene, deep blue background... maybe light blue instead of that light green light...

i would also like to hear comments on composition... and on pose of hands... do they seem natural?

that's it... hope to hear from you people...

and the images:

http://masta.on.neobee.net/vm_hands1_small.jpg
http://masta.on.neobee.net/vm_hands2_small.jpg

ps

oh yeah.... wich version do you like better?

[edit] i just replaced images with smaller versions [edit]

pyraxis
12-28-2003, 02:05 AM
Protection, as if the hands are guarding something very valuable and fragile. I like the top image better because the hands are closer together so there's more sense of an enclosed space between them.

Awesome lighting.

Drakaran
01-11-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm not seeing pics, just signs saying hotlinking is not allowed. could you paste your web page instead of the pics?

peekoot
01-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by pyraxis
Protection, as if the hands are guarding something very valuable and fragile. I like the top image better because the hands are closer together so there's more sense of an enclosed space between them.

Awesome lighting.

hey pyraxis... it's not exactly what i wanted, but close enough (in a certain way that's completely right way to see it)... you see it from a different angle i guess, and this is EXACTLY why i posted it here... :] thanks for comment... btw... both pictures are same hands position just from a different camera views... ;] but you are right... top picture definately brings better impression...

Originally posted by Drakaran
I'm not seeing pics, just signs saying hotlinking is not allowed. could you paste your web page instead of the pics?

ugh... free web space... they can be soooo annoying that i'd rather pay for web space... that's what they want i guess... anyway... images are now hosted from my (paid :]) webspace... now you can see them...

DirtySkillet
01-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did u get those Little places around the fingernails that let light through? This is truly stunning. U can attach many different emotions to this. I like the bottom one more. In this one, I see a small child reaching up, the top hand a narly stranger, some evil man reaching for the inocent child.

gman
01-12-2004, 12:42 AM
To me the image creates tension, I want the hands to grasp eachother strongly....to be relieved of their closeness. The're really trying to touch eachother, it's like there's a magnetic field between them. The warmth and energy in their palms really emphasizes this.

beautiful image.

Drakaran
01-13-2004, 10:53 AM
I really like the color job you did on the hands, the way the white color wash spread unevenly and isn't in the cracks of the skin is very realistic. the modeling is also wonderful.

only crit I can see offhand is that the tranlucency is too high and the light passes through the center part of the fingers too easily. if you adjust that down a little, I think you'll have it perfect.
*smile*

wonder job! *thumbs up*

Oinky
01-13-2004, 05:10 PM
these two pics mean total different things to me.

the upper pic gives me a feeling of hope, to be saved. it feels like the hands are about to connect.

in the lower pic its almost the opposite.
to loose the grip. fall away from the safety or even letting go.
trying to avoid the unevitable. loosing someone.
think the cameraangle gives the feeling of the upper hand trying to grab on, but not the lower one.

both angles are excellent, but i've to say that i'm more into the last one because it is more emotional to me.
dont forget to show us your update later.

Drakaran
01-15-2004, 08:57 AM
oops! just realized this was in the evocative section, so here goes.

generally, and even here, the hand that is open and facing palm up is a hand offered, such as in giving aid, showing they are empty (not going to attact), and the hand palm down is one of taking or reacting.

in both of the pics, I feel as if the one hand is reaching for the other, first the "younger"/smaller hand reaching for the "older"/larger hand, and then reversed in the bottom.

the bottom pic, I get the sense the "older" hand is reaching as to save the "younger" hand. where the hands are reversed in the upper, I feel more that the "younger" hand is reaching maybe to give... or connect with the "older" hand. The angle of the wrists and the position of whether the larger or smaller hand is on top evokes different messages. with the 2 you show, they are basically just the top one turned 180 for the bottom.

you might also try keeping the hand positions the same, but changing the angle of the wrists for a different effect.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.